• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Russian rugby

While global changeis not observed, without revolutions. Although more structured league. Now we have 10 clubs in Superleague. Another promising club Kuban Krasnodar in lower level. Number of amateur clubs are growing more rapidly, particularly in the Volga region, Chernozem and North-West.
I think in the next few years several amateur clubs will be taken in the Professional League. As an example, like a club Varyag from Novgorod. Formed in 2007, 20 guys who probably saw the first time on TV Rugby World Cup in France. They started playing together, and then invited the coach from Moscow (Spartak former player), and last season they made ​​their debut Top League(Level 2pro), although the club amauter. Now Varyag is the only sports club of the city(population200 thousand) in the Russian championships.Unfortunately, in Veliky Novgorod is not a normal stadium, the Varyag is in an emergency decrep it Central Stadium.In a game with Narvskaya Zastava has gathered more than 3,000 people
http://rutube.ru/tracks/4488051.html
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LEEXh74Vbv8

Last edited:
Clubs are being asked to rally their supporters for the function at the Mandeville Sports Centre, which starts at 7pm following a North Canterbury Selection playing a touring team of semi-professionals Russians. " Semi-proff - a good term....

http://www.sportsground.co.nz/ClubSite.asp?SiteID=12910&NoCache=101222151501ZANARRMQ

Yeah, that's pretty funny that they called Krasny Yar a semi-professional club. But if you consider that they get paid full-time salaries and play like amateurs, perhpas the semi-pro term is appropriate. :lol:

What is the situation about Russian Club rugby? I keep hearing from time to time that some in Russia want a competition similar to Russian soccer or Ice Hockey set up.

This is a very broad question, but I'll try to give a brief answer.
As White Bear said, the top level of Russian club competition includes 10 teams, and for the most part they are fully professional, meaning that players and coaches get paid salaries by the club and do not have to hold side jobs to feed their families. The exact budgets and salary numbers are kept secret, but rumors say that top clubs in Monino and Krasnoyarsk have budgets over 1 million dollars and pay their players up to 3000 dollars per month, which is not huge, but enough for a comfortable lifestyle in Russia. The clubs are not self-sustaining however, because stadium attendance is very low, and there is no broadcast or merchandise income like in Europe. The clubs depend on local governments, corporate sponsors and wealthy benefactors to cover their expenses. Because of that there is a huge gap in the level of play and budgets between top clubs like VVA and clubs at the bottom of the table like Fili. VVA, Enisey and Krasny Yar blow out lower-ranked teams and only meet some decent opposition when they play each other. Therefore one of the main priorities for Russian rugby should be to close the gap between and "haves" and "have-nots" and improve parity among teams.
There are two ways that Russian rugby is trying to improve domestic clubs:
1. To continue expanding their league, including new cities, and possibly including teams from other countries in the region, like you said, following hockey's KHL model. There's been talk of the possibility of including Ukrainian and Georgian clubs into this competition, but it obviously not easy for political and economic reasons. Top 2 Ukrainian clubs from Odessa and Kharkov could probably provide good opposition to mid-level Russian teams and Ukrainian clubs would benefit from higher level competition, but Ukrainian club managers said before that they would not be able to handle increased travel costs of this expanded league.
2. The second direction is for top Russian clubs to join international club competitions in Europe, starting with the Challenge Cup. Right now negotiations are ongoing for VVA to join the Challenge Cup, but they need to finish building their own rugby-specific stadium. So it will probably not happen in the next few years, but maybe 2015?

I should add that RuggerUA said. With regard to Amlin Cup, the VVA is possible in 1-2 years is already in the Amlin Cup. All depends on the construction of the new stadium. The constructionis very slow, but promised in December 2012 to complete. Budgets, then the top-3 clubs areseveral times more than the rest. VVA 6 ml euro, Yenisei-STM 3.5 and Krasny Yar 2.5.
Salaries in the top 3 I do not know, but, for example, Vlad Korshunov had in VVA contract is greater than in London Wasps.

6 Millions for the VVA? :eek:

In 2 years, they have lost
Vadim Cobilas (Sale Sharks)
Karolis Navickas (to Natal Sharks U20, Sale Sharks Academy and now move to Bordeaux)
Vasily Artemyev (Northampton Saints)
Viktor Gresev (London Wasps)
Vladislav Korshunov (London Wasps)

+ Cotruta, Motorin, Sorokin...

And they did not replace these players... Why???

