• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Rugby World Cup 2019 predictions

Lol it is indeed, I would sooner rather a northern hemisphere team win it regardless, in all fairness though most of the predictions I have seen strongly favouring either an AB vs SA final or Wales VS AB, seen far fewer containing either England or Ireland and to be fair that's mostly justified given recent performances.

I would much rather you have the favourite tag whilst we try and go under the radar lol....

Yeah I'd love Wales to still be under the radar a bit more too...but on the other hand that's why England 2003 and All Blacks 2011-2015 deserve SO much credit though isn't it? They were pinging the radar something chronic... and went on to justify every ping!

Yeah I'd love Wales to still be under the radar a bit more too...but on the other hand that's why England 2003 and All Blacks 2011-2015 deserve SO much credit though isn't it? They were pinging the radar something chronic... and went on to justify every ping!

I hadn't thought of it like that but completely agree, coping with expectation is all the more impressive. How do you rate Wales's depth do they have descent cover across the board or are there areas lacking?

I hadn't thought of it like that but completely agree, coping with expectation is all the more impressive. How do you rate Wales's depth do they have descent cover across the board or are there areas lacking?

It's the best it's ever been to be honest, for the first time that I am aware of we have serious cover in pretty much all areas. There are obviously players who we would miss more than others (AWJ, Faletau, Fox... and I think Sanjay has now earned that status also) but all good sides have their talismanic players.

The only position that we are a little light at is number 8. Faletau is amazing but in an 'ideal' world (& this is just my opinion) he would be a 6 (I like my 8's more in the mold Quinell, Binny or Vermuelen). I know we have been without Faletau for a lot of games of late but Moriarty (while more that admirable over that time) is also a 6 imo.

Centre is the second most area of concern, with Jonathan Davies (worlds best 13 imo) and Hadleigh being well clear of their competition. Hopefully Scott Williams will return from a long time out, as then we would have him and Owen Watkins as slightly more than decent (by international standards) cover.

Everywhere else, I'm happy.

LHP: Robe Evans, Nicky Smith, Wynn's Jones
Hooker: Ken Owens, Elliott Dee, Ryan Elias
THP: Tomas Francis, Samson Lee, Dillon Lewis
Lock: AWJ, Cory Hill, Adam Beard, Jake Ball,
BSF: Moriarty, Dan Lydiate, Arron Wainwright (Arron Shingler & Ellis Jenkins injured)
OSF: Justin Tipuric, Josh Navidi, James Davies, Ollie Griffiths
SH: Gareth Davies, Tomas Williams, Aled Davies (obvs Rhys Webb would be nice)
FH: Gareth Anscombe, Dan Biggar, Rhys Patchell, Jarod Evans
Wing: George North, Josh Adams, Owen Lane, Hallam Amos (actually maybe Wing is a little light after the first two selections)
FB: Liam Williams, Leigh Halfpenney (& Gareth Anscombe if all else fails).

It's late, so I've probably missed a couple of players too but there is decent depth there to be sure... more importantly, the players behind the starters have a decent amount of test match game time too.

For wing, you could always get L. Williams to go there from 15 and have 1/2p take his space.

Whatever happened to Matthew Morgan? Moved to Cardiff to further his international ambitions after becoming hot property at Bristol then seems to have fallen by the wayside.

For wing, you could always get L. Williams to go there from 15 and have 1/2p take his space.

Whatever happened to Matthew Morgan? Moved to Cardiff to further his international ambitions after becoming hot property at Bristol then seems to have fallen by the wayside.

Yeah good shout about Sanjay.

Matthew Morgan just doesn't have it in him to defend to the level required for international rugby... at full back at least. I've always thought though, that he would make a better wing than 15. It's easier to defend there as you can use the touch line as an extra defender, and I've just always felt that he could have replicated what Shane used to provide (to some degree anyway).

Yeah good shout about Sanjay.

Matthew Morgan just doesn't have it in him to defend to the level required for international rugby... at full back at least. I've always thought though, that he would make a better wing than 15. It's easier to defend there as you can use the touch line as an extra defender, and I've just always felt that he could have replicated what Shane used to provide (to some degree anyway).

I think that would work for Morgan at international level plus added bonus of another playmaker who can step in to the line. Would pose defending sides a lot of problems, he is world class going forward IMO.

Shame he hasn't been involved for a couple of years as it would mean the other suggestion is irrelevant. I would also say that it's a failing of coaching as MM has plenty of things that can't be trained into some great players no matter how hard they worked yet tackling and positioning is something that can be taught yet here we are...

