• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

RWC 2015: Scotland

The continuing non-rating of John Barclay puzzles the hell out of me.

Scarlets fans must be delighted though.

Wikipedia said:
While the Highlanders had a poor 2013, Hardie one of the teams outstanding performers, leading the team in tackles completed, pilfers and runs made.

But he's only played one test for Scotland so we're yet to see. Hopefully he'll be a monster but hell of a gamble.

Gutted for Cowan the man is a class act and I don't know what the hell he has done wrong. Same for Barclay.

I don't doubt for a second that Hardie is a terrific player, but he's neither better not more deserving than Barclay. This is one decision that is going to turn a lot of Scotland fans off Cotter I feel, myself included.
And I agree that I also feel for Cowan on missing out. That one is slightly more up for debate however. I however have been very impressed with Cowan in a Scotland shirt.

I'm also baffled by the absence of Barclay (and the inclusion of Stroker), but accept that Cotter knows a lil bit more than me about the players, and has seen them in training. Still...

I imagine Swinson's in over Harley to help our set piece.

I agree Weir is an exciting 10, but think Jackson offers more hope of a 'controlled' offensive game. Think Cotter has talked about chaos though so that may explain why!

I'm also baffled by the absence of Barclay (and the inclusion of Stroker), but accept that Cotter knows a lil bit more than me about the players, and has seen them in training. Still...

I imagine Swinson's in over Harley to help our set piece.

I agree Weir is an exciting 10, but think Jackson offers more hope of a 'controlled' offensive game. Think Cotter has talked about chaos though so that may explain why!

I think that's exactly it with Weir. Looks like he ate all the pies, but he can shift a bit from a standing start, and he likes to mix it up. As for the 9 spot, I suppose we now know who's the fancied scrum half. Having said that, some of the abuse heaped on Laidlaw in the past was a bit unwarranted. He's not that bad.

As for the Barclay issue, Ithink it's pretty well-known that he ****** off the Fat Bluffer somehow, and the FB still has influence. Would it seem like a conspiracy theory to suggest that the only reason Barclay came in to the warm-up squad was so they could claim he wasn't in exile, with no intention of actually selecting him for the final squad?

However, delighted for Welshy. He played in the same county Under-15 team as my son years ago (both tightheads), and my lad got the start in every game. It didn't seem to stunt his career path!

Cottar is a professional coach who is paid to make the decisions . The squad choice appears flawed with the selection of only one recognised number 7 in Hardie . Cottar states that McInally and Vertnon can play there if required ! Don't buy that - Cowan AND Barclay merit squad inclusion whilst Stroker can be deemed fortunate to be included .

A great game from Scotland today, very proud off they're performance. Took they're chances very well and at the end making the most off Italy's mistakes. John Barclay is a monster, That is why he should be in the squad. Al Dickinson deserved man off the match, very very strong scrummaging from him. Russell played really well, His decision's were very good he and Pyrgos is my choice for 9 and 10.

This is a massive confidence booster for next week against France. We can win against Samoa if we play like this.

By continuing this performance, we can thrash Samoa and have a chance to challenge England or Wales (but very unlikely against Australia).

Is the France game the last warming-up match?

By continuing this performance, we can thrash Samoa and have a chance to challenge England or Wales (but very unlikely against Australia).

Is the France game the last warming-up match?
Yeah it is.

Can't quite believe I'm saying this, but will be rooting for Scotland in the group stages, their finally look like there playing a brand of rugby we've been waiting for, for a while.
I think they could even lose 2 games in the group and still go through, but I don't see why they can't beat Samoa, USA and Japan in this kind of form, Japan are going to be a lot tougher than people think, with the Japanese league getting so many big names over there, sharing their experience, they have looked like a tough side I the Asian cup also(but that is the Asian cup :lol: ).

Like everybody else I'm slightly bemused by some of cotter's selections,but considering our past false dawns and failures with previously mentioned "names" it's only right he stands or falls by the final score lines. Let's face it, he can't do much worse than recently, can he?

No problem for Ryan Grant? Then Alex Dunbar (Glasgow Warriors) is the only significant injury loss?

Kevin Bryce has been called up to replace Stuart McInally who has a neck injury

Looks like Hogg will be the only doubt prior to the opener against Japan on Wednesday . Despite Cowan and Barclay being omitted it is a reasonably balanced squad selection .

Cottar is a professional coach who is paid to make the decisions . The squad choice appears flawed with the selection of only one recognised number 7 in Hardie . Cottar states that McInally and Vertnon can play there if required ! Don't buy that - Cowan AND Barclay merit squad inclusion whilst Stroker can be deemed fortunate to be included .

Top tackler last night. I'm not a big fan, but he answered his critics.

Gilchrist done for the tournament, tough one for him but guess it will be the Gray brothers from here on. Should be okay as long as Richie can figure out where the kick offs are going to land. Really need Russell to be okay.

I am sure of qualification for QF. But we want to avoid the rampant Wallabies. We would have chance against damaged Wales.

I am sure of qualification for QF. But we want to avoid the rampant Wallabies. We would have chance against damaged Wales.

Yeah I think both Wales and Scotland are fancying each other right now. The scots would deffo have a strong chance under the circumstances.