• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Rugby Union is the original

Originally posted by Canadian_Rugger+Jul 1 2005, 04:45 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Canadian_Rugger @ Jul 1 2005, 04:45 PM)</div>
the only people who care about League are a bunch of Aussies who like any type of footie and a few english wankers.[/b]
Canadian_Rugger, what the poop? Pull up, man! Pull up! -- You're in a severe downward spiral with this argument.

League is the most popular sport (by number of fans) in Australia & England - FACT. Therefore, what you're saying is that this majority either have indecisive taste or are masturbators?

And what part of St. Helens comment did you not understand?: <!--QuoteBegin-St. Helens

I have no problem in admitting that union is bigger on an international scale - it is!

Happy Canada Day.

And DonBilly, I'll be in Montreal this evening . . . ce soir, j'appelle mon épouse 'Montréal' HONK! HONK! WOOOOOT!

CA where are you in Montreal exactly? Because I live in Montreal, and how long will you be staying?

Originally posted by Canadian_Rugby_Guy+Jul 2 2005, 11:26 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Canadian_Rugby_Guy @ Jul 2 2005, 11:26 AM)</div>
CA where are you in Montreal exactly? Because I live in Montreal, and how long will you be staying?[/b]
Doh! I should have quoted DonBilly's comment. Apologies CRG.

<!--QuoteBegin-DonBilly

I'd like to be in Montréal this evening.

So, yeah, basically, I was just saying . . . I was going to 'hoo-haa' with my wife.

I know it's not funny, but I stand by wordplay.

notice how I shutup CaptainAmerica and your right my comment were out of line so apologies to all

btw CRG where do yah live in Montreal I will be going to University just outside Montreal in Saint Jean sur Richilieu at RMC's campus there and maybe we could sit down and talk rugby sometime
<
If they don't have rugger there I'll be looking for a club to play for aswell
<
but RMC has a large rugby program so I am sure Saint Jean has a team aswell.

Most of the teams I know in St. Jean are pretty ****. And you can do club rugby besides university rugby, which is advisable. I myself live in NDG, somewhat in the southwest part of the island of Montreal. Depending on where you are I'd recommend just coming to my club in Verdun, (the Wanderers). Once you've actually settled in I can find you more info.

Originally posted by Rassie@Apr 22 2005, 01:30 AM
SANZAR: "Rugby League is all about what you can do WITH the ball, and union is all about the CONTEST for the ball..." - 100% AGREE WITH YOU!

(Sorry i wrote with the caps, but that`s my opinion also)
I disagree with League being all about how you use the ball.

The majority of tackles are one of the Ruck or Dummy half runs. The only time the ball ever gets used is on the last or 4th tackle. Even then its only done in the red zone.

Look at some of the Tries the Allblacks, France and Wallabies scored on the Weekend (especially the Wallabies & France). Some the Tries had 7 to 10 sets of hands touching the ball when the tries were scored.

I have yet to see tries like that in League consistantly since ARL got pushed out of the game.

Originally posted by jonwebb+Jul 8 2005, 03:23 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (jonwebb @ Jul 8 2005, 03:23 PM)</div>
<!--QuoteBegin-Rassie
@Apr 22 2005, 01:30 AM
SANZAR: "Rugby League is all about what you can do WITH the ball, and union is all about the CONTEST for the ball..." - 100% AGREE WITH YOU!

The majority of tackles are one of the Ruck or Dummy half runs. The only time the ball ever gets used is on the last or 4th tackle. Even then its only done in the red zone.

Look at some of the Tries the Allblacks, France and Wallabies scored on the Weekend (especially the Wallabies & France). Some the Tries had 7 to 10 sets of hands touching the ball when the tries were scored.

I have yet to see tries like that in League consistantly since ARL got pushed out of the game. [/b]
Have a look at the kangaroo's in last years Tri Nations final and come back and tell me League players are bad attackers...

