• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Rugby League World Cup Game 1 - England vs Australia (plus opening ceremony)

Saints1

Straight Edge
Country Flag
England
Club or Nation
St Helens
With just four more days to go before the tournament gets underway I can contain my excitement no longer and I've started the match thread!

Unfortunately I won't be watching the game live because I will be at Anfield to watch Liverpool, but I will be recording the game, avoiding my phone and the internet and watching it when I get in.

Venue - Millennium Stadium, Cardiff
Kick off time - 2:30pm
TV coverage - Live on BBC1, coverage begins at 2:00pm.

So discuss away - teams will probably be named on Friday.

Australia: Team:
Billy Slater,
Brett Morris,
Greg Inglis,
Brent Tate,
Darius Boyd,
Johnathan Thurston,
Cooper Cronk,
Matthew Scott,
Cameron Smith (c),
James Tamou,
Greg Bird,
Sam Thaiday,
Paul Gallen.

Interchange: Andrew Fifita, Luke Lewis, Robbie Farah, Corey Parker

Pretty close to what I expected just had Hayne for Morris and Jennings for Tate off in the starting line up
I also had DCE and Nate Myles for Parker and Farah.

Any team aussie put out is full of talent so will be interesting to see how they go

England haven't named their team yet but Australia will definitely have the stronger squad.

Carl Ablett
George Burgess
Sam Burgess
Thomas Burgess
Rob Burrow
Josh Charnley
Rangi Chase
Leroy Cudjoe
Liam Farrell
Brett Ferres
Ryan Hall
Chris Hill
Lee Mossop
James Roby
Kevin Sinfield (captain)
Sam Tomkins
Kallum Watkins
Ben Westwood
Gareth Widdop

That's the England squad. No McIllorum, Graham or Hardaker who were expected to play. Hmmmmmmmm, I wonder why they weren't picked.....

A so solid line up, didn't expect anything else when considering their squad.
Should give some good running footie.

With just four more days to go before the tournament gets underway I can contain my excitement no longer and I've started the match thread!

Unfortunately I won't be watching the game live because I will be at Anfield to watch Liverpool, but I will be recording the game, avoiding my phone and the internet and watching it when I get in.

Venue - Millennium Stadium, Cardiff
Kick off time - 2:30pm
TV coverage - Live on BBC1, coverage begins at 2:00pm.

So discuss away - teams will probably be named on Friday.

You're some bloody tease you are.

I'll have to tape it and watch it when I get home regrettably.

A so solid line up, didn't expect anything else when considering their squad.
Should give some good running footie.

It's not England's strongest team, they've dropped several players for disciplinary reasons. I fancy the Australians to win by 20 points.

Are they expecting a big crowd? Shame that England's pre tournament has been such a mess, hopefully they'll rally for this one and start to play better, as a host it would be bad bad for the tournament if they performed dreadfully in this match. I have Oz by I believe 16 heading into this one on my picking comps.

I think we're set for about 50,000 which would be pretty good.

Carl Ablett
George Burgess
Sam Burgess
Thomas Burgess
Rob Burrow
Josh Charnley
Rangi Chase
Leroy Cudjoe
Liam Farrell
Brett Ferres
Ryan Hall
Chris Hill
Lee Mossop
James Roby
Kevin Sinfield (captain)
Sam Tomkins
Kallum Watkins
Ben Westwood
Gareth Widdop

That's the England squad. No McIllorum, Graham or Hardaker who were expected to play. Hmmmmmmmm, I wonder why they weren't picked.....

What do you think the final 17 will be and who looks likely for the halves and starting hooker?

1. Tomkins
2. Charnley
3. Cudjoe
4. Watkins
5. Hall
6. Chase
7. Widdop
8. G Burgess
9. Roby
10. Mossop
11. Westwood
12. S Burgess
13. Sinfield (Captain)

14. Burrow (replacement hooker)
15. Hill
16. T Burgess
17. Ferres

That's my prediction anyway.

Up for this now - wasn't too interested before, but the pre-game has got me excited.
Looking forward to seeing the Burgess boys out there.
Luke must feel pretty crappy seeing his three little brothers out there, but not him.

Anyone else think the Aussie fullback could have done more for Hall's try?

I haven't enjoyed a game as much as this in a long time! Great defence just now.

Edit: Sorry Tompkins, internet commenter's curse there!

Last edited:
A very decent game. Enjoyed it. That Aussie burst just before Half Time really killed England and they never got the momentum back full in their favour. That said they tackled well and kept working at it.

Very decent game by England but Australia really bounced back. Really happy with the first game. Now Wales - Italy.

Latest posts