• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Rugby Union is the original

Originally posted by DonBilly@Jun 21 2005, 02:55 AM
What about Leicester, is this RU club well known in England?

And if you asked the average country bumpkin in the street to name a rugby player, wouldn't they answer Jonny Wilkinson or Martin Jonhson?
Leicester is a big club, arguably the biggest Union club in England.

As for naming a player, I imagine Jonny Wilkinson would easily come out on top if your average person was asked to name a rugby player.

Originally posted by SaintsFan_Webby+Jun 21 2005, 07:31 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (SaintsFan_Webby @ Jun 21 2005, 07:31 PM)</div>
<!--QuoteBegin-DonBilly
@Jun 21 2005, 02:55 AM

And if you asked the average country bumpkin in the street to name a rugby player, wouldn't they answer Jonny Wilkinson or Martin Jonhson?

As for naming a player, I imagine Jonny Wilkinson would easily come out on top if your average person was asked to name a rugby player. [/b]
Obviously... But only because England won the RWC...

Originally posted by sanzar+Jun 21 2005, 08:50 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (sanzar @ Jun 21 2005, 08:50 AM)</div>
Originally posted by SaintsFan_Webby@Jun 21 2005, 07:31 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-DonBilly

As for naming a player, I imagine Jonny Wilkinson would easily come out on top if your average person was asked to name a rugby player.
Obviously... But only because England won the RWC... [/b]
And also because he's become the face of English rugby in recent history, before the World Cup win.

Originally posted by DonBilly@Jun 21 2005, 02:55 AM

Only since the world cup. Martin Offiah was probably the most famous before that because of his nickname 'Chariots' Offiah.

Originally posted by wigan_rlfc+Jun 21 2005, 12:23 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (wigan_rlfc @ Jun 21 2005, 12:23 PM)</div>
<!--QuoteBegin-DonBilly

Only since the world cup. Martin Offiah was probably the most famous before that because of his nickname 'Chariots' Offiah. [/b]
No, he was well known ages before the RWC. He was the face of English rugby for at least 2 years leading into that tournament.

Union is so much bigger then League. While Union has an international following League's reach is very limited. Infact everyone over in this part of the world who follows rugby thinks league is somewhat of a joke. Lol I am the only one that ever wants to play league for fun at practice everyone else is more enthralled with bashing each other heads in during rucks.

St Helens don't give me that **** about League being big either because we all know the competition is a joke. I enjoy the sport don't get me wrong but it doesn't even come close to touching Union.

Originally posted by Canadian_Rugger@Jun 23 2005, 01:21 PM
Union is so much bigger then League. While Union has an international following League's reach is very limited. Infact everyone over in this part of the world who follows rugby thinks league is somewhat of a joke. Lol I am the only one that ever wants to play league for fun at practice everyone else is more enthralled with bashing each other heads in during rucks.

St Helens don't give me that **** about League being big either because we all know the competition is a joke. I enjoy the sport don't get me wrong but it doesn't even come close to touching Union.
The rest of the world think NFL is a joke, but that doesn't stop yanks enjoying it
<

Originally posted by sanzar+Jun 23 2005, 01:42 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (sanzar @ Jun 23 2005, 01:42 PM)</div>
<!--QuoteBegin-Canadian_Rugger
@Jun 23 2005, 01:21 PM
Union is so much bigger then League.  While Union has an international following League's reach is very limited.  Infact everyone over in this part of the world who follows rugby thinks league is somewhat of a joke.  Lol I am the only one that ever wants to play league for fun at practice everyone else is more enthralled with bashing each other heads in during rucks.

St Helens don't give me that **** about League being big either because we all know the competition is a joke.  I enjoy the sport don't get me wrong but it doesn't even come close to touching Union.
The rest of the world think NFL is a joke, but that doesn't stop yanks enjoying it
<
[/b]
yah but there are 300 million of them
<

I like League and Union they both rule in my opinion. No padding, no annoying announcers like John Madden, just ballsy plays and tough c***s!!!

Originally posted by sanzar+Jun 21 2005, 07:50 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (sanzar @ Jun 21 2005, 07:50 AM)</div>
Originally posted by SaintsFan_Webby@Jun 21 2005, 07:31 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-DonBilly

Obviously... But only because England won the RWC... [/b]
Correct.

Originally posted by Wally+Jun 19 2005, 11:12 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Wally @ Jun 19 2005, 11:12 PM)</div>
<!--QuoteBegin-St Helens RLFC
@Jun 20 2005, 02:40 AM
No, because the British media is largely upper class. However league is gaining ground fast because the popularity of Super League is spiralling.
You're a journalist though as I understand. I suppose you're setting out to make a change. [/b]
It's a fierce ambition of mine to shake up coverage of league.

