• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2015 RWC] Pool B: South Africa vs. Scotland (03/10/2015)

TRF_heineken

RIP #J9
Staff member
TRF Legend
Country Flag
South Africa
Club or Nation
South Africa
vTRhZ65.png

South%20Africa.png
Versus%20Telstra.png
Scotland.png

St James Park, Newcastle upon Tyne (03/10/2015, 16:45)
Pool B, Round 3

Referee: Nigel Owens
23px-Flag_of_Wales_2.svg.png

Teams

South Africa: 15 Willie le Roux, 14 JP Pietersen, 13 Jesse Kriel, 12 Damian de Allende, 11 Bryan Habana, 10 Handre Pollard, 9 Fourie du Preez (captain), 8 Duane Vermeulen, 7 Schalk Burger (vice-captain), 6 Francois Louw, 5 Lood de Jager, 4 Eben Etzebeth, 3 Jannie du Plessis, 2 Bismarck du Plessis, 1 Tendai Mtawarira

Substitutes: 16 Adriaan Strauss, 17 Trevor Nyakane, 18 Frans Malherbe, 19 Pieter-Steph du Toit, 20 Willem Alberts, 21 Ruan Pienaar, 22 Pat Lambie, 23 Jan Serfontein

Scotland: TBA

Last edited:
Sorry to hear about Jean de Villiers retiring from international rugby. It's a pity that such a great man's career must end in this way. But at the same time it creates the opportunity for another great center combo to develop. Damian De Allende and Jesse Kriel troubled the All Blacks and the whole world took notice of this new fresh and young center pairing of the Springboks, but it was only for a limited period of time. Now they will have more time to play together.

It was a good thing that Meyer called up Jan Serfontein instead of Frans Steyn, as Steyn still has some issues with SARU and is still coming to terms with his brother's suicide. Victor Matfield should take over as captain and steer the boat with Duane as his vice captain. The Boks have the confidence they so sorely lacked this whole year. They are a great team but they just needed that spark to get them going and playing great rugby again. Hopefully that happened at Birmingham this weekend.

Sorry to hear about Jean de Villiers retiring from international rugby. It's a pity that such a great man's career must end in this way. But at the same time it creates the opportunity for another great center combo to develop. Damian De Allende and Jesse Kriel troubled the All Blacks and the whole world took notice of this new fresh and young center pairing of the Springboks, but it was only for a limited period of time. Now they will have more time to play together.

It was a good thing that Meyer called up Jan Serfontein instead of Frans Steyn, as Steyn still has some issues with SARU and is still coming to terms with his brother's suicide. Victor Matfield should take over as captain and steer the boat with Duane as his vice captain. The Boks have the confidence they so sorely lacked this whole year. They are a great team but they just needed that spark to get them going and playing great rugby again. Hopefully that happened at Birmingham this weekend.

Well Jan Serfontein played a full 80 minutes this past weekend for the Bulls, and showed glimpses of his old self after his injuries.

I think Victor is the first candidate to take over the captaincy with Schalk in second place (as both of them has been captain this year for the Bokke). We also have Duane Vermeulen, Francois Louw, Fourie Du Preez and Bismarck Du Plessis who could be captains. Personally I'd go for Duane...

I'm also interested to see who got out of the Samoa game in one piece. Jesse Kriel looked like he got a very bad knock on his left eye, and Jannie and Schalk went off for injuries, yet I don't know what type of injury. Personally, I think Jannie was rather poor in this match, and my guess is that Malherbe was going to start against Scotland anyway...

Last edited:

Do you have news on injury updates I don't? As far as I know all three those highlighted players are under an injury cloud even if those injuries aren't expected to keep them out of the tournament it might mean we are going to have to shuffle for Scotland.

Matfield is not as big a worry as it might've been since we have De Jager and PSdT to cover lock. We need our centers though. Otherwise its probably 12)Serf 13)JPP or some combination of those two and whoever might pass as fit towards Thursday.

My main concern though is Fourie du Preez. So, here's holding thumbs.

