• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Rugby World Cup 2019 predictions

NZ are clear favourites, then I would have SA, Ireland, England and Wales on the same level. But not only have I never seen a Wales team beat NZ, I haven't even seen Wales give them a close game. For that reason I could see Wales do well, Semi Final, maybe even Final but I could never see them winning it.

NZ are clear favourites, then I would have SA, Ireland, England and Wales on the same level. But not only have I never seen a Wales team beat NZ, I haven't even seen Wales give them a close game. For that reason I could see Wales do well, Semi Final, maybe even Final but I could never see them winning it.

25-26 in 2004, was about as close as you could get.

Aye. Ruddock had us on the way to being a top class side. Shame things worked out the way they did.

Real shame, I've heard a few things about why he lost the dressing room... some reports sound justified, while some sound ridiculous and put a lot of the players in a poor light. The varying reports have nothing to do with each other either. As you say though, if it hadn't of happened we were looking more than decent and it threw a real spanner in the works until Gatland took over.

15 years ago, a bit before my time. :p

Ahh, young buck eh? I was in my prime back then lol.

I'm starting to talk myself into thinking we'll get a scalp and maybe go 2-2 in our pool.

We have AJ who gives us a 1% chance against almost anyone. All three of the tier 1 sides will have to decide whether to play their weakened side against us or Tonga.

Argentina plays England four days before us so they will have to play reserves. The only thing is we have Tonga four days later so do we go for the game we think we have a good chance of winning or go for the scalp?

England plays us 4 days after Tonga but then have a week off after us. So they have to decide what to do with our games. Maybe send two mixed sides out or hopefully go First XV against TOnga to start the tournament then we get lucky with a B side.

France has rest before us and then Tonga 4 days after. Who knows what French selections would be and there could be a player revolt during this time period.

**** it. I'm calling it now. We're going 2-2.

I'm starting to talk myself into thinking we'll get a scalp and maybe go 2-2 in our pool.

We have AJ who gives us a 1% chance against almost anyone. All three of the tier 1 sides will have to decide whether to play their weakened side against us or Tonga.

Argentina plays England four days before us so they will have to play reserves. The only thing is we have Tonga four days later so do we go for the game we think we have a good chance of winning or go for the scalp?

England plays us 4 days after Tonga but then have a week off after us. So they have to decide what to do with our games. Maybe send two mixed sides out or hopefully go First XV against TOnga to start the tournament then we get lucky with a B side.

France has rest before us and then Tonga 4 days after. Who knows what French selections would be and there could be a player revolt during this time period.

**** it. I'm calling it now. We're going 2-2.

Well, while I think that both England and Argentina will probably beat the States reasonably comfortably, this is possibly the worst French side I've ever seen so if your team can turn up on the day there is no reason why that game couldn't go your way. I also think the Tonga game will be competitive, so while it is quite possible to get 2 wins, without wanting to dampen your positivity, both those games 'could' go the other way too.

These games are great a microcosm for why this RWC will probably be the most competitive ever though... at every level, the games look to be incredibly tight.

Well, while I think that both England and Argentina will probably beat the States reasonably comfortably, this is possibly the worst French side I've ever seen so if your team can turn up on the day there is no reason why that game couldn't go your way. I also think the Tonga game will be competitive, so while it is quite possible to get 2 wins, without wanting to dampen your positivity, both those games 'could' go the other way too.

These games are great a microcosm for why this RWC will probably be the most competitive ever though... at every level, the games look to be incredibly tight.
USA probabilities:
50% we go 0-4
49% we 1-3. Most likely beating Tonga.
1% we go 2-2. I think all the tier 1s have the ability to drub us 90-10 and beat us 99% of the time. I think with the fixture congestion and us having an actual fly half for the first time at a World Cup we now have a chance at a fluke.

USA probabilities:
50% we go 0-4
49% we 1-3. Most likely beating Tonga.
1% we go 2-2. I think all the tier 1s have the ability to drub us 90-10 and beat us 99% of the time. I think with the fixture congestion and us having an actual fly half for the first time at a World Cup we now have a chance at a fluke.

Fair enough, I'd probably give you a bit more of a chance than that but I get what you're saying.

Rightly so but if there is Any D that can cope with the constant offload it's probably the Welsh.

Bit of an in-joke as I posted a while back that Fiji would be tough... but as it wasn't a QF problem, it seemed to confuse some of the Irish contingent ;).

Bit of an in-joke as I posted a while back that Fiji would be tough... but as it wasn't a QF problem, it seemed to confuse some of the Irish contingent ;).

