• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Rugby Union is the original

Originally posted by drico+May 7 2005, 06:54 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (drico @ May 7 2005, 06:54 PM)</div>
Originally posted by SaintsFan_Webby@May 8 2005, 04:20 AM
<!--QuoteBegin-drico
@May 7 2005, 05:08 PM
Can you think of anyone better to fly the flag for Rugby Union?

Pretty much anyone other than you.
Can you stop insulting me? As you've probably guesed I really don't appreciate it [/b]
It's very difficult when you keep spouting such utter crap. I'm worried about the image Union and its supporters will get when the League boys, all of whom actually have two brain-cells to rub together, pick your argument to bits and make you look even more of an idiot.

Originally posted by drico+May 9 2005, 03:41 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (drico @ May 9 2005, 03:41 AM)</div>
Originally posted by sanzar@May 8 2005, 09:22 PM
Originally posted by drico@May 8 2005, 05:54 AM
<!--QuoteBegin-drico

Can you stop insulting me? As you've probably guesed I really don't appreciate it

Well if you make a stupid and insulting topic then you should accept that you will in turn be insulted. Wouldn't you say?
How is this a stupid topic? the name of the forum is clearly the great debate where you debate the differences between Union and League and argue about which you think is better, and this thread seems to have got alot of interest, and got people talking about it, which is what the forum is about isn't it? [/b]
It is, and there have been some decent arguments here already. However, your thread basically drew people in because it was so clearly bullshit and seemed like the argument of a 5 year old... I don't mind you arguing the differences, but you haven't really done that, you've just come up with rubbish about union being the first etc, and won't accept that it's ********.

Originally posted by sanzar+May 9 2005, 11:50 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (sanzar @ May 9 2005, 11:50 AM)</div>
Originally posted by drico@May 9 2005, 03:41 AM
Originally posted by sanzar@May 8 2005, 09:22 PM
Originally posted by drico@May 8 2005, 05:54 AM
<!--QuoteBegin-drico

Can you stop insulting me? As you've probably guesed I really don't appreciate it

Well if you make a stupid and insulting topic then you should accept that you will in turn be insulted. Wouldn't you say?

How is this a stupid topic? the name of the forum is clearly the great debate where you debate the differences between Union and League and argue about which you think is better, and this thread seems to have got alot of interest, and got people talking about it, which is what the forum is about isn't it?
It is, and there have been some decent arguments here already. However, your thread basically drew people in because it was so clearly bullshit and seemed like the argument of a 5 year old... I don't mind you arguing the differences, but you haven't really done that, you've just come up with rubbish about union being the first etc, and won't accept that it's ********. [/b]
I will admit that League has a better structure, and that many League players have made an immediate impact on union when they crossed over
<

League has always struck me as a good recreational game, also as a fellow Canadian pointed out, it's a good sport to play with people who don't know how to ruck maul and a bunch of other stuff, I don't see any problems with the game of League, but since it hasn't caught on internationally, there has to be some kind of trouble that makes it a less interesting sport then union.

Originally posted by Canadian_Rugby_Guy@Jun 5 2005, 06:17 PM
League has always struck me as a good recreational game, also as a fellow Canadian pointed out, it's a good sport to play with people who don't know how to ruck maul and a bunch of other stuff, I don't see any problems with the game of League, but since it hasn't caught on internationally, there has to be some kind of trouble that makes it a less interesting sport then union.
Not trying to have a dig but Union was spread around the world by the British Army. League was banned by the British Army.

Originally posted by Canadian_Rugby_Guy@Jun 6 2005, 05:17 AM
That'd be like telling Yanks that NFL is **** sport because only they play it...

Originally posted by wigan_rlfc+Jun 6 2005, 09:17 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (wigan_rlfc @ Jun 6 2005, 09:17 PM)</div>
<!--QuoteBegin-Canadian_Rugby_Guy
@Jun 5 2005, 06:17 PM
Not trying to have a dig but Union was spread around the world by the British Army. League was banned by the British Army. [/b]
It is likely that the British army helped the spreading of Rugby in the world ... ruled by the British. I think that in the rest of the world it was rather the British merchants and sailors who contributed to the spreading of Rugby.

Originally posted by DonBilly+Jun 7 2005, 11:02 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (DonBilly @ Jun 7 2005, 11:02 AM)</div>
Originally posted by wigan_rlfc@Jun 6 2005, 09:17 PM
@Jun 5 2005, 06:17 PM

Not trying to have a dig but Union was spread around the world by the British Army. League was banned by the British Army.
It is likely that the British army helped the spreading of Rugby in the world ... ruled by the British. I think that in the rest of the world it was rather the British merchants and sailors who contributed to the spreading of Rugby. [/b]
I can only think of France that is a traditional Union playing country that wasn't part of the Empire.

