• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[RWC19 Warm-Up] - Japan vs. South Africa

This can go in any direction on the day and I simply want this done with no injuries to either side.
Good tough game, Japan playing their hearts out but Boks natural ability winning fairly comfortably in the end.
+1 for getting to know the conditions better and get settled in their campaign

I like Japan a lot, and obviously they're at home and there's the 2015 game etc., but surely this is a pretty comfortable win for South Africa?

Is it just Springbok fans not wanting to count their chickens before they're hatched or have I missed the period where Japan became a legitimate top 3 tier 1 international side...?

first part of the latter and with so many good things going for us we don't want and need any derailment in our preparation

Horses for courses I guess.

But I agree on Malherbe, and like the journo's are writing, I tend to agree that Frans needs to have a good showing to prove he's not worse than Nyakane.

But yeah, I dread these warm-up games, like the Argentina game, one wrong move, and a guy's world cup dream might be over like in Marcell Coetzee's case.

SA fans/media are getting way ahead of themselves regarding Nkosi

Argentina defence from Tucalet & Moyano was pathetic for both tries in Pretoria'

Moreover Mapimipi was the Sharks best player in Super Rugby along with Bosch
Nkosi was nowhere to be seen in comparison

Finally Mapimipi & Kolbe are able to play #11 + #14 whilst Nkosi only plays #14

It's the Best 23 players available for the Boks minus Elton Jantjes

No chance F Steyn is backup #10 against Tier 1 teams Guys has 30 mins at most
as impact plyaer

I like Japan a lot, and obviously they're at home and there's the 2015 game etc., but surely this is a pretty comfortable win for South Africa?

Is it just Springbok fans not wanting to count their chickens before they're hatched or have I missed the period where Japan became a legitimate top 3 tier 1 international side...?

I expect Boks to beat the crap out of Japan to expunge the memory of 2015 game

50 point hammering would not be a shock if Boks go all out

Japs played well against Fiji but Fijians were utter garbage & way below their best

I think it's just the unknown factors involved. This will be the first time SA will ever play an international test in Japan.

The players we have in our squad who have played in Japan all say that the conditions in Japan is very tough and tiresome.

But with that said, I think we are all cautious because we want the cup and we feel that we have a squad that can go all the way to the finals, but we know that we face the All Blacks in our pool, so our mentality is more so on the AB's than on this Japanese fixture.

I think we'll win comfortably, but I don't expect a blowout or a runaway score.

This is a strong Japanese team, but we are going to smash them, have no fear boyos.

I think because we are used to seeing the Sunwolves team occasionally pull upsets over our unions we have gotten paranoid. This isn't a union team this is the Bokke, and not only is it the Bokke but it's our first string side.

If we lose I will live stream Seppuku, because I will have nothing left to live for.

Edit: Agreed with Heineken about Malherbe, honestly he's been coasting on his spot for a while, no reason to with Koch/Nyakane and Louw in the wings.

Argentina defence from Tucalet & Moyano was pathetic for both tries in Pretoria'

as impact plyaer

Shark fan here who actually watched every match in Super rugby and followed the form. Nkosi was injured for a period, then Fassi and Mapimpi played with Kobus van Wyk coming in occasionally.
When Nkosi came back he was great! They started to play Fassi at Fullback with Nkosi and Mapimpi on the wings. I literally have not seen Nkosi have a bad game, I don't know where this idea comes from.
He currently has 7 tries in 8 games playing for the Springboks against tier 1 nations. His record is comparable with Julian Savea in his heyday in terms of try conversion rate.

He is a strong ball carrier/catcher/high ball catcher/ stepper/tackler.

I would pick Nkosi and Mapimpi on the wings and put Kolbe on Fullback (in a Damian McKenzie kind of role)
If you insist on Kolbe at wing then I would as a Shark fan with a love for the Springboks play Nkosi instead of Mapimpi.

I love Mapimpi and I think he is super deadly on the attack but Nkosi is also deadly on the attack just slightly slower than Mapimpi but that is offset by being much better than Mapimpi on defence and being a devilish stepper.

It's funny. You wouldn't rate Japan vs Australia or Scotland. People just seem to think that Asian teams get a bonus against African teams somehow.

South Africa sure counted their chickens in 2015 - and watching that game didn't look like Japan just capitalized on some South African mistakes, they knew what they were doing and had confidence.

Those Rugby 10-14 guys were talking about the hurt factor, and how it applies to Wales, Ireland, France, Scotland and England, but they overlooked South Africa there.
South Africa will be well prepared and get a blowout in their first ever win over Japan. That bonus is a myth.

Looks like a very strong Boks 23.

I do prefer The Beast and Big Trevor starting.

Nkosi is a better player then Mapimpi.

as impact plyaer
ko

Shark fan here who actually watched every match in Super rugby and followed the form. Nkosi was injured for a period, then Fassi and Mapimpi played with Kobus van Wyk coming in occasionally.
When Nkosi came back he was great! They started to play Fassi at Fullback with Nkosi and Mapimpi on the wings. I literally have not seen Nkosi have a bad game, I don't know where this idea comes from.
He currently has 7 tries in 8 games playing for the Springboks against tier 1 nations. His record is comparable with Julian Savea in his heyday in terms of try conversion rate.

