• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2015 RWC] Pool B: South Africa vs. Japan (19/09/2015)

Before the World Cup I said to a mate 'if I was South Africa I would be mixing the team around in the group games and try to get a 2nd place result as 2nd would be better in the scheme of things'. Now I'm not saying that South Africa purposely went out against japan to loose but perhaps something to think about.

Finishing 2nd would put South Africa on the easier side of the knockout rounds, they potentially would miss England or Australia or Wales and the all blacks until the final.

I think SA opening game loss to japan May work in their favour

We are more likely to still top the pool than not though. Unless we are in for more surprises; SA losing a 2nd match in the pool and/or Japan going through the pool stages undefeated would still be seen as unlikely.

Before the World Cup I said to a mate 'if I was South Africa I would be mixing the team around in the group games and try to get a 2nd place result as 2nd would be better in the scheme of things'. Now I'm not saying that South Africa purposely went out against japan to loose but perhaps something to think about.

Finishing 2nd would put South Africa on the easier side of the knockout rounds, they potentially would miss England or Australia or Wales and the all blacks until the final.

I think SA opening game loss to japan May work in their favour

They potentially would miss England or Australia or Wales? What do you mean? RSA cannot avoid 1 of 3 (Fiji's loss to England means Fiji's miracle is almost impossible now).

But other side is they'd be on same side as 1 of Aus, Wales England, Ireland/France. There's no real easy route. Yes it's easier if you avoid All Blacks but if you want to be serious you have to be ready to meet them at some stage.

But other side is they'd be on same side as 1 of Aus, Wales England, Ireland/France. There's no real easy route. Yes it's easier if you avoid All Blacks but if you want to be serious you have to be ready to meet them at some stage.

Anyway, I am sure that RSA will not overcome any of Australia, England or Wales. RSA must be realistically--their target is QF now.

I still expect South Africa to top their group.
An 'England 2007 style turnaround' is possible - especially because this Boks squad is far more talented than that one! The South Africans playwith more pride than prettyy much any other team. I expect them to come back and beat both Scotland and Samoa. Scotland should make it past Samoa and Japan, so it could come down to points difference if that's the case - that's the only way I can see the boks not finishing top of the pile

You would reconsider that choice, if you saw how out of form Jan Serfontein is at the moment. He's playing Currie Cup, but he has been a shambles for the Blue Bulls. His injury came at the worst time for him as I don't think he will be called up if a centre gets injured. My guess would be that Frans Steyn would be next in line.

That's fair, swap Frans Steyn for Serfontain and that would be my line up..

That is interesting! I've always wished there would be a few more Asian players at the top level in New Zealand rugby. Played with a few Vietnamese and Cambodian players at club level who were good - it's surprising that there hasn't been an All Black who has an Asian ethnicity. Perhaps Ono was one who slipped under the radar here.

There have been a few Asian players come up through the schooling system in Christchurch - I've seen a couple here and there for Boys High and St Bedes. I reckon it's really positive. Sometimes we have exchange programs that provide that pathway and other times they've just flat out broken into the team. I wouldn't mind seeing a nippy little halfback who has Asian heritage in the All Blacks one day - maybe even at number 10.

Personally id be going on the side of caution and saying Japan has probably awakened a sleeping giant. Because we both know thats more than likely the case.

Yes you were right. Well done to the boks for the rebound. A blessing in disguise that jdv is injured. Great bloke and player but he wasn't really up for this and a young fast attacking centre combination will take the boks a long way.

Latest posts