Also, for the others budgets, i've read Kazan = 1.5Mâ'¬, Penza and Novokuznetsk between 0.5 and 0.6Mâ'¬

This is last year's figures. And this season, probably at the VVA will be less than budget, this is due to reduced funding of professional sports clubs in the Moscow Region

Motorin and Sorokin completed his career. A Kotruta moved to the Kuban, according to rumors, information yet.
Good news from Super Rugby
http://www1.skysports.com/rugby-union/news/18304/7616559/Appeal-joy-for-Byrnes

Attacker Evgeny Chayka and def Vitaly Krasnodemsky from Creedo-63 Odessa went on a tour of England with VVA. After a few test matches with them may sign the contracts.
March 31 Northampton A - VVA
April 2 Sale A - VVA

Last edited:
I never really took time to inform myself over the situation of the russian rugby untill now. Now belgium is qualified for ENC division 1A, I'm taking informations over our futur opponents...
I must admit It's quite impressive to read the level of professionalism reached by the russian competition, in comparison with belgium the budgets are just incredible !
I can't wait to see next year's confrontations.

Yes, a lot of money in russian rugby

But, more than 90% of national team plays in Russia.

The fact of having so much money helps keeping the best players home...and by keeping the best ones home, you increase the general level of your championship. Nice!

Thanks for all these informations.

Unfortunately, rugby is somewhere on the 9th place (maybe even10-11, I do not know what the money in handball) in the budget of team sports in Russia. After football, Canadian hockey, basketball (men and women), volleyball (men and women), mini-football and Russian hockey.

Two Ukrainian players, winger/fullback Vitaly Krasnodemsky and prop Yevhen Chaika from Odessa were given a trial by top Russian club VVA. No contracts signed yet, but Odessa rugby club president Oleg Etnarovich has already said that his club is not afraid of losing top players to foreign teams. He said they have enough depth at the youth level to fill those positions, if Krasnodemsky and Chaika get signed by VVA. He was very congratulatory to them and said that VVA's interest in Odessa's players shows that Ukrainian players are capable of playing at higher level, and that it would be beneficial for them to play in the stronger Russian championship.

White bear, Can you explain this article about budgets in Russian Super League?redyarsk.ru/articles/detail.php?id=4280

Alexandr Pervukhin (President Enisey-STM) about join 2 Russian clubs in Japan Top League

Alexandr Yurievich, good day! I know that you recently signed a partnership agreement with a Japanese club Panasonic Wildknights, a few years ago, Yenisei-STM played against other clubs from Japan, in general, what is the level of the Japanese Top 14? Is it possible option, given the dates (September-December) to take part in the Japanese league, like the Argentine Pampas as played in South Africa, only half of the matches (in September and October) played in Krasnoyarsk, and based in Japan only in November and December?

AP:
"First you need to make the first steps we have agreed at a meeting in Japan. This exchange of visits of clubs (Enisey & Panasonic), and our juniors participated in a youth tournament in Japan, where we showed up in Desember. The level of the Japanese Top League is now high, and I think that it is currently higher than ours, because has increased dramatically in recent influx of New Zealand players and coaches (only players currently in the Japanese league plays about 230!). And the players and coaches a high level, because Payment in Japanese clubs today is not inferior to the average first division teams in France and England.
As for ways to participate in the Japan Top League, firstly, you consent to the Japanese not only take us into the League, and in the country, but also think about their return visit to Krasnoyarsk. And that - and secondly - requires significant financial expenditures; as flight to Japan is, for example, more than from Krasnoyarsk to Ireland. And the hosted will be much more expensive than in Europe.
But once again, to start, you need to take the first steps, but we will look for options for what to do next. Under the rolling stone gathers no moss."

[FONT=arial, sans-serif]
[/FONT]

Last edited:
to croket66
It is written
about the conflict of interest. Earlier in the Super League on the field allowed 6 foreign players. This season, the majority clubs voted for 4 on field 2 on the bench.
Krasnoyarsk clubs for the Legionnaires, and the VVA wants fewer foreign players, as guided by the Russian players.
Spartak is also on the side of the Krasnoyarsk clubs, as guided by the Legionnaires 'from Georgia and Moldova. And their direct competitors Penza, Slava and Fili have no such budget to invite foreign players.

Next Pervukhin said. What Yenisei A and Krasny Yar A not allowed to enter in the top league (level 2), due to the fact that European clubs do not want to fly to Krasnoyarsk.He says, let's increase the fees for foreign players (in 2011 about 100 thousand euros was paid for 28 foreign players) and give the money to the poor clubs, so they could fly to Krasnoyarsk, and that could buy a few foreign players. For example, he bought the Orlov and brothers Arkhip in just 3 thousand euros, and Saulite and Baranov came to the Yenisei on a scholarship. Look for in expensive players, buy a ta key position player from New Zealand. That is, heoffers money to help the poor clubs to raise your level.
There he says that after 2 years Bumbry has the right to play for the Russian bears (there are all the documents).

Last edited:
Not a bad idea... players like ***ica, Cobilas, Orlov or Urushadze would be counted as foreigner and players like Bambry, Horton, Morland or Chirgadze not...

Last edited:

Latest posts