Argentina & Romania are countries with old Rugby tradition too, not part of the Empire.

Originally posted by DonBilly@Jun 7 2005, 01:37 PM
Argentina & Romania are countries with old Rugby tradition too, not part of the Empire.
Yes, but have they always been popular.

Just to state my opinion:

I prefer Union, I like League but not as much.

I think they are great sports seen as they both don't feature people crying on their arse for breaking a nail for half ana hour and getting paid for doing so.

they both are highly competitive and having fun is a major factor, but on the other hand football is all about rows, riots, and fights but it can have its good moments.

You can sit with the opposition fans and have a laugh, you might get the occasional idiot but, I think its a true sport.

The reason I prefer union is because there is more flowing action, and the whole turnover thing doesn't do anything for me.

Originally posted by sanzar+Jun 6 2005, 06:47 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (sanzar @ Jun 6 2005, 06:47 AM)</div>
@Jun 6 2005, 05:17 AM
That'd be like telling Yanks that NFL is **** sport because only they play it... [/b]
Well, there are other places in the worl that play American football, but there are certain inconvieniences that make it a little bit less popular (All the money you have to pay for equipment for instance). So in my mind that does make Am. football less good then other sports.

Originally posted by saintsfan24_7@Jun 8 2005, 07:23 AM

I think they are great sports seen as they both don't feature people crying on their arse for breaking a nail for half ana hour and getting paid for doing so.

they both are highly competitive and having fun is a major factor, but on the other hand football is all about rows, riots, and fights but it can have its good moments.

You can sit with the opposition fans and have a laugh, you might get the occasional idiot but, I think its a true sport.

The reason I prefer union is because there is more flowing action, and the whole turnover thing doesn't do anything for me.
I know what you mean, and at different times I prefer both of them... I like League because it's a game based around heavy collisions and clever attack, there are no real scrums or anything so the game never really slows down. I like Union because of the constant contest for the ball, and the fact that broken play is generally more common and exciting than in league due to the fact forwards get tied up more.
If there are any complaints I have about union, it's that they should make drop goals worth less and allow shoulder charges.

This topic has become boring now that Drico has learned to shut up.

And to add something (stupid) to this topic......um..... They should rename the world cup.

they already call it the World Cup don't they? and having a more specific ***le like the willian webb ellis trophy just adds a touch of uniqueness I find.

Originally posted by sanzar+Jun 9 2005, 01:13 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (sanzar @ Jun 9 2005, 01:13 PM)</div>
<!--QuoteBegin-saintsfan24_7
@Jun 8 2005, 07:23 AM

I know what you mean, and at different times I prefer both of them... I like League because it's a game based around heavy collisions and clever attack, there are no real scrums or anything so the game never really slows down. I like Union because of the constant contest for the ball, and the fact that broken play is generally more common and exciting than in league due to the fact forwards get tied up more.
If there are any complaints I have about union, it's that they should make drop goals worth less and allow shoulder charges. [/b]
I don't know if you know how much trouble Butch James gets in for those, especially when he shoulder charged Johnny Wilkinson when SA lost 53-3 to England. I think allowing shoulder charges will be a very bad idea firstly it mostly gets used as a late tackle and secondly there is NO technique to it, we will just have these gorilla men ramming the crap out of guys... not cool. The drop kick topic is a tough one since they aren't really that easy to do but it did make Englands world cup victory seem that much easier.

Originally posted by Canadian_Rugby_Guy@Jun 12 2005, 04:26 AM
they already call it the World Cup don't they? and having a more specific ***le like the willian webb ellis trophy just adds a touch of uniqueness I find.
Yeah forget it. I was just trying to find a way to make my post less pointless.

Originally posted by Steve-o+Jun 12 2005, 05:33 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Steve-o @ Jun 12 2005, 05:33 AM)</div>
Originally posted by sanzar@Jun 9 2005, 01:13 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-saintsfan24_7
@Jun 8 2005, 07:23 AM

If there are any complaints I have about union, it's that they should make drop goals worth less and allow shoulder charges.
I don't know if you know how much trouble Butch James gets in for those, especially when he shoulder charged Johnny Wilkinson when SA lost 53-3 to England. I think allowing shoulder charges will be a very bad idea firstly it mostly gets used as a late tackle and secondly there is NO technique to it, we will just have these gorilla men ramming the crap out of guys... not cool. The drop kick topic is a tough one since they aren't really that easy to do but it did make Englands world cup victory seem that much easier. [/b]
Shoulder charges cop peneties in league if they're late and do take a fair bit of technique, as if you don't time it exactly right you'll likely miss the player...
Dop goals aren't easy, but they're certainly MUCH easier than scoring tries... I think if you get a drop goal from 40 metres out it should be 3 points, anything closer should be 1.

Latest posts