• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

RWC 2011 Pool Draw

Ah, Tarbh led me to believe we'd be against NZ and France.
But I forgive him. <_<

I wouldn't be surprised to see Ireland beat Australia, mind, but either way I fancy us to beat either side if we keep improving.
A long way to go yet, though...

Nope I think I buggered that up. In too much of a rush to imagine New Zealands early demise ;)

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Stillknox @ Dec 1 2008, 04:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Aside that, even if we're 2nd, at the moment England...don't represent a major threat.[/b]

Maybe that's what you thought last yearas well... and maybe that's why you got knocked out in the semis...

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (RC @ Dec 1 2008, 04:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Stillknox @ Dec 1 2008, 04:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Aside that, even if we're 2nd, at the moment England...don't represent a major threat.[/b]

Maybe that's what you thought last yearas well... and maybe that's why you got knocked out in the semis...
[/b][/quote]
Last year, England beat Australia.
This year they didn't.

Maybe this shows that they're a tad worse than the side from the RWC.
Just a theory...

By the time 2011 rolls around Australia will be a force to be reckoned with, and South Africa will be gutted by the various political sides. If there is a New Zealand v Australia final I swear to god I will commit genocide to get my hands on them.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (RC @ Dec 1 2008, 05:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Stillknox @ Dec 1 2008, 04:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Aside that, even if we're 2nd, at the moment England...don't represent a major threat. Could be a really different thing in 3 years however...[/b]

[/b][/quote]
Yeah but you can also read the entire post, it's better like that. ;)

I know well that we're always losing against England when it counts, even when they're playing like ****. The last 6 Nations confirmed that.

(by the way this is the same with Argentina)

Argentina literally played themselves to destruction. That is a huge difference to getting out of the wrong side of bed in the morning as is always the case with France :p

But yeah, wow, an actually evenly balanced World Cup for once. And if anyone bleats about England getting a cushy group then how the hell are Argentina number 4 in the world?!

Group winners in my opinion:

Pool A: New Zealand
Pool B: England (somehow, haven't worked that one out yet)
Pool C: Australia
Pool D: ....Wales ;)

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Prestwick @ Dec 1 2008, 04:51 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
then how the hell are Argentina number 4 in the world?![/b]
_44639442_roger_lewis203.jpg

"**** if I know!"

I'm pretty happy with Wales' group. Don't know how it'll go, as it's to far away to be quessing what form teams will be in, but I'm hoping we will be up there with the best, meaning the SA game should be a cracker. We won't (famous last words) **** up against Fiji again, Gatland wouldn't allow it. Then the quarters (if we get there) are about as good as we can ask for, it'll be Ireland/Aus, both of which we can beat on our day. After that, well it's always tough!

Waaay better draws that last year, the seeding system was the right way to go, though I'm still convinced today was not the right time to do it!

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Stillknox @ Dec 1 2008, 04:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (RC @ Dec 1 2008, 05:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Aside that, even if we're 2nd, at the moment England...don't represent a major threat. Could be a really different thing in 3 years however...[/b]

[/b][/quote]
Yeah but you can also read the entire post, it's better like that. ;)

I know well that we're always losing against England when it counts, even when they're playing like ****. The last 6 Nations confirmed that.

(by the way this is the same with Argentina)
[/b][/quote]

Haha! Fair play.
But to be fair, no one would blame you for not thinking England were much of a threat right now.
They're on poor form, but like you rightly pointed out: the world cup is 3 years away.

Hopefully Wales won't spend the next three years just pumping iron in the gym and working the sunbeds like they did last time during the Jenkins era...

It's all a bit academic giving predictions now. But if history is anything to go by then SA have a nice pool.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Prestwick @ Dec 1 2008, 05:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Hopefully Wales won't spend the next three years just pumping iron in the gym and working the sunbeds like they did last time during the Jenkins era...[/b]

But hey, if they do then at least they'll get knocked out in the pool stages looking buffed and tanned, right?
What more could i ask from my squad of metrosexuals.
Lead the way Gav!

