• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2015 RWC] Pool B: South Africa vs. Japan (19/09/2015)

Honestly, I don't see that many black players on the on the park. Mvovo, Habana and the Beast seemed to be the only starters, then the big prop that came on later in the game.. I might have missed someone, but the quota might cause a few players to miss out, but causing SA to lose to Japan is BS and not the problem.

Spot on. Politics and skin color had nothing to do with it. Poor selections, poor coaching. Even so, south Africa were not really that bad on the day, Japan were just amazing and took them by surprise.

BS, Jake white yes (probably in the top two or three) Clive you've got to be kidding me. That England team was great for about 2 years around 2003 thats it. IMO he aint done jack **** since then and a monkey could of coached that England team to win that WC in 2003 it was nothing special they had the right players at the right time thats it.

Ever since Eddie left the Wallabies they've been in utter disarray. Eddie may not have won it in 2003 (he was just beat by a better team) but he certainly had a hand in the boks win in 07 and now this.

What??? Jake white??? Jake white didnt win the wc for sa in 2007, eddie jones did, go look at the boks games pre world cup 2007... Terrible losses inly managing to score a few intercept tries. In steps eddie jones for a few months! Boom world champs. This guy is amazing!

Jake white disappears off the radar and goes to secretly study how to be a real coach off the back off what he stole from jones. Appears again gor the brumbies and gets them to the finals.

Damn. It feels like I must be attending a funeral this week. Honestly, I have had this pit in my throat and stomach all weekend.

I will be the first to say that I have underestimated the Japanese, and just like a ninja, they came from nowhere and caused the biggest upset in rugby history!!

Well done to them, I wish the big guns played with so much heart and tenacity. Eddie Jones is a bloody rugby genius!!

But I will continue to look at this in glass half-full, positive manner.

In the last 2 world cups, a team lost their pool match and still went to the final. England in 2007 and France in 2011.

The other thing is that if we finish second in our pool, we won't play against the All Blacks until the final (that is if we make it out of our pool of course).

Lastly, This is just what we needed for our team to get their asses in gear, they were hopelessly poor!

Damn. It feels like I must be attending a funeral this week. Honestly, I have had this pit in my throat and stomach all weekend.

I will be the first to say that I have underestimated the Japanese, and just like a ninja, they came from nowhere and caused the biggest upset in rugby history!!

Well done to them, I wish the big guns played with so much heart and tenacity. Eddie Jones is a bloody rugby genius!!

But I will continue to look at this in glass half-full, positive manner.

In the last 2 world cups, a team lost their pool match and still went to the final. England in 2007 and France in 2011.

The other thing is that if we finish second in our pool, we won't play against the All Blacks until the final (that is if we make it out of our pool of course).

Lastly, This is just what we needed for our team to get their asses in gear, they were hopelessly poor!

Well first south Africa need to beat samoa and Scotland. a big ask in their current state. And even if they do, there's no guarantee they will top the pool. And if they get out of their pool, aussies, English or Wales are waiting for them. I'll stop there because that's as far as they will get if they get there at all. But I think samoa and Scotland smell blood and at least one of them well beat the boks

Well first south Africa need to beat samoa and Scotland. a big ask in their current state. And even if they do, there's no guarantee they will top the pool. And if they get out of their pool, aussies, English or Wales are waiting for them. I'll stop there because that's as far as they will get if they get there at all. But I think samoa and Scotland smell blood and at least one of them well beat the boks

The Boks can beat all those teams if they're mentally focused and physically committed.

The Boks can beat all those teams if they're mentally focused and physically committed.

At the moment it's a big if. They are old, down on confidence, came into the world cup with a poor win record for the last 12 months. They are poorly coached and can't adapt to surprises. Talented yes absolutely but it's too late to turn the ship around. Whoever is strong enough to escape pool a will crush them.

The interior pass is forward in my perspective...

Mainly looks that way due to angle but it is close.

Yeah, I had a look on youtube, he takes a step forward before passing the ball which leaves him flat with the receiver. Camera angle is a little deceptive.

- - - Updated - - -

At the moment it's a big if. They are old, down on confidence, came into the world cup with a poor win record for the last 12 months. They are poorly coached and can't adapt to surprises. Talented yes absolutely but it's too late to turn the ship around. Whoever is strong enough to escape pool a will crush them.

This was said about '07 England and '11 France. Let's wait and see.

Personally id be going on the side of caution and saying Japan has probably awakened a sleeping giant. Because we both know thats more than likely the case.

Personally id be going on the side of caution and saying Japan has probably awakened a sleeping giant. Because we both know thats more than likely the case.

Me too, the Bok would still be favourites to win all of those remaining matches in their pool; as mentioned by someone else previously, they have two bonus points from this match, which may be crucial later on ... it's hard to see them not qualifying for the QF, but they'll probably have to play "win first" rugby from here on in.

