• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Rugby quiz question

psychic duck

International
With the scores tied at 12-12 and 2 minutes remaining, who scored the winning try for Wales against Argentina in the 2009 Sevens World Cup?

Aled Thomas, I think

Correct. It was the Scarlets fly half Aled Thomas then of London Welsh.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Zsn_M-npcyI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen=""></iframe>

Aled+Thomas+IRB+Rugby+World+Cup+Sevens+Day+zySJoOcKYRDl.jpg

Next question: Which two players hold the international record for most tries in a year which they set in 2002 and 2003 respectively?

Correct. It was the Scarlets fly half Aled Thomas then of London Welsh.

Next question: Which two players hold the international record for most tries in a year which they set in 2002 and 2003 respectively?

Yep, 2002 and 2003 it was Ohata and Rokocoko with 17 tries each if I'm not mistaken.

Here's one:
Which New Zealand second row made his one and only appearance as a first half substitute against South Africa at Dunedin in 2008?
Just for fun, who also came off the New Zealand bench to win their last cap in that match?

Not inherently difficult but it was a few years back now.

No ESPNscrum now chaps, where is the fun?

Here's one:
Which New Zealand second row made his one and only appearance as a first half substitute against South Africa at Dunedin in 2008?
Just for fun, who also came off the New Zealand bench to win their last cap in that match?

Kevin O'Niell (I think?). I think that was also the game the Ricky Januarie scored a late (individual) try and stole the game from us!
No idea about question 2 though....

EDIT: maybe Rudi Wulf for part 2? I remember him playing that match...

Last edited:

The first question is O'Neil. The second I believe was Leon MacDonald?

Here's an easy one: Which player has scored at least two test tries against Australia, New Zealand, South Africa, France and the British and Irish Lions.

Last edited:
The first question is O'Neil. The second I believe was Leon MacDonald?

Ah yes, MacDonald sounds right - he was the player that Januarie chipped and outpaced!

Here's an easy one: Which player has scored at least one try against Australia, New Zealand, South Africa, France and the British and Irish Lions.

Easy - I will leave it for someone else :)

Yep, nice one lads!
Love the Rickyboy try.

As for Nick, have a mental block ATM. It's going to be bugging me until I figure it out.

Yep, nice one lads!
Love the Rickyboy try.

As for Nick, have a mental block ATM. It's going to be bugging me until I figure it out.

I revised my question to help out a bit.

Ag, now it is really getting me.
I have a feeling it is pre-2000, in which case I have no chance. Let's keep going though.

Hang on, I think I have it.
Sitiveni Sivivatu?

If that is correct, my question is this:
Who has beaten the All Blacks in three separate teams? [Hint, he is Welsh, but Wales is not one of the three teams]

There might be more than one answer (not entirely sure) so if you can justify it, fair game.

Last edited:
Ag, now it is really getting me.
I have a feeling it is pre-2000, in which case I have no chance. Let's keep going though.

Hang on, I think I have it.
Sitiveni Sivivatu?

If that is correct, my question is this:
Who has beaten the All Blacks in three separate teams?

There might be more than one answer (not entirely sure) so if you can justify it, fair game.

Yep Sivivatu it is.

Not sure who the player who has beaten the AB's in 3 separate teams is though. I'm guessing it was quite a while ago? My best guess would be Jeremy Guscott - I remember him playing the World XV matches in '92, and he was with the Lions in '93 (both teams recorded victories over the AB's). I'm sure he would have been in a England team that beat NZ too?

Oh Goody!! Time to put our thinking caps on!

Here's one:

Name a player who has represented Australia and South Africa at Senior International level?

Hint: It's not Clyde Rathbone

Here's one:

Name a player who has represented Australia and South Africa at Senior International level?

I know - he won a Rugby World Cup too (at least the one I'm think of did....). Played some League too if I remember correctly!

Last edited:

Here's one:

Tiaan Strauss with 11 caps for Aus and 15 caps for SA and 4 tries for each though tries isn't the reason he was so respected as a player but hated here for going over.

Rokocoko was 2003.

in 2002 it was Japanese player Daisuke Ohata. I believe

Yep, 2002 and 2003 it was Ohata and Rokocoko with 17 tries each if I'm not mistaken.

Correct.

In 2003, Joe Rokocoko's debut year of international rugby he scored 17 tries in first 12 matches. If you consider that he missed matches against Tonga and Canada at the RWC due to a minor injury where his replacement Caleb Ralph scored 4 tries, he may well have scored over 20 tries in a calendar year. Contrary to his first 12 matches, in Rokocoko's last 12 matches he only scored 2 tries.

Rokocoko equalled the record of Daisuke Ohata of Japan, who scored 17 tries in 6 matches in 2002. This included 6 tries in 3 games against Korea, 10 in 2 games against Chinese Taipei, and 1 against Russia. Not great opposition, but it is worth remembering that although Ohata's try records are doubtless due to playing the Asian 5 Nations annually, but he also had a great try scoring rate against harder teams as well.

Next question: Who this year broke the international record for most appearances as a substitute and who's record did he break?

Latest posts