This is the defining game of the pool. Beat Scotland well and we are through tops depending on if we/they pick up any bonus points (though I probably shouldn't count the USA as 4/5 sure log points?). Go down to Scotland and things get interesting though we probably would still go through looking at BPs and points differences because one of Scotland or Samoa would be taking the other out so that a Scottish win would see us go through as 2nd while a Samoa win would through things open but in all likelyhood we'd end on top of the pile in that case assuming max points vs the US and a losing BP against Scotland.. but lets not let it get that desperate and just beat the Scots well, eh, boys? Boys?!?

Big game. A good win for the Bok and they could be back on track. Getting Thor back completely fit and firing would be huge for them, almost team-transformative.

So injuries permitting I would see a similar starting 15 to Samoa with only change being Kriel on for JdV.

I think Scotland will want to play fast and wide so HM might need to consider a few changes up front to get to the breakdown and slow things down a bit

Would like to see PSdT at least on the bench for this one.

Not sure Pollard should start. Kicking record was dismal against Samoa. Perhaps Steyn is an option to take the points on offer.

A sore one for Scotland to loose Grant Gilchrist for the remainder of the tournament after getting himself injured against the USA. I expect Rob Harley from Glasgow to be called up as a replacement but Cotter has surprised me in the past with his selections so we'll see. Still waiting on any real update regarding the injury to Finn Russell. to loose him for this game would be a sore on for Scotland as he really has become the main man at 10.

Big game. A good win for the Bok and they could be back on track. Getting Thor back completely fit and firing would be huge for them, almost team-transformative.
Vermeulen back certainly helps. Back to his best and he will certainly go a long way to getting us back on track. Sadly it looks like Alberts won't make it and Louw isn't on form. We're probably going to have to keep Burger and bring in one of Marcel Coetzee, Heinrich Brussow or Oupa Mohoje. I wouldn't know who. I'd prefer Coetzee myself but you just can't be sure how it'd pan out. I mean we've arguably left our best (at least on form if not name) players out in half the positions.

So injuries permitting I would see a similar starting 15 to Samoa with only change being Kriel on for JdV.

I think Scotland will want to play fast and wide so HM might need to consider a few changes up front to get to the breakdown and slow things down a bit

Would like to see PSdT at least on the bench for this one.

Not sure Pollard should start. Kicking record was dismal against Samoa. Perhaps Steyn is an option to take the points on offer.
Pollard is capable of kicking a 100% game. I'd rather keep him in there and show some confidence in him. Even if he misses 2 r 3 kicks at goal this game what he adds in terms of getting our backline going is worth it as without that we'll have less tries at goal in any case.

http://www.sport24.co.za/Rugby/WorldCup/Clock-ticking-for-Alberts-20150928

Any news one whether we will be flying Alberts home? I wonder whether Mohoje might get a call up? It is between him and Coetzee for me.

We'll probably know by tomorrow. I'd hope we get a 2nd openside into the squad if Alberts has to go. Louw isn't on top form and while Brussow is in Japan I'd back Coetzee or get Jaco Kriel in like he should've been. He has kept up that incredible work rate and impact for long enough now to warrant a call up IMO. PSdT can cover where Mohoje would; back up for 4th choice lock lock and blindside.

I think resting Jannie du Plessis for Malherbe is a good choice in any case so if Jannie's injury isn't long term its no worry. I still can't believe Meyer went with Oosthuizen over either of Kitshoff or Koch.

Last edited:
A sore one for Scotland to loose Grant Gilchrist for the remainder of the tournament after getting himself injured against the USA. I expect Rob Harley from Glasgow to be called up as a replacement but Cotter has surprised me in the past with his selections so we'll see. Still waiting on any real update regarding the injury to Finn Russell. to loose him for this game would be a sore on for Scotland as he really has become the main man at 10.

Yup, don't think we've got a hope in hell without Russell.

I'd imagine Harley too, but given how much Cotter surprised with the 31 it's probably not worth speculating on!

Yeah wouldn't be surprised to see jim Hamilton step out of retirement with cotter selection at times

Alberts should never have been picked for the WC, he almost hasn't played all year. If he is replaced it should be Kriel or Coetzee as Mohoje is rubbish!

http://www.sport24.co.za/Rugby/WorldCup/Clock-ticking-for-Alberts-20150928

Any news one whether we will be flying Alberts home? I wonder whether Mohoje might get a call up? It is between him and Coetzee for me.
They should bring back Coetzee, if he as recovered from his injury and is fit.