I see, on a serious note though I think conceding the odd try to them is almost a given, defending against that unstructured play seems to me is almost an impossible task, simply have to outscore em fortunately there D isn't all that.

I see, on a serious note though I think conceding the odd try to them is almost a given, defending against that unstructured play seems to me is almost an impossible task, simply have to outscore em fortunately there D isn't all that.

Yeah you would think that our current play-style would be the perfect antidote to Fiji... but they are definitely a different prospect to previously and the conditions in Japan will favour them. It wouldn't be the biggest surprise to see them qualify out of the group at the expense of Wales or Australia.

I really can't decide who I think will win it, I doubt it will be Ireland and I haven't seen Australia or South Africa play in a while, I also struggle to see New Zealand pulling off a threepeat as that is statistically unlikely and I think given how flat they have been in the last twelve months physically unlikely.
England is a possibility but one I would rather not contemplate.
Wales or Scotland I think is an unrealistic scenario as is Argentina.
I have a soft spot for France and would like to see them win it if NZ cant but they are just so inconsistent that you would be a brave man to pick them this far out.
I would prefer:
1. NZ
2. France.
3. South Africa
But they are more emotive choices than practical I feel.

This could potentially be the most exciting world cup yet. No home advantage for any of the real contenders, the All Blacks look mortal (but still very very good), and there are at least 5 teams who could feasibly win. Most interesting though is that there are so many emerging 2nd tier teams who are looking better than ever before. I reckon there will be at least one major upset in the group stages this year, including any of the following:
Group A - I can see Japan beating Ireland or Scotland. I can also see Samoa beating Scotland.
Group B - The most boring group, but NZ v SA will be a great game.
Group C - Which French team will turn up? Could top the group, could fall apart and finish fourth.
Group D - Hardest group to predict. I suspect Wales will top the group, but I could also see them losing to Fiji or Georgia. I think it's quite likely Fiji, or even Georgia, could beat Australia.

Oh bugger it been putting this off for a bit

Pool A
1st
23px-IRFU_flag.svg.png
Ireland
2nd
23px-Flag_of_Japan.svg.png
Japan
3rd
23px-Flag_of_Scotland.svg.png
Scotland
4th
23px-Flag_of_Samoa.svg.png
Samoa
5th
23px-Flag_of_Russia.svg.png
Russia

Pool B
1st
23px-Flag_of_New_Zealand.svg.png
New Zealand
2nd
23px-Flag_of_South_Africa.svg.png
South Africa
3rd
23px-Flag_of_Namibia.svg.png
Namibia
4th
23px-Flag_of_Italy.svg.png
Italy
5th
23px-Flag_of_Canada_%28Pantone%29.svg.png
Canada

Pool C
1st
23px-Flag_of_England.svg.png
England
2nd
23px-Flag_of_Argentina.svg.png
Argentina
3rd
23px-Flag_of_France.svg.png
France
4th
23px-Flag_of_Tonga.svg.png
Tonga
5th
23px-Flag_of_the_United_States.svg.png
United States

Pool D
1st
23px-Flag_of_Wales_%281959%E2%80%93present%29.svg.png
Wales
2nd
23px-Flag_of_Australia_%28converted%29.svg.png
Australia
3rd
23px-Flag_of_Fiji.svg.png
Fiji
4th
23px-Flag_of_Georgia.svg.png
Georgia
5th
23px-Flag_of_Uruguay.svg.png
Uruguay

QF1 England V Australia = England
QF2 New Zealand V Japan = New Zealand
QF3 Wales V Argentina = Wales
QF4 Ireland V South Africa = Ireland

SF1 England V New Zealand = New Zealand
SF2 Wales V Ireland = Ireland

3rd Place England V Wales = Wales
Final New Zealand V Ireland = New Zealand

Damn that's a boring result, just think Ireland will lose their heads if they got to the final.

Matches to watch in that I think they will tight affairs.
Scotland V Japan
Argentina V France
Fiji V Australia
Wales V Argentina
Both SF and Finals

The short turn around in pool C give chance for USA to cause an upset against Argentina.

England vs Argentina which will be a hugely physical game, win or lose they will have to put out their first team.

Argentina vs USA 4 days later, where as USA will have had 7 days to recover from France. Argentina will put out a tired first team or a second team where as USA will be putting out their strongest team and targeting that game.

Argentina prob still the favourites but it shows player management is key.

Last edited:

Latest posts