• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

RWC 2011 Pool Draw

S

Sir Speedy

Ok, some sides' journeys could be ending at 3pm today if they're unlucky.
From a Welsh perspective, the worst possible draw for us is:

New Zealand
Wales
Scotland
Samoa
Wutevar!

Like, I'm not even going to assume that Wales will be any good in 2011, but that pool is horrible no matter what way you look at it. :(
Anyone else care to see how easy/hard their country will have it in a few years? :D

New Zealand will get the pisseasy group like they always do, not have any games against the top rugby teams and lose in the finals, again complaining that they didnt have any tough matches.

I'd like to see Australia have a France or England in their group.

I would have thought that Italy would be a tougher draw than the Scots, I suppose everyone will be praying for Argentina just like the top teams will be praying for Ireland or England.

Gutted we missed out on being a top seed but hey thats life

I think if we get drawn with either New Zealand / South Africa and either Scotland / Italy I think ill cry!

At least no Argentina as 3rd seeds, there's not going to be any real tough pools as anyone who gets drawn with Scotland or Italy from the second tier should have no fears and shouldn't be overly troubled come 2011

Pool A

New Zealand
France
Tonga
Americas 1
Asia 1

Pool B

Argentina
England
Scotland
Europe 1
Playoff Winner

Pool C

Australia
Ireland
Italy
Europe 2
Americas 2

Pool D

South Africa
Wales
Fiji
Oceania 1
Africa 1

Pretty pleased with that draw and it should mean going up against pool B in the quarter finals so not a bad draw for us there

****!
Why Fiji? - Why O Lord!

Tarbh, have the quarter final / semi final fixtures been announced aswell?
Can you show us what the knockout stages will be like, please?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (An Tarbh @ Dec 1 2008, 03:16 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
and double f*** if I was Welsh given the quarter final opponents[/b]
We'll be against Pool A then? :huh:

To be honest, how the hell can they put us in the hardest situation of the home nations, when we're the highest-f***ing ranked?
Next time round we should aim for eighth or seventh place like Ireland; they know the way forward. <_<

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Sir. Speedy @ Dec 1 2008, 03:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (An Tarbh @ Dec 1 2008, 03:16 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
and double f*** if I was Welsh given the quarter final opponents[/b]
We'll be against Pool A then? :huh:

To be honest, how the hell can they put us in the hardest situation of the home nations, when we're the highest-f***ing ranked?
Next time round we should aim for eighth or seventh place like Ireland; they know the way forward. <_<
[/b][/quote]

Shoot for the stars and end up in a heap of ****...

NZ will be delighted, can't get knocked out by France in the QF this time.

In all honesty, I'm not too bothered about being placed with SA... It's just the fact we'll be up against either NZ or France in the QF's, most likely NZ if we fail to beat the South Africans...

Anyone wanna bet Gatland'll retire tomorrow?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Cymro @ Dec 1 2008, 03:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
*Hints at suspect draw*

Not bad but not good enough![/b]
Not bad?!
NOT BAD?!
Our two bogey teams (Fiji, Samoa) and the World Champions and it's not freaking bad?
I bet there'll be good odds for us leaving in the pool stages...

Haha, so NZ finally get a chance to avoid France, unless they pull a 2007 England and end up playing the ABs twice (I hope that doesn't happen since it'll probably mean we arn't playing the final).

I'm actually looking at that pool of ours and getting a little worried, Fiji are hell in a world cup (as us Saffas and Welsh realised last year), and Whilst we don't have any indication of the world stage in 3 years time, if Wales are as good as they are now it will indeed be a tough pool.

Argentina must be wondering how they got out of the pool of death for a change, England and Scotland probably won't be pushovers, but it's a better draw than they usually get.

I'm ok with the pool.
As long as we keep progressing then i believe we can give south Africa a fight, and whether we win or lose that one we'll not have the worst openents against Fiji and whomever else gets through from the Oceanas.

Hm, just found these on 606:

Quarter Final 1: Winner Pool B v Runner-up Pool A
Quarter Final 2: Winner Pool C v Runner-up Pool D
Quarter Final 3: Winner Pool A v Runner-up Pool B
Quarter Final 4: Winner Pool D v Runner-up Pool C

Semi-Final 1: Winner QF1 v Winner QF2
Semi-Final 2: Winner QF3 v Winner QF4

Bronze Final: Loser SF1 v Loser SF2

Final: Winner SF1 v Winner SF2

-------------------------------------------

Isn't that correct Tarbh?
So realistically, Wales will face Ireland or Australia?

So lets look at it this way.

Pool A - New Zealand, France, Tonga, Canada, Japan

Pool B - Argentina, England, Scotland, Romania, ??????

Pool C - Australia, Ireland, Italy, Georgia, USA

Pool D - South Africa, Wales, Fiji, Samoa, Namibia

Quarters
NZ vs Scotland
England vs France
Australia vs Wales
South Africa vs Ireland

Semis
NZ vs France
Australia vs South Africa

Final
France vs South Africa

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Sir. Speedy @ Dec 1 2008, 04:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
So realistically, Wales will face Ireland or Australia?[/b]
Yeah looks that way. Picked this up on BBC "If New Zealand win their pool, England must do likewise to avoid a quarter-final meeting with the All Blacks." That leaves Australia and ireland playing SA and Wales (assuming all goes with the seeding).

Boys, i can only say this looks to be even better for us.
Ireland/Australia. That's a good call, much better than the prospect of facing new zealand/france.
No offence to the Aussies and Irish.
I'm sure you'd rather face us that new zealand or france as well.

You can't find a better opening world cup game than a New Zealand - France revange at the Eden Park... 

*choke choke choke*

Seriously, this is gonna be great. I can't wait for the first Haka, and the way the french will face it after the famous quarter final... goose bumps garanteed.

Aside that, even if we're 2nd, at the moment England, Argentina and Scotland don't represent a major threat. Could be a really different thing in 3 years however...

And pool D promises to be spectacular !

Latest posts