- - - Updated - - -

Well Jan Serfontein played a full 80 minutes this past weekend for the Bulls, and showed glimpses of his old self after his injuries.

I think Victor is the first candidate to take over the captaincy with Schalk in second place (as both of them has been captain this year for the Bokke). We also have Duane Vermeulen, Francois Louw, Fourie Du Preez and Bismarck Du Plessis who could be captains. Personally I'd go for Duane...

I'm also interested to see who got out of the Samoa game in one piece. Jesse Kriel looked like he got a very bad knock on his left eye, and Jannie and Schalk went off for injuries, yet I don't know what type of injury. Personally, I think Jannie was rather poor in this match, and my guess is that Malherbe was going to start against Scotland anyway...

I think Jannie should be rested until we reach the play-offs, and Malherbe should be given a run against Scotland. Kriel should be ok this weekend to play ,otherwise Serfontein will have to stand in for him. What about Morne Steyn and Rudy Paige? Will they ever play a match in this World Cup? I guess they will get a run against the USA, if we can beat Scotland convincingly. Victor will probably take over as Captain, and I will go with Duanne to be the new Bok Captain next year.

Vermeulen back certainly helps. Back to his best and he will certainly go a long way to getting us back on track. Sadly it looks like Alberts won't make it and Louw isn't on form. We're probably going to have to keep Burger and bring in one of Marcel Coetzee, Heinrich Brussow or Oupa Mohoje. I wouldn't know who. I'd prefer Coetzee myself but you just can't be sure how it'd pan out. I mean we've arguably left our best (at least on form if not name) players out in half the positions.

Pollard is capable of kicking a 100% game. I'd rather keep him in there and show some confidence in him. Even if he misses 2 r 3 kicks at goal this game what he adds in terms of getting our backline going is worth it as without that we'll have less tries at goal in any case.

We'll probably know by tomorrow. I'd hope we get a 2nd openside into the squad if Alberts has to go. Louw isn't on top form and while Brussow is in Japan I'd back Coetzee or get Jaco Kriel in like he should've been. He has kept up that incredible work rate and impact for long enough now to warrant a call up IMO. PSdT can cover where Mohoje would; back up for 4th choice lock lock and blindside.

I think resting Jannie du Plessis for Malherbe is a good choice in any case so if Jannie's injury isn't long term its no worry. I still can't believe Meyer went with Oosthuizen over either of Kitshoff or Koch.

We'll know more about the injuries later today, especially regarding Willem Alberts, who I hope recovers, he always plays well in the NH.

As for Pollard. It was a confidence thing regarding his kicking, and as he didn't start against Japan, this past game against Samoa, was his first start. He got better as the match went on. And I will start him against Scotland too. Lambie on the other hand has not impressed me at all, and I'm inclined to think that Morne Steyn might be on the bench this coming weekend.

If we are going to call up another flanker, it will be one who was part of the original bigger squad, so I doubt it that Jaco Kriel will be called up, even though I think he is currently the best in SA. I hope we call Brussouw, but I have a feeling it will Marcel Coetzee, who IMHO should be there ahead of Kolisi.

South Africa to do well in the 1st half holding off the impending Scottish onslaught but the 2nd half Scotland will open up the South Africans and the flood gates will open and the destruction to the Bokke will be complete. Bonus point win to Scotland 42 - 10. And I for one will be welcoming our new ginger pasty Scottish overlords.

Expecting a Scotland win by 14.

Wow I think that is a little high... I think SA is going to win, but even if we lost I don't think Scotland will be able to win us with that big of a margin.

I don't think even the All Blacks or Australia won us that far in the Rugby Championship.

I think the Samoa game was just the beginning of what we can do. And to not have conceded a try against them spoke volumes of our defensive structure.

I think we will use our mauls like we did against Samoa and set it up for our backline. And if we have De Allende and Kriel as our centre pair, I can see us winning by more than 25 points against the Scots...

I can't wait for this game - really interested to see how Scotland match up with SA. I reckon they might pinch a win. I hope you don't find that insulting Heineken ;)