• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Rugby Championship: South Africa - New Zealand (06/10/2012)

The Bok Team was Announced today:

1. Beast Mtwawarira
2. Adriaan Strauss
3. Jannie Du Plessis
4. Eben Etzebeth
5. Andries Bekker
6. Francois Louw
7. Willem Alberts
8. Duane Vermeulen
9. Ruan Pienaar
10. Johan Goosen
11. Francois Hougaard
12. Jean De Villiers
13. Jaco Taute
14. Bryan Habana
15. Zane Kirchner

16. Tiaan Liebenberg
17. Coenie Oosthuizen
18. Flip van der Merwe
19. Marcell Coetzee
20. Elton Jantjies
21. Juan De Jongh
22. Pat Lambie

So just the one change on the Bench with Coenie in place for Pat Cilliers

Strong team. Disappointed to see Morne Steyn miss out though ;)

I think the AB's side is set to be named at 6pm New Zealand time , which is about 7 hours from now.

I'd rather base my expectations of this game on the previous encounter between these two sides than last weeks games. Both teams have improved since then but I just feel we have more scope for improvement and with the game at home... well I see us as even favorites TBH. I think its going to be the smallest of margins that will determine who wins.

Here are the last 5 matches between the two teams for your viewing pleasure
smile.gif

[TABLE="class: tablefontsize"]
<tbody>[TR="bgcolor: #F3FFF3"]
[TD="bgcolor: green"][/TD]
[TD="align: left"]<nobr>15 Sep 2012</nobr>[/TD]
[TD="width: 28%"]New Zealand[/TD]
[TD="width: 20%"]<nobr>21 - 11</nobr>[/TD]
[TD="width: 28%"]South Africa[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR="bgcolor: #DFECD7"]
[TD="bgcolor: red"][/TD]
[TD="width: 24%, align: left"]<nobr>20 Aug 2011</nobr>[/TD]
[TD="width: 20%"]<nobr>18 - 5</nobr>[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR="bgcolor: #F3FFF3"]
[TD="width: 24%, align: left"]<nobr>30 Jul 2011</nobr>[/TD]
[TD="width: 20%"]<nobr>40 - 7</nobr>[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR="bgcolor: #DFECD7"]
[TD="width: 24%, align: left"]<nobr>21 Aug 2010</nobr>[/TD]
[TD="width: 20%"]<nobr>22 - 29</nobr>[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR="bgcolor: #F3FFF3"]
[TD="width: 24%, align: left"]<nobr>17 Jul 2010</nobr>[/TD]
[TD="width: 20%"]<nobr>31 - 17</nobr>[/TD]
[/TR]
</tbody>[/TABLE]

I think it will be a close match - I still see New Zealand as favourites, but I won't make any predictions until I have seen the NZ team named.

Last edited:
We can't expect Johan to make miracles, he's still young after all, we're never going to be at our most dangerous this year, a few of our players need some time to develop. Not that NZ doesn't have the young talent to match us but I feel like NZ is at their peak, which their young guns can keep them at whereas SA is still climbing.

I fully expect NZ to win, and won't mind if they do, getting to where NZ are is a process not something that's going to happen overnight, manage your expectations guys :).

I have all the credits I could put down on the All Blacks going for their clean sweep. Wouldn't even have had that many if not for them.

All Blacks:
Israel Dagg, Cory Jane, Conrad Smith, Ma'a Nonu, Hosea Gear, Dan Carter, Aaron Smith, Kieran Read, Richie McCaw ©, Liam Messam, Sam Whitelock, Brodie Retallick, Owen Franks, Andrew Hore, Tony Woodcock. Reserves: Keven Mealamu, Ben Franks, Luke Romano, Adam Thomson, Piri Weepu, Aaron Cruden, Tamati Ellison

I'm a bit disappointed in the changes to be honest. Savea has been in great form so should continue to start in the left wing. Don't mind the switch of Retallick for Romano though. 3 changes in the bench too - Franks for Faumuina, Thomson for Cane, and Ellison for Smith - I don't like any of these. Faumuina has looked good in his chances thus far so deserves another go on the bench, while I would rather have Cane or Vito instead of Thomson (it really just looks like they are trying to give everyone in the squad a go, which would be fine.... if we were playing under 10's). As for the last change on the bench:
:mad:

All Blacks:
Israel Dagg, Cory Jane, Conrad Smith, Ma'a Nonu, Hosea Gear, Dan Carter, Aaron Smith, Kieran Read, Richie McCaw ©, Liam Messam, Sam Whitelock, Brodie Retallick, Owen Franks, Andrew Hore, Tony Woodcock. Reserves: Keven Mealamu, Ben Franks, Luke Romano, Adam Thomson, Piri Weepu, Aaron Cruden, Tamati Ellison

I'm a bit disappointed in the changes to be honest. Savea has been in great form so should continue to start in the left wing. Don't mind the switch of Retallick for Romano though. 3 changes in the bench too - Franks for Faumuina, Thomson for Cane, and Ellison for Smith - I don't like any of these. Faumuina has looked good in his chances thus far so deserves another go on the bench, while I would rather have Cane or Vito instead of Thomson (it really just looks like they are trying to give everyone in the squad a go, which would be fine.... if we were playing under 10's). As for the last change on the bench:
:mad:

That's also a very strong team! Strength vs Strength.