He is a strong ball carrier/catcher/high ball catcher/ stepper/tackler.

I would pick Nkosi and Mapimpi on the wings and put Kolbe on Fullback (in a Damian McKenzie kind of role)
If you insist on Kolbe at wing then I would as a Shark fan with a love for the Springboks play Nkosi instead of Mapimpi.

I love Mapimpi and I think he is super deadly on the attack but Nkosi is also deadly on the attack just slightly slower than Mapimpi but that is offset by being much better than Mapimpi on defence and being a devilish stepper.

Just to add to this. Mapimpi is an 11 while Nkosi is a 14, and they are great in that position alone. You can't just move a player from the one side to the other as their style of play suits their position. Just like the Habana and JP Pietersen era. Neither of them switched positions on the wing and their skillset matched their position.

There is really no point in comparing these 2 guys.

Just to add to this. Mapimpi is an 11 while Nkosi is a 14, and they are great in that position alone. You can't just move a player from the one side to the other as their style of play suits their position. Just like the Habana and JP Pietersen era. Neither of them switched positions on the wing and their skillset matched their position.

I'm aware of the winger's respective positions for Sharks

However what makes Mapimpi a more important player for the Boks than Nkosi is
his ability to cover both #11 + #14

Kolbe as well is able to play both wing spots as well as Full Back

This narrative Mapimpi has suddenly become a bad defender is horseshit and based on "2 game
sample"

He was at fault for New Zealand try in 2019 The Argentina try in Salta scored by Cordero
wasn't Mapimpi's fault After a line break there was a 3 vs 2 advantage for Pumas in 15m channel

Sanchez was forced to execute an excellent chip kick to the corner which he did
How this is Mapimpi's fault I have no idea

So we have this false narrative that Mapimpi is a bad defender based on 1 mistake in 1 game
I've watched many more games in which Mapimpi has been the best defensive winger in SA

I'm aware of the winger's respective positions for Sharks

However what makes Mapimpi a more important player for the Boks than Nkosi is
his ability to cover both #11 + #14

Kolbe as well is able to play both wing spots as well as Full Back

This narrative Mapimpi has suddenly become a bad defender is horseshit and based on "2 game
sample"

He was at fault for New Zealand try in 2019 The Argentina try in Salta scored by Cordero
wasn't Mapimpi's fault After a line break there was a 3 vs 2 advantage for Pumas in 15m channel

Sanchez was forced to execute an excellent chip kick to the corner which he did
How this is Mapimpi's fault I have no idea

So we have this false narrative that Mapimpi is a bad defender based on 1 mistake in 1 game
I've watched many more games in which Mapimpi has been the best defensive winger in SA

I did not even mention that incident, :D You are the one bringing it up.
Mapimpi has become much better with defending and catching the high ball.
But believe it or not but he was actually horseshit at defending in his Kings and Cheetahs days and probably the early Shark days too. But as I said I recognise he has gotten better at this. My specific point was not that Mapimpi bad, Nkosi good but rather that Nkosi is much better at defence than Mapimpi. So don't jump to conclusions.

In a world cup final, I would take defensive superiority over a slight edge in attacking prowess.

I did not even mention that incident, :D You are the one bringing it up.
Mapimpi has become much better with defending and catching the high ball.
But believe it or not but he was actually horseshit at defending in his Kings and Cheetahs days and probably the early Shark days too. But as I said I recognise he has gotten better at this. My specific point was not that Mapimpi bad, Nkosi good but rather that Nkosi is much better at defence than Mapimpi. So don't jump to conclusions.

In a world cup final, I would take defensive superiority over a slight edge in attacking prowess.

This.

But I rate them equally less effective than Kolbe.

Nkosi just seems to own it better when he's defending.

Can I just say how great it is that we can be having this discussion; which of 3 wingers (4 if you count Dyantyi and Hendricks looks good too coming back from injruy) are our best 2! I remember the days when we had to make do with cover 13s or 15s on the wing.

Can I just say how great it is that we can be having this discussion; which of 3 wingers (4 if you count Dyantyi and Hendricks looks good too coming back from injruy) are our best 2! I remember the days when we had to make do with cover 13s or 15s on the wing.

Not to burst your bubble. But we only sent 3 wingers... So the chance is very high that a 13 (Kriel) or a 15 (Le Roux/Gelant) will cover 15...

I think Stormer is just pointing out they are all quality vs a time when we had s#!t wingers across the board.

Strangely Nkosi in particular looks much better in a Springbok jersey, and for that matter so does Kolbe (as opposed to his province time).
Possible that stodgy tactics from the Stormers and Sharks to blame?

Where as for Elliot Daly is 13 which means he can cover 11 14 and 15.o_O.

Does anyone know of any means to watch/listen to this game if you don't reside in SA?

I know it's being shown on SuperSport, but are there any other ways? Help a Bok fan out please.

Latest posts