iINDOMINUSxx

First XV
TRF Legend
Country Flag
Scotland
Club or Nation
Edinburgh
Scotland.png

So i see @heineken posted a South Africa topic for the world cup so i'll make a Scotland one.

It doesn't look that good after a horrible six nations, which just went horribly wrong for us. There is no chance that we will win the world no matter what Denton say's i'm afraid for us it doesn't look like that is possible. We should win against the United States and Japan. As i said our main big point in our group is the second place play-off against Scotland and Samoa i really dont know who will come out on top. For the world cup i would like to see Gregor Townsend helping with the Scotland squad in some way. Our biggest worries is missing out Alex Dunbar and Mark Bennett for the world cup.

My prediction is that Scotland can make it into the quarter finals this year but thats is as far we can go. what is your thoughts ?, what is Scotland chances in the world cup?​

Last edited by a moderator:
Your pack will be able to dominate Samoa at scrum time, then it should lead to a win. Of course you could play like you did against Italy and then you will lose and lose badly to the fire power outside in Samoa.

2nd in the group I think then lose in the wuarter finals. Scotland need to play properly though because Samoa have some power which could make life difficult if the Scots are inaccurate.

2nd in the group I think then lose in the wuarter finals. Scotland need to play properly though because Samoa have some power which could make life difficult if the Scots are inaccurate.
I have a feeling that if we play the exact same way that we played Against Italy then we will lose to Samoa. But i agree with both you and @TheSaffycen i can't see us getting pass the quarter finals even if we make it out the group we would then have to play either Australia, England or Wales and we will lose to any off them.

Last edited by a moderator:
Very weird as in the AIs you beat Argentina well and looked very classy. In the 6 nations most 2nd tier teams would give you a game.

If we can get our strongest XV fit we should get 2nd and then go down fighting.

I'm sure if we play like we did in the Autumn tests when we would give anyone a fight even for first place in the group, even though its most likely we wont get first but we can put a good fight in it.

Depends if they can get the errors under control. Even the US will be a challenge if the Scots keep gifting penalties in their own half. The occasional exciting running from the backs can't make up the defecit.

Your pack will be able to dominate Samoa at scrum time, then it should lead to a win.

Dunno about that. As I recall, Scottish forwards were totally bereft of power throughout the 6N. Any scrum or driving maul and they were up a certain creek without a certain instrument...

Depends if they can get the errors under control. Even the US will be a challenge if the Scots keep gifting penalties in their own half. The occasional exciting running from the backs can't make up the defecit.

Dunno about that. As I recall, Scottish forwards were totally bereft of power throughout the 6N. Any scrum or driving maul and they were up a certain creek without a certain instrument...
I disagree with what you said about our scrums, i thought our scrums were pretty solid in the six nations, but the maul is a huge issue for us and we lost against Italy because off the driving maul.

well i think after the challenge cup final, Laidlaw will be our 9 and captain again.....

god help us.

Laidlaw is an absolutely quality player. He's been one of the stand-out players all season for Gloucester (second to Kvesic IMO). His kicking game, tempo and distribution are top notch. He's now started running the ball too, and it's something I'd like to see more of because he does it fairly well. Perhaps Scotland need to be better at things like contesting the ball in the air, because it is something that Gloucester do very well from Laidlaw's kicks. If Scotland aren't seeing that side of him, then I can only take from that that it's a management/coaching problem, or a weakness of the Scottish pack, not a Laidlaw problem.

The Laidlaw/Clyne situation reminds me of the Laidlaw/Robson situation. Yeah, Clyne/Robson may be slightly flashier. If no one else in the team is offering anything, then these might. But the point where you're relying on your 9 to create anything is when the situation has gotten dire. Laidlaw is the choice for any team that wants to build an effective territory game. Laidlaw would start for England for me, if he were English.

Laidlaw is an absolutely quality player. He's been one of the stand-out players all season for Gloucester (second to Kvesic IMO). His kicking game, tempo and distribution are top notch. He's now started running the ball too, and it's something I'd like to see more of because he does it fairly well. Perhaps Scotland need to be better at things like contesting the ball in the air, because it is something that Gloucester do very well from Laidlaw's kicks. If Scotland aren't seeing that side of him, then I can only take from that that it's a management/coaching problem, or a weakness of the Scottish pack, not a Laidlaw problem.

The Laidlaw/Clyne situation reminds me of the Laidlaw/Robson situation. Yeah, Clyne/Robson may be slightly flashier. If no one else in the team is offering anything, then these might. But the point where you're relying on your 9 to create anything is when the situation has gotten dire. Laidlaw is the choice for any team that wants to build an effective territory game. Laidlaw would start for England for me, if he were English.

I'm inclined to agree with this, a lot of Scotland is made of Glasgow players yet Scotland play nothing like Glasgow.

I'm inclined to agree with this, a lot of Scotland is made of Glasgow players yet Scotland play nothing like Glasgow.
yeah to be fair i'm sure that was the reason why we have so many backs in the Scotland team from Glasgow is for Scotland to play like Glasgow but they don't because Vern is trying to make Scotland more like Clermont.

Euan Murray announced his retirement to international rugby. I am surprise he retired before the world cup. But i'm glad to see him go, he's not bad but i just dont like the fact he doesn't play on sundays. http://www.scottishrugby.org/news/15/05/11/murray-calls-time-test-career-0.

So that will mean Geoff Cross will probably start at tighthead, while there are rumours that WP Nel is now qualified to play for Scotland.

Jason O'Halloran will be joining the coaching team as backs coach after the world cup. replacing Duncan Hodge.

Last edited:

Latest posts