Originally posted by Ripper@Jul 8 2005, 06:51 PM
Or else it just shows how **** International League is...
Did you even watch it ripper? And don't go bagging League internationally, we all know it's no where near as big as union on that scale, but guess what? Soccer fans look at thr 91-0 thrashings displayed in union almost every year and think that Rugby Union is a laughing stock! It's all relative, so how about you live with it and get over yourself.

Originally posted by Canadian_Rugby_Guy@Jul 8 2005, 02:41 PM
Most of the teams I know in St. Jean are pretty ****. And you can do club rugby besides university rugby, which is advisable. I myself live in NDG, somewhat in the southwest part of the island of Montreal. Depending on where you are I'd recommend just coming to my club in Verdun, (the Wanderers). Once you've actually settled in I can find you more info.
yah problem is I am at a military university and not sure how that works. I will noyl be in Saint Jean for about a year after that I move on to RMC in Kingston where the rugby is alot better then what Saint Jean offers.

Yeah Saint Jean is more of a football place for sports, the Alouettes training camp takes place there.

Originally posted by sanzar+Jul 8 2005, 06:47 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (sanzar @ Jul 8 2005, 06:47 PM)</div>
Originally posted by jonwebb@Jul 8 2005, 03:23 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-Rassie
@Apr 22 2005, 01:30 AM

I have yet to see tries like that in League consistantly since ARL got pushed out of the game.
Have a look at the kangaroo's in last years Tri Nations final and come back and tell me League players are bad attackers... [/b]
Name one try in that game that had more than 5 passes.

You wouldnt be able to name one.

Also where does it say in my response that League players are bad attackers. My point was: If league is all about using the ball why are 60% to 70% of tackles one off the Ruck or Dummy half runs. To me thats not using the ball, thats wasting the ball. Especially when you have the ball for 6 tackles.

I believe Rugby has and the players are better attackers. That doesnt mean League players are bad attackers.

In the past 3 weeks ive seen the best individual performances on a Rugby/League field ever.

Dan Carter (2nd Test vs BIL) and Joey Johns (Game 2 SOO).

Originally posted by jonwebb@Jul 10 2005, 01:18 AM
If league is all about using the ball why are 60% to 70% of tackles one off the Ruck or Dummy half runs. To me thats not using the ball, thats wasting the ball. Especially when you have the ball for 6 tackles.
Well it depends on how you look at it. Thats merely a conservative game plan in league, designed to build pressure and keep control. If it's making ground, then arguably it's making good use of the ball wouldn't you say? The Warriors throw it around like nobody else, but it doesn't always come off and they often end up under pressure.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div>
I believe Rugby has and the players are better attackers.  That doesnt mean League players are bad attackers.

In the past 3 weeks ive seen the best individual performances on a Rugby/League field ever.

Dan Carter (2nd Test vs BIL) and Joey Johns (Game 2 SOO).[/b]

Definately agree with that. In fact when explaining to my mate how good Carter was in the 2nd test (my mates a pure leaguie, and never watches union) I used Johns as the analogy. As they both had almost equal bearing on their games.

Originally posted by sanzar+Jul 10 2005, 01:39 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (sanzar @ Jul 10 2005, 01:39 AM)</div>
<!--QuoteBegin-jonwebb
@Jul 10 2005, 01:18 AM
If league is all about using the ball why are 60% to 70% of tackles one off the Ruck or Dummy half runs.  To me thats not using the ball, thats wasting the ball.  Especially when you have the ball for 6 tackles.
Well it depends on how you look at it. Thats merely a conservative game plan in league, designed to build pressure and keep control. If it's making ground, then arguably it's making good use of the ball wouldn't you say? The Warriors throw it around like nobody else, but it doesn't always come off and they often end up under pressure.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div>
I believe Rugby has and the players are better attackers.  That doesnt mean League players are bad attackers.

