RUGBY WORLD SERIES

Discussion in 'General Rugby Union' started by melon, Nov 28, 2007.

1. melon

melon Guest

A number of the top teams have supported the proposed "World Series of Rugby". The teams to be involved include:
    • Australia
    • Argentina
    • England
    • France
    • Ireland
    • Italy
    • New Zealand
    • Scotland
    • South Africa
    • Wales
    Suggested format:
    • Held twice between World Cup years
    • Six Nations and Tri Nations games to count for tournament points
    • Adds Argentina to an expanded Tri Nations format
    • Northern and southern hemisphere teams would then play each other once
    • Final to be played in Cardiff, Paris or London.
    Jon Geddes (The Daily Telegraph)
    So whats your take on this? Do you think it would work? Do you think it would be beneficial for the game?

2. Forum Ad Advertisement

3. Fushitsusha

Fushitsusha Guest

Someone has been playing EA Rugby 06.

Anyways, it's an interesting idea.

4. Haha i did a 10 nations the other day :bana:

This sounds good but travelling and the lack of time for such a mass competition could work against it. Would be great to see though rather than the odd test match in the summer.

5. ikvat

ikvat Guest

Even if some points are not very clear, sound good for me! :bravo:

6. SmokeyMonkey

SmokeyMonkey Guest

Wouldn't this devalue the World Cup?

7. ikvat

ikvat Guest

No more than Euro

8. BokMagic

BokMagic Guest

Abso-fecking-lutely brilliant concept! So what you`ll get is an expanded international window, with the top European clubs unable to restrict their top players from competing, as is happening at present with the BaaBaas.

You`ll also get full-strength test teams, none of this 2nd-stringer crap that everyone`s been guilty of lately. And any competition that provides more high-calibre test rugby between 1st-choice teams, and which also includes the Argies, is worth support indeed.

Just a bit sad that at least 1 Pi team couldn`t be included. Now if only the PIRA team concept could really take off, with a 1st-choice PIRA team also touring maybe the NH once every 4 years, almost like the Lions does down here in the SH, that`ll really get test rugby back in its rightful place- as the true showpiece of world rugby!

9. Prestwick

Prestwick Guest

My question would be: when the world series comes around, would it be played in that year instead of the usual summer/autumn internationals?

Furthermore, how would this solve player burnout by burdening an already overloaded season to have a mini-world cup twice in the four year cycle?

I mean, this isn't revolutionary, this is just the iRB copying the ICC's Champions Trophy which is seen in the Cricket world as just another cynical license to print money in the cricket mad nations of India & Pakistan via lucrative sponsorship and extra television revenue. To be honest, the fact that the RFU support it means nothing as they chase the dollar with more lust than a Thai transexual hooker used to chase an Australian soldier out on R&R from Vietnam.

However if the rather obvious is true and that it'll just mean the same number of games played by team a in a summer or autumn international test series anyway then I wouldn't mind seeing it.

10. BokMagic

BokMagic Guest

Well Prestwick, the IRB has been talking a lot of sense around a global season of late. Mind you, just talking, not doing. Yet.

So my take on this is that the teams will probably end up playing the same no. of test matches as at present, with the November test window falling away, or something along those lines. So basically the NH test season will go on for slightly longer, and the SH season start slightly earlier, if I understand the concept correctly?

And no, not even close to the ICC Champions Trophy. ODI`s does not equal real cricket anyway. Not even at the CWC.

11. KZNSharksFan

KZNSharksFan Guest

Wonderful idea, would really put the "test" back into test matches. But! What about the overload on players already? What with the expanded super series, expanded tri nations, expanded six nations etc etc. won't this be a bridge too far for players?

12. woosaah

woosaah Guest

This would probably limit the club games that the players play.
    As i am all for the idea of this i feel that the final shouldnt always be played up in the NH every time. It should be at the top qualifiers home ground OR it should rotate between the NH top qualifer and the SH top qualifer. then it would rotate between hemispheres and more of the other countries could eb in to see some quality rugby

just my thought

13. fcukernaut

fcukernaut Guest

As I read it there are no aditional fixtures. All it means is certain dedicated fixtures in the Tri-nations will count towards the "world series" standings as well as the tri-nations and then at the end of year tours that normally occur would just mean points towards the standings. Ex: New Zealands schedule.

June Tests:
    New Zealand vs Wales
    New Zealand vs France

Four nations:
    New Zealand vs Australia
    New Zealand vs South Africa
    New Zealand vs Argentina

November Tests:
    England vs New Zealand
    Italy vs New Zealand
    Scotland vs New Zealand
    Ireland vs New Zealand

Then the championship games during the next applicable test window. Or have I read that completely wrong?

Which can only be a good thing if it means a return to importance of between WC tests.

14. Prestwick

Prestwick Guest

Then why are us, India & Pakistan so f***ing hung up and uptight about our one day squads?!?!?! We almost had a postmortem bigger than Princess Diana's funeral when England crashed out of the Cricket World Cup this year!!! :cryy:

I jest, but you cannot fail but see the similarities. Still though, this uses existing capacity rather than chuck yet more matches on and would thus work, even if the existing domestic seasons stayed the same (remember that England for a start now have access to all players for all of their internationals so no more excuses about Guinness Premiership or HEC finals now). I think the iRB should go ahead with it and give it a crack, if only for a single season.

15. mimic

mimic Guest

Considering the All Blacks play the Wallabies and the Springboks 2 or 3 times each every year, which game will have points go towards the World Series points table?

Or will they have a points aggregate system?

16. fcukernaut

fcukernaut Guest

As I interpreted it, every team would end up playing everyone once. So in the Four nations, they'd just pick the three games. So one year the All Blacks schedule for the games that would count:

All Blacks vs Australia
    South Africa vs New Zealand
    All Blacks vs Argentina

Then each competition it would switch, so that the All Blacks would have two games on the road that counted towards the competition the next time around.

17. Prestwick

Prestwick Guest

Maybe the last game of the Bledisloe Cup tie for example?

18. oliv6613

oliv6613 Guest

Why not?
    It must be a good idea about the calendar is very charged

Enjoyed this thread? Register to post your reply - click here!