Originally posted by Canadian_Rugger@Jun 23 2005, 01:21 AM

Wrong.

I have no problem in admitting that union is bigger on an international scale - it is! I will argue that is because of the way the upper echelons of British society went about banning league in the armed forces, but I'm just an old cynic....

In England though, Super League is the dominant competition. Higher crowds, higher viewing figures on TV (St Helens add 300,000 to the viewing figures of any game), more high profile sponsorship, generally more interest.

Say what you will about the games on an international scale, that's not my point. I won't comment on the state of the sport in Canada because I have no idea - I suggest you remove your head from your arse and don't comment on things you know little or nothing about.

dude I suggest you face the facts. League is popular in tow countries England and Australia!!!! Lets add up the totals shall we you have I'd say maybe 80 million potential viewers who watch league. Wow even the NFL which you so mightly criticize has way more viewers then your pathetic excuse for a league will ever have. hell the CFL probably gets more exposure then league lol and the CFL also has a bigger fanbase and draw at our games.

League is a f***ing joke and with Union going pro the League threat to the game played in heaven is now officially over. So instead of criticizing me for having my head up my arse and spewing more rhetoric like you do everytime you post something on these forums why don't you take a look at real facts.

Originally posted by Canadian_Rugger@Jun 25 2005, 02:45 AM
dude I suggest you face the facts.  League is popular in tow countries England and Australia!!!!  Lets add up the totals shall we you have I'd say maybe 80 million potential viewers who watch league.  Wow even the NFL which you so mightly criticize has way more viewers then your pathetic excuse for a league will ever have.  hell the CFL probably gets more exposure then league lol and the CFL also has a bigger fanbase and draw at our games.

League is a f***ing joke and with Union going pro the League threat to the game played in heaven is now officially over.  So instead of criticizing me for having my head up my arse and spewing more rhetoric like you do everytime you post something on these forums why don't you take a look at real facts.
Now now, lets not get touchy
<

What have you got against Rugby League anyway Canada? We all know League's popularity pales into comparison to Union on the international level, but who cares?

Originally posted by Canadian_Rugger@Jun 23 2005, 03:49 PM
I like League and Union they both rule in my opinion. No padding, no annoying announcers like John Madden,
You've never heard Stuart Barnes than!
<

Originally posted by sanzar+Jun 26 2005, 12:42 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (sanzar @ Jun 26 2005, 12:42 AM)</div>
<!--QuoteBegin-Canadian_Rugger
@Jun 25 2005, 02:45 AM
dude I suggest you face the facts.  League is popular in tow countries England and Australia!!!!  Lets add up the totals shall we you have I'd say maybe 80 million potential viewers who watch league.  Wow even the NFL which you so mightly criticize has way more viewers then your pathetic excuse for a league will ever have.  hell the CFL probably gets more exposure then league lol and the CFL also has a bigger fanbase and draw at our games.

League is a f***ing joke and with Union going pro the League threat to the game played in heaven is now officially over.  So instead of criticizing me for having my head up my arse and spewing more rhetoric like you do everytime you post something on these forums why don't you take a look at real facts.
Now now, lets not get touchy
<

What have you got against Rugby League anyway Canada? We all know League's popularity pales into comparison to Union on the international level, but who cares? [/b]
have have nothing against league infact I watch it regularly but I do have something against ignorant ***** who seem to insult every sport not their own.

I love when some of you go on saying oh the only people who care about the NFL are Americans blahblahblah its a flippin joke hahaha Rugby league is the elite sport of the planet blahblahblah when really the only people who care about League are a bunch of Aussies who like any type of footie and a few english wankers.

Come on Canadian rugger, cool down. Today is 1st of July, Canada day if I remember well, so time to party and have beer.

I'd like to be in Montréal this evening.

Originally posted by Canadian_Rugger@Jul 1 2005, 04:45 PM
I love when some of you go on saying oh the only people who care about the NFL are Americans blahblahblah its a flippin joke hahaha Rugby league is the elite sport of the planet blahblahblah when really the only people who care about League are a bunch of Aussies who like any type of footie and a few english wankers.
... It's a rugby forum mate. Of course you'll get the odd bit of NFL bashing.

Originally posted by St Helens RLFC@Jun 25 2005, 11:50 PM
Give me some facts then.
Funny coming from a guy who thinks the ESL forced Union to go Pro...

Originally posted by Ripper+Jul 1 2005, 07:14 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Ripper @ Jul 1 2005, 07:14 AM)</div>
<!--QuoteBegin-St Helens RLFC
@Jun 25 2005, 11:50 PM
Give me some facts then.
Funny coming from a guy who thinks the ESL forced Union to go Pro... [/b]
It wasn't forced to go pro - it went pro to steal our limelight.

Latest posts