• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Rugby World Cup Quiz

Manasa Qoro for Fiji v Italy 1987
Zinzan Brooke for NZ V England 1995
Martyn Williams for Wales v Tonga 2003

Manasa Qoro for Fiji v Italy 1987
Zinzan Brooke for NZ V England 1995
Martyn Williams for Wales v Tonga 2003

I feel ashamed forgot Nuggets 3 pointer v Tonga, unfortunately remember his missed penalty in the European semi shoot out.
Whats the next question ?

Its been over 8 hours since the last question was aswered, and no-one seems keen, so I will ask one to get the ball rolling again

Excluding Finals and 3rd/4th play-offs, how many knock-out play-off matches have there been in all RWCs prior to 2015?

1987-2011 = 7 world cups

All of them had 4 quarter finals and 2 semi finals so 7 x 6 = 42.

But, i remember 1999 was different. That world cup didn't have the usual 4 group structure, it had 5. All winners went through to the QF and all the runner-ups plus the best third position (Argentina, that's why i remember) had to face each other before that. So that would mean 3 additional games.

Answer: 45

1987-2011 = 7 world cups

All of them had 4 quarter finals and 2 semi finals so 7 x 6 = 42.

But, i remember 1999 was different. That world cup didn't have the usual 4 group structure, it had 5. All winners went through to the QF and all the runner-ups plus the best third position (Argentina, that's why i remember) had to face each other before that. So that would mean 3 additional games.

Answer: 45

Correct. It was a trick question... Those three matches were called "Quarter Final Playoffs"

I just knew a Pumas fan wouldn't be fooled

Your turn

Thank you.

Prior to 2015 (not sure about 2015 to be honest), all the referees officiating the opening game shared a common "ritual". What was that ritual?

Has anyone mentioned Pontypool ?

- - - Updated - - -

Just looked the answer up, no wonder nobody has the answer, it is CROSS GREEN OTLEY, capacity 5,000

Sorry for the delay, I've not been online much this week. You're correct. I thought this would be pretty easy for our northern posters (although we do appear to lack Yorkshiremen), although maybe I forget how far above the average age of a poster I am!

Cross Green is a nice, traditional club ground, but it's a reflection of how far that the World Cup has come in 24 years that it was used. Based on my visit there 6 or seven years ago, 5,000 would have been a tight fit, although maybe temporary facilities increased the capacity. The home of my own club (Redruth RFC funnily enough) hosted the All Blacks back in 1993 and packed 17,000 in. The capacity is well below that these days as surfaces have been allowed to decline and barriers have been removed.

Michael Jones?

- - - Updated - - -

I'm pretty confident that is right so here's my question: who is the youngest ever World Cup try scorer?

What do Argentina's first matches in the '99, '03 and '07 have in common?
(This one is fairly easy, but I'm going offline for a few days so won't be able to check answers.)
Edit: just noticed there are a few possible answers, so let's exclude answers involving players (such as: xxxx participated in all three games)

Last edited:
Oops, d'oh!

(That's a forfeit I guess but for sh*ts and giggles, who is the oldest ever try scorer?)

Latest posts