I however think the Boks will be superior at the lineouts. It's going to be a tough test match, can't wait!!

That's also a very strong team! Strength vs Strength.

I however think the Boks will be superior at the lineouts. It's going to be a tough test match, can't wait!!

Not sure about that. We have been very good in the lineout this season (in fact for a number of years) - we have won 63/70 (90%) of our lineouts during the RC (South Africa are similar with 70/79 - 89%). We certainly got the better of South Africa at lineout time in Dunedin, but they look much better with Etzebeth and Bekker back. The key to the AB's lineout is the number of jumping options we have, with all off our loosies strong lineout options (Read is particularly good). We have probably our two best aerial locks in the country starting this week too - assuming Hore's throwing is good (which it usually is), I think we will be fine on our own ball. I don't think we will steal as much ball of South Africa at lineout time as we did in Dunedin though. I'm am a bit worried about how we are going to deal with South Africa's mauling this week, as we really struggled to stop them once they going in Dunedin......

Not sure about that. We have been very good in the lineout this season (in fact for a number of years) - we have won 63/70 (90%) of our lineouts during the RC (South Africa are similar with 70/79 - 89%). We certainly got the better of South Africa at lineout time in Dunedin, but they look much better with Etzebeth and Bekker back. The key to the AB's lineout is the number of jumping options we have, with all off our loosies strong lineout options (Read is particularly good). We have probably our two best aerial locks in the country starting this week too - assuming Hore's throwing is good (which it usually is), I think we will be fine on our own ball. I don't think we will steal as much ball of South Africa at lineout time as we did in Dunedin though. I'm am a bit worried about how we are going to deal with South Africa's mauling this week, as we really struggled to stop them once they going in Dunedin......

The reason for me saying was that last week, Strauss and Bekker clicked for the first time as hooker/jumper combo. Duane Vermeulen, Francois Louw and Willem Alberts are also not bad jumpers to have in the team you know...

The reason for me saying was that last week, Strauss and Bekker clicked for the first time as hooker/jumper combo. Duane Vermeulen, Francois Louw and Willem Alberts are also not bad jumpers to have in the team you know...

As I said, I think South Africa will be fine on their own ball. The Strauss/Bekker combo isn't going to be that effective on NZ ball though ;)

Vermeulen, Louw, and Alberts are all solid lineout options, but I wouldn't have thought they were anywhere near as good as Read (or Thomson, who we have on the bench). In any case they have barely been used this tournament at all: between them they have taken 5 lineouts (Alberts 3, Vermeulen 2) - an average of 1 per game. New Zealand loosies have taken 21 lineouts during the RC (Messam 3, McCaw 3, Read 15) - which is an average of over 4 per game....

As I said, I think South Africa will be fine on their own ball. The Strauss/Bekker combo isn't going to be that effective on NZ ball though ;)

Vermeulen, Louw, and Alberts are all solid lineout options, but I wouldn't have thought they were anywhere near as good as Read (or Thomson, who we have on the bench). In any case they have barely been used this tournament at all: between them they have taken 5 lineouts (Alberts 3, Vermeulen 2) - an average of 1 per game. New Zealand loosies have taken 21 lineouts during the RC (Messam 3, McCaw 3, Read 15) - which is an average of over 4 per game....

That means we trust our Locks more at the lineouts than you do... :p

Gear is in :D by why against SA :? gear can't catch a ball :? and SA likes kicking :? anyways...

why was ben smith dropped :? weird... Tamati included what is Hansen telling us :?

Thomson over vito/cane :? - Thomson gets the tries, but does not do what he is suppose too :p

75 000 tickets sold as per yesterday afternoon, not bad and I bet you this will only happen in SA

75 000 tickets sold as per yesterday afternoon, not bad and I bet you this will only happen in SA

[***** mode]Yes but South Africa has 45 million people so that doesn't count!!![/***** mode]

And those 40 million don't even bother to watch the Springboks. Having 75000 people in Soweto for the Springboks is amazing! The only other stadiums which have been packed for the Boks lately are Kings Park and NM Bay Stadium. Not even Newlands and Loftus were sold out for the Boks this year.

And those 40 million don't even bother to watch the Springboks. Having 75000 people in Soweto for the Springboks is amazing! The only other stadiums which have been packed for the Boks lately are Kings Park and NM Bay Stadium. Not even Newlands and Loftus were sold out for the Boks this year.

Well Soccer City can take more than 90 000 people, so there are still about 15000 tickets available...

Yes, but in the last 2 days I wouldn't be surprised if those final tickets are still sold. It's not like we're playing Italy or Scotland, this is a Test against the All Blacks.

Yes, but in the last 2 days I wouldn't be surprised if those final tickets are still sold. It's not like we're playing Italy or Scotland, this is a Test against the All Blacks.

True... out of my family, we are now 18 people going... My cousins also bought tickets

Don't know if the Hurricane boys noticed but its basically the entire Hurricane & ex-hurricane backline...

Gear, Nonu, C Smith, Jane + Weepu and Cruden...

Latest posts