• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Rugby World Cup Quiz

I'm pretty sure the first to be sent off was the Welsh forward who Buck knocked out who awoke to hear the referee giving him his marching orders. Bob Norster is the only name that comes to mind, but I'm 99% sure it wasn't him.

The first red card, I would have gone for the Battle of Boet Erasmus 3 (Snow, Rees and Dalton), obviously not though.

Hugh Richards, Gary Whetton should have gone as well as or instead of.

- - - Updated - - -

Think I've spelt his name wrong I'm sure its HUW not HUGH

- - - Updated - - -

The year was 1987

Correct Huw Richards 1987.....google it makes it easy!!

Correct Huw Richards 1987.....google it makes it easy!!

Okay I remember the Match well, it was a 3am kick off UK time and my lad was 2 months old so I agreed with the missus to do the 3am feed.

My question -:

Who knocked Richard Hill out in the 1999 World Cup ?

As above, Huw Richards was sent off, he wasn't red carded, you can find the footage on YouTube. The Battle of Boet Erasmus can also be found there and confirms that red cards weren't used in 1995. I'll leave it there in case anyone wants to make a legit (non-Googled) guess.

As above, Huw Richards was sent off, he wasn't red carded, you can find the footage on YouTube. The Battle of Boet Erasmus can also be found there and confirms that red cards weren't used in 1995. I'll leave it there in case anyone wants to make a legit (non-Googled) guess.

Yes you are right but a red card = sent off so made be technically wrong answer.
However that 1st World cup holds special memories with my lad only being a couple of months old, whilst last Saturday he and his wife took me to Kingsholm for Japans last match, how time flies.

Okay I remember the Match well, it was a 3am kick off UK time and my lad was 2 months old so I agreed with the missus to do the 3am feed.

My question -:

Who knocked Richard Hill out in the 1999 World Cup ?

Yes huw rich ,lock forward carmarthen lad also played for the all black's!!

Yes you are right but a red card = sent off so made be technically wrong answer.
However that 1st World cup holds special memories with my lad only being a couple of months old, whilst last Saturday he and his wife took me to Kingsholm for Japans last match, how time flies.

Sorry v c, I missed that post. As a result of this question (and being a massive nerd) I have done a bit of reading about the history of cards in rugby. It appears that the first physical yellow card to be waved at a World Cup was in 1999 (shown to Roberto Grau). Presumably physical red cards were brought in at the same time, meaning that the first player to be red carded would have been the first player to be sent off in the 1999 tournament - Marika Vunibaka.

Bet you had a great time in Gloucester, particularly as it had a meaning outside of rugby for you.

- - - Updated - - -

Pedantics shemantics?!!!!!

In a thread full of questions as obscure as this, I'd say that pedantry is well at home. Although I couldn't remember Richards' name, it's such a well known story that I assumed there had to be more to the question than that.

ImageUploadedByRugby Forum1444921842.626703.jpg

You are the TMO and the ref refers to you.
Try / no try.
You say try.
Why?

Because there was no contact with the ball before the grounding.

If you pounce on a ball knocked (either by kick or spilled by the opposition) into the in-goal area you can have any part of your body in touch.

Sorry v c, I missed that post. As a result of this question (and being a massive nerd) I have done a bit of reading about the history of cards in rugby. It appears that the first physical yellow card to be waved at a World Cup was in 1999 (shown to Roberto Grau). Presumably physical red cards were brought in at the same time, meaning that the first player to be red carded would have been the first player to be sent off in the 1999 tournament - Marika Vunibaka.

Bet you had a great time in Gloucester, particularly as it had a meaning outside of rugby for you.

- - - Updated - - -

In a thread full of questions as obscure as this, I'd say that pedantry is well at home. Although I couldn't remember Richards' name, it's such a well known story that I assumed there had to be more to the question than that.

Yes great day; do I presume I am wrong then as the 1st sending off in a WC was Huw Richards but there were no Red Cards.
Any way does anybody want to answer the ' Who knocked out Richard Hill' question ?

I was at the game,England v Tonga.But for the life of me can't remember who landed the haymaker on Hilly.I've got a feeling 2 got sent off.

I was at the game,England v Tonga.But for the life of me can't remember who landed the haymaker on Hilly.I've got a feeling 2 got sent off.

The player in question played for Pontypridd at that time and went on to play for Doncaster and Birmingham Solihull, no more clues.

The player in question played for Pontypridd at that time and went on to play for Doncaster and Birmingham Solihull, no more clues.

I remember you mentioning him in the past. All I remember about the game was a few violent incidents and a big score. I'll keep quiet as I cheated my way to the answer (Google), but I'd be impressed if anyone other than you, his mum and Richard Hill (as long as he didn't suffer lasting damage) remember the name!

Latest posts