Dan Carter (2nd Test vs BIL) and Joey Johns (Game 2 SOO).[/b]

Definately agree with that. In fact when explaining to my mate how good Carter was in the 2nd test (my mates a pure leaguie, and never watches union) I used Johns as the analogy. As they both had almost equal bearing on their games. [/b]
Yeah i can agree with both your quotes.

I sometimes think they could mix it up more in League. The opportunity is there, but in saying that in both Rugby and League we rely on the ball moving forward and making good metres.

With Carter and Johns, it feels to me that this would be a big moment in Rugby. I always felt Rugby lacked an Individual player like Johns since Ella.

We have had great players but never amazing and consistant like Johns. Spencer could of been as good or even better than Johns but he couldnt put it together week in week out like Johns.

There is Wilko but his got the boot and defence of Johns but didnt have the explosive attacking game.

But now Carter has come its almost to good to be true. I mean when Johns was 22 he wasnt complete as Carter is now. If he can produce this for the next couple of years, he will come close to taking the crown off Johns as the best Rugby/League player ever.

carter would go allrite in league i reckon but johns would carve up in rugby union

carter is not a league fan and therefore wouldnt be as good as rugby player he is..he absolutely loves union,its in his blood and when he plays hes having an absolute blast and having fun..he said it on the rugby channel until he is not having in rugby he will question his future in the game...
however andrew johns is just a true competitor!..hes awesome
he is out there to win and i he wouldve been carving the trinations lastyear if he had agreed to join..i put it down to his heart in the game...if he was aboxer he wud never give up..he wud get knocked the f*** out but after unconciousness he wud be back up with his dukes up
and his vision of the football field is superb..its like hes got a third eye sometimes watching from the stands
anyways...merhtens will smash both of them! MWAHAHAHA

Originally posted by THE CHIROPRACTOR101@Jul 10 2005, 02:00 AM
carter would go allrite in league i reckon but johns would carve up in rugby union

carter is not a league fan and therefore wouldnt be as good as rugby player he is..he absolutely loves union,its in his blood and when he plays hes having an absolute blast and having fun..he said it on the rugby channel until he is not having in rugby he will question his future in the game...
however andrew johns is just a true competitor!..hes awesome
he is out there to win and i he wouldve been carving the trinations lastyear if he had agreed to join..i put it down to his heart in the game...if he was aboxer he wud never give up..he wud get knocked the f*** out but after unconciousness he wud be back up with his dukes up
and his vision of the football field is superb..its like hes got a third eye sometimes watching from the stands
anyways...merhtens will smash both of them! MWAHAHAHA
Diddo about Merhtens.

But you must see that Carter has the skills and ability to be the best in both codes, whether he likes league or not.

His vision and skill for his age reminds me of Merhtens and Johns at there best and yet he has the potential to play for the next 8 to 10 years.

Thats Scary.

whats scary is that luke mcallister in the longterm will develop into a great player and maybe partner a future greatness in daniel carter for the allblacks...that wud be awesome

thats like having lockeyer and andrew johns in the same team..preferably broncos lol

Originally posted by THE CHIROPRACTOR101@Jul 10 2005, 02:17 AM
whats scary is that luke mcallister in the longterm will develop into a great player and maybe partner a future greatness in daniel carter for the allblacks...that wud be awesome

thats like having lockeyer and andrew johns in the same team..preferably broncos lol
No ****.

But i feel Mcallister should stay at first five. The one thing NZ Rugby needs is having players push the starting players.

NZ have lost the past 2 World Cups because of this.

Nah, have Nick Evans to be to Carter what Spencer was to Mehrts

Luke McAlister is a better Inside Centre because he has more space to use his speed and that awesome step of his - IMO those are the 2 aspects he has an advantge over Carter at the moment

also his defense..not much between him and carter on the tackling side but mccalister can HIT!..and he rushes off the line heaps to put pressure on upcoming defense...but if u got carter whos cover defense is awesome and our centres...(nz centres are usually the best tacklers in the abs umaga,bunce)..then our backline in the future wud be damaging both in attack and defense

Latest posts