• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Rugby Union is the original

Let`s speak in terms of supporters! As far as i know, there are 100% RL supporters and 100% RU supporters. This is a fact.

My question is related to Aussies and pommies, where RL and RU are competing in real terms (in other countries, RL is only a small niche).

How would you rate RL in England in terms of public interest? Same question goes for Australia?

To put it even more simple. Same time, two games, your favourite League team plays in one and your favourite RU plays in the other.

Which one do you chosse to go to? What about your friends?

My best guess is that in England RU takes smth like 60% while in Australia in quite the opposite.

Am i right?

Originally posted by Rassie@Jun 17 2005, 09:24 PM
Let`s speak in terms of supporters! As far as i know, there are 100% RL supporters and 100% RU supporters. This is a fact.

My question is related to Aussies and pommies, where RL and RU are competing in real terms (in other countries, RL is only a small niche).

How would you rate RL in England in terms of public interest? Same question goes for Australia?

To put it even more simple. Same time, two games, your favourite League team plays in one and your favourite RU plays in the other.

My best guess is that in England RU takes smth like 60% while in Australia in quite the opposite.

Am i right?
Probably... League is only big in the North of England, whereas League runs NSW and Qld in Australia...

Originally posted by Rassie@Jun 17 2005, 09:24 PM

For me if the Roosters (league) and Waratah's were playing I'd choose the Roosters... I like going to the Tah's games, but the atmosphere and exitement at league games is somehow more enthralling live alot of the time... That said, it would also depend on the opposition! If the Tahs were playing the Reds and the Roosters were playing Souths, then I'd go for the Tahs game any time.

It's really just difference of opinion honestly. There might be less people who like league better, but that doesn't mean it's a bad sport.

Originally posted by Rassie@Jun 17 2005, 10:24 AM

Am i right?
Union is bigger in England, although I'm sure RL fans will soon disagree, however Union was boosted greatly by the 2003 World Cup win.

Union is also popular all over the country, with teams such as Sale and Leeds growing, along with established clubs that used to contain famous faces, such as Fylde. League is mainly limited to the North, with London the only place in the South I can think of with a reputable side.

There's also a question of population, if you have a pop. of only so many, and a country that's as good at rugby as Wales is, you don't really have that many more people to go to rugby league because I'm sure Wales isn't all rugby and so there are people commited to other sports, they just happen not to be rugby league, if you're gonna play rugby any countries like that, it's gonna be union.

Originally posted by SaintsFan_Webby+Jun 17 2005, 07:27 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (SaintsFan_Webby @ Jun 17 2005, 07:27 PM)</div>
<!--QuoteBegin-Rassie
@Jun 17 2005, 10:24 AM

Am i right?
Union is bigger in England, although I'm sure RL fans will soon disagree, however Union was boosted greatly by the 2003 World Cup win.

Union is also popular all over the country, with teams such as Sale and Leeds growing, along with established clubs that used to contain famous faces, such as Fylde. League is mainly limited to the North, with London the only place in the South I can think of with a reputable side. [/b]
Union is only bigger in international rugby terms.

How can it only be bigger in international terms? Surely it's either more popular, or it's not.

Originally posted by SaintsFan_Webby@Jun 18 2005, 05:27 PM
How can it only be bigger in international terms? Surely it's either more popular, or it's not.
What I meant was Union's domestic competition isn't bigger than League's.

As long as you dont start spouting that **** again about how the only reason Union went professional is because of the ESL

and on Domestic Competitions - with the Exception of Australia where the NRL reigns sumpreme (and in England where its preety even - despite what Saints says) Union is easily on top. Take NZ for Example - something like 8 out of the 12 teams are based in Auckland (Although I think they changed it this year - over half are still Auckland based)

But it's NOT pretty even though! If you asked the average country bumpkin in the street to name a rugby club they would say "St Helens" or "Wigan" or "Leeds".

In terms of crowds it is even. And the English media doesn't care much for the ESL from what I understand.

No, because the British media is largely upper class. However league is gaining ground fast because the popularity of Super League is spiralling.

Originally posted by St Helens RLFC@Jun 19 2005, 01:50 PM
But it's NOT pretty even though! If you asked the average country bumpkin in the street to name a rugby club they would say "St Helens" or "Wigan" or "Leeds".
No they wouldn't. All the country bumpkins would reply "Gloucester", "Bristol" or "Huh?".
<

As for the British media being upper class - that's straight where I'm aiming for in later life.
<

Originally posted by St Helens RLFC@Jun 20 2005, 02:40 AM
No, because the British media is largely upper class. However league is gaining ground fast because the popularity of Super League is spiralling.
You're a journalist though as I understand. I suppose you're setting out to make a change.

Originally posted by St Helens RLFC@Jun 19 2005, 01:50 PM
Or Hull Kingston Rovers

What about Leicester, is this RU club well known in England?

And if you asked the average country bumpkin in the street to name a rugby player, wouldn't they answer Jonny Wilkinson or Martin Jonhson?

Latest posts