Last edited:
I think that would work for Morgan at international level plus added bonus of another playmaker who can step in to the line. Would pose defending sides a lot of problems, he is world class going forward IMO.

Shame he hasn't been involved for a couple of years as it would mean the other suggestion is irrelevant. I would also say that it's a failing of coaching as MM has plenty of things that can't be trained into some great players no matter how hard they worked yet tackling and positioning is something that can be taught yet here we are...

Yeah I agree, going forward he is sublime and would be a great addition (something different to mix up the attack) to what we currently have. It really does amaze me that he has hardly ever been given a go out wide.

Coaching-wise, Mullvihil has a lot of options in the back three next season so there is a chance that Morgan will have to move to get games. Amos and Adams have obviously been brought in to start and then you have Lane and Somerhill who were both up there with the Blues best players during the latter half of last season.

Last edited:
Yeah I agree, going forward he is sublime and would be a great addition (something different to mix up the attack) to what we currently have. It really does amaze me that he has hardly ever been given a go out wide.

Coaching-wise, Mullvihil has a lot of options in the back three next season so there is a chance that Morgan will have to move to get games. Amos and Adams have obviously been brought in to start and then you have Lane and Somerhill who were both up there with the Blues best players during the latter half of last season.

Hopefully we'll see Lane used at centre regularly. I think Amos may be going there primarily as a fullback.

Agree about Morgan being used out wide, and I think the same applies to Jordan Williams as well. Both struggle most in defense and under the high ball, and there is less pressure on both of those skills out wide compared to fullback. Both were originally 10's, so they could be free to roam and pop up at first receiver (something Shane was a master at). It seems like a no brainer to me and unsure why neither have been tried there.

Hopefully we'll see Lane used at centre regularly. I think Amos may be going there primarily as a fullback.

Agree about Morgan being used out wide, and I think the same applies to Jordan Williams as well. Both struggle most in defense and under the high ball, and there is less pressure on both of those skills out wide compared to fullback. Both were originally 10's, so they could be free to roam and pop up at first receiver (something Shane was a master at). It seems like a no brainer to me and unsure why neither have been tried there.

You'd think their clubs would at least give them a go there... particularly as they are both players that are available for the whole club season due to no (current at least) international responsibilities.

I have no doubtt in the three first positions of the group. I wish to see the USA in the fourth place, but I don't know.

POOL C
1- Argentina
2- England
3- France
4- Tonga
5- USA

Last edited:
I have no doubtt in the three first positions of the group. I wish to see the USA in the fourth place, but I don't know.

POOL C
1- Argentina
2- England
3- France
4- Tonga
5- USA

Definitely think Argentina and England will be the qualifiers, not sure which order though.

Are argentina doing that well? I get they are decent to be ahead of England?

I suppose the form of the Jaguares just means that I'm not 'sure', I mean I would have England as favourites but Argentina normally perform well at world cups and there will be some great positivity within the squad if they go on to win Super Rugby.

We'll deffo know more about them once this years Rugby Championship has been played though.

I still cant believe they havnt taken Santiago Cordero after the season he had for chiefs.

I still cant believe they havnt taken Santiago Cordero after the season he had for chiefs.

Who haven't, I didn't think Argentina have named their squad yet... could be wrong though but I haven't seen it yet.

Well, considering they are selecting some players from outside of Argentina that's a bit of a shocker.

Edit. One of the comments state that he's injured, maybe if he returns to fitness they'll still consider him.

You can get 8/1 on Wales winning the world cup. Can't decide whether they're good odds or not when you consider we were 12/1 for the grand slam and it's obviously less difficult to achieve than winning a world cup.

2 key points for me in our chances. One being we have to get Alyn Wyn to the world cup. Going into it without him for me, Is like Portugal going into a tournament without Ronaldo. He is that talismanic for us. Secondly, we absolutely must win the group and get the favourable route in the knockout stages.

NZ the obvious favourites but Ireland have done them twice, SA, AUS, Lions beat and drew with them so if ever there's a chance for a NH side to win it...this is it.

NZ the obvious favourites but Ireland have done them twice, SA, AUS, Lions beat and drew with them so if ever there's a chance for a NH side to win it...this is it.
Better opportunities for the NH than the last two I suspect but I wouldn't be placing any bets on it. I have absolutely no faith in England or Wales beating New Zealand and I have less faith in Ireland winning three consecutive knockout games. (Two would require a fluke in my opinion)

If NZ win their group I think they win the cup handy enough, their only dangers in a knockout game wear green in my opinion and both those teams are likely to be avoided in this scenario and if they finish runner up in the pool they're still easy to back.

Latest posts