...and Lee Byrne

...and Mike Phillips

...and James Hook

...oh dear god! :mellow:

The young players coming through the Aussie system + Dingo Deans development (Triple D) will bring Australia to the point in 2011 where they will destroy all you Northies with ease, it is as simple as that. Just think, Crusaders with a whole country of talent to choose from, by that stage much of who will be the best in the world. Oh man I am excited.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (RC @ Dec 1 2008, 05:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Prestwick @ Dec 1 2008, 05:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hopefully Wales won't spend the next three years just pumping iron in the gym and working the sunbeds like they did last time during the Jenkins era...[/b]

But hey, if they do then at least they'll get knocked out in the pool stages looking buffed and tanned, right?
What more could i ask from my squad of metrosexuals.
Lead the way Gav!

...and Lee Byrne

...and Mike Phillips

...and James Hook

...oh dear god! :mellow:
[/b][/quote]

Speaking of Mike "Knucklehead" Phillips...

arnold.jpg

I HAZ HOOODGE MOOSLES! CHEK OUT MA KNEEEWW WALES STRUP!

*que the obligatory 25 page hang-wring-a-thon that is the "Is the new Wales strip scarlet or light red and is it any good?" thread*

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Monkeypigeon @ Dec 1 2008, 04:21 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Sir. Speedy @ Dec 1 2008, 03:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (An Tarbh @ Dec 1 2008, 03:16 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
and double f*** if I was Welsh given the quarter final opponents[/b]
We'll be against Pool A then? :huh:

To be honest, how the hell can they put us in the hardest situation of the home nations, when we're the highest-f***ing ranked?
Next time round we should aim for eighth or seventh place like Ireland; they know the way forward. <_<
[/b][/quote]

Shoot for the stars and end up in a heap of ****...

NZ will be delighted, can't get knocked out by France in the QF this time.
[/b][/quote]

Well this time they can lose twice versus France, during their first match just after the opening ceremony and during their last match provided they manage to qualify for the knock out stage and reach SF.

Given that Scotland has made life so much more difficult for themselves by finding themselves outside the top 8 seeds, I think the draw has been pretty kind to ourselves.

Whilst we are still three years away from the WC itself, if it were played next month I'd feel confident of progressing. Mainly at the expense of England who are simply awful at the moment. Argentina have also had a rough last few internationals, losing both at home to Scotland and away to Ireland. That said, Scotland haven't progressed too much themselves recently. Sure they have had a lot of possession and pressure in the recent games against New Zealand and South Africa, they are still missing that killer touch and that ability to turn pressure into points.

Like I said though, it's three years away and so much can and will change for all teams involved in that time. It's good to see the Kiwi's in a group with France though. :lol:

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Sir. Speedy @ Dec 1 2008, 05:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Hm, just found these on 606:

Quarter Final 1: Winner Pool B v Runner-up Pool A
Quarter Final 2: Winner Pool C v Runner-up Pool D
Quarter Final 3: Winner Pool A v Runner-up Pool B
Quarter Final 4: Winner Pool D v Runner-up Pool C

Semi-Final 1: Winner QF1 v Winner QF2
Semi-Final 2: Winner QF3 v Winner QF4

Bronze Final: Loser SF1 v Loser SF2

Final: Winner SF1 v Winner SF2

-------------------------------------------

Isn't that correct Tarbh?
So realistically, Wales will face Ireland or Australia?[/b]

In fairness I was making assumptions, normally A plays D like 1 playing 4 but given there's a Frenchman in charge of the IRB then logic goes out the window I guess :p

England's group:

Top seed - Argentina - haven't performed since world cup
- England - haven't performed since world cup
- Scotland - my memory's not that long.
Europe 1. Presumably Georgia or Romania or someone.
Playoff. Presumably will go to another European country like Portugal. Maybe it could be filled by Afghanistan...

To surmise... looks like the pool to avoid for lovers of champagne rugby. But who knows, come 2011 maybe Argentina will let Hernandez choose the tactics; England may have worked out that tries still count if they're scored from more than 5m out; and Scotland may have worked out that tries can be scored at all. We live in hope.

Latest posts