• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Rugby quiz question

Oh you! ;)

Which All Black was an unused sub at least once before finally making his test debut two years later?

I'm sure this happened quite a few times in the amateur era, but I assume you want someone a bit more recent?

I'm guessing it is someone who was taken on an end-of-year tour as a development player... I just can't think of who that would be! I want to say Aled de Malmanche, but I'm pretty sure he did get some game time in his early tests (like 2 mins per test...).

EDIT: Actually I might have the wrong hooker - what about Hika Elliot?

Last edited:
Jason Eaton or Jamie Mackintosh
No and no.
I'm sure this happened quite a few times in the amateur era, but I assume you want someone a bit more recent?

I'm guessing it is someone who was taken on an end-of-year tour as a development player... I just can't think of who that would be! I want to say Aled de Malmanche, but I'm pretty sure he did get some game time in his early tests (like 2 mins per test...).
Nope
EDIT: Actually I might have the wrong hooker - what about Hika Elliot?
Yes! Hikawira Elliot sat on the bench v Wales and England in November 2008 before making his debut in November 2010 against Scotland.
Darwin, you are up!

Ok. There have been 49 hat-tricks scored in total at Rugby World Cups. Name the two players who have scored more than one hat-trick.

Loumu and Habana, going with the obvious ones here.

Good guesses, but neither are correct. Lomu has one hat-trick (vs England in '95), and scored 2 tries on four other occasions (vs Ireland in '95, and vs Tonga, Italy, and France in '99). Likewise Habana has a single hat-trick (vs Samoa in '97), and scored 2 tries on two other occasions (vs USA and Argentina in '07).

Joe Rokocoko is bound to be one.
The other must be one of Howlett, Gear, or Sivivatu. I'll go with Howlett as Gear and Sivivatu are a bit below him.
Habana scored 4 v Samoa and had a hattrick v Australia last year, BTW.

Joe Rokocoko is bound to be one.
The other must be one of Howlett, Gear, or Sivivatu. I'll go with Howlett as Gear and Sivivatu are a bit below him.
Habana scored 4 v Samoa and had a hattrick v Australia last year, BTW.

Yep, but I'm only looking for hat-tricks at Rugby World Cups.

Of those you have listed Howlett and Rokocoko have one World Cup hat-trick each, both in '07 (against Italy and Romania respectively).

Jeff Wilson scored a hat-trick in 1995 against Japan and 1999 v Italy. Don't know the other one.

Clerc is correct. He scored a hat-trick vs Namibia in '07, then again vs Canada in '11. Next question to heineken.

Hmm... a bit unexpected so I haven't had a great deal of time to research an intriguing question, so how about this:
This player became the first black Welsh international in 1986, who is he?