Me too, the Bok would still be favourites to win all of those remaining matches in their pool; as mentioned by someone else previously, they have two bonus points from this match, which may be crucial later on ... it's hard to see them not qualifying for the QF, but they'll probably have to play "win first" rugby from here on in.

Yeah. Back to the tradition Springbok rugby style of play. And we can't rest our best players anymore.

Willie Le Roux, Fourie Du Preez, Handre Pollard, Duane Vermeulen and Eben Etzebeth should all start.

Can we just talk about the Adriaan Strauss sidestep for one minute?

It was gold.

Hi all

My first post here, what a time to do so....as a South African, I must congratulate Japan for an excellent game. Eddie Jones and his team handed out some lessons! I must admit I never thought the Springboks are such a hated team, reading some of the comments lol....maybe deserved, so I will leave that.

One thing that I picked up, was wondering if anybody else did? Jannie du Plessis went over the try line in a maul. The ref asked the tv ref to have a look, clearly asking for video on nr 3(Jannie). The tv ref showed video evidence of Bismark (nr 2) knocking the ball a few seconds after Jannie went over the line(so the wrong evidence, and wrong player)....they never checked the possible Jannie try.

I do not think we deserved to win, I think Schalk should've been sent off, so mistakes both ways. Do you guys still think the ref did good???

PS: Hope it's ok for me to do my first post here?

- - - Updated - - -

Last edited:
Hi all

My first post here, what a time to do so....as a South African, I must congratulate Japan for an excellent game. Eddie Jones and his team handed out some lessons! I must admit I never thought the Springboks are such a hated team, reading some of the comments lol....maybe deserved, so I will leave that.

I don't think they are mate. The internet just attracts a variety of interesting people. You should have read some of the rubbish in the New Zealand/Argentina match thread. Welcome to the forum :) I'd say if anything, most of us were wishing our own team took notice that any result is possible just about, and incredibly happy for Japan. But the Boks will be back. They have many strengths, talents and key combinations that haven't been unleashed yet.

Welcome, I personnaly think that Jerome Garces the referee had a shocker, it was quite one sided job in favour of Japan. I'm not denying that SA played badly and Japan played very well (very impressed witht eh Japanese forwards, did not think they would compete with SA pack) but still, I think the referee did a bad job overall on this match. Too much offside against SA, at the start of the game, it was looking like the referee was just looking at SA.

I do not think people hate SA but people loves exciting result like this one when it is not happening to their team.

Hi all

One thing that I picked up, was wondering if anybody else did? Jannie du Plessis went over the try line in a maul. The ref asked the tv ref to have a look, clearly asking for video on nr 3(Jannie). The tv ref showed video evidence of Bismark (nr 2) knocking the ball a few seconds after Jannie went over the line(so the wrong evidence, and wrong player)....they never checked the possible Jannie try.

I do not think we deserved to win, I think Schalk should've been sent off, so mistakes both ways. Do you guys still think the ref did good???

PS: Hope it's ok for me to do my first post here?

Hi Lourens!

Welkom by die Forum!!

Good first post! Yeah I picked that up too. The TMO only looked at the grounding by Bismarck, but not from Jannie... Though I don't think he was over tryline.

I don't think the referee was poor, although he did seem to have a problem to talk coherently in English with the TMO. Why they can't get a French TMO for a French referee, is beyond me...

With that said, I don't want to point the finger at the referee for our loss. Because I don't think he did that bad at all.

Can we just talk about the Adriaan Strauss sidestep for one minute?

It was gold.

Cant we talk about why Strauss doesnt start ahead of Bismark? Its madness imo. Its John Smitt (except its Bismark) all over gain I reckon.

Why they can't get a French TMO for a French referee, is beyond me...

This is not a bad point. Still Frenchy referees should be able now to speak and understand correctly english, even more Jerome Garces and Romain Poite that have quite some experience at international level. Romain Poite (he was referee of the Wales-URuguay game I think) is better than Jerome Garces at english though.

It is at your honour to not wanting to point out the referee job but I still think that Garces had a bad match.

Cant we talk about why Strauss doesnt start ahead of Bismark? Its madness imo. Its John Smitt (except its Bismark) all over gain I reckon.

Really??

Strauss had a very poor season with the Bulls in the Super Rugby. Whereas Bismarck did a rather good job at the Sharks.

When we played RC, Bismarck had 2 good opening games and then fell a bit flat in the last one. Strauss did look good though off the bench.

I would have rated Bizzy as perhaps the best hooker in the world - although I haven't always had the opportunity to watch him week in - week out. Is he still very good at getting turnovers? I remember that incredible hit he put on Dan Carter once. Such a shame he was sent off for it really.

Hi all

Were there many posts getting at the boks specifically? I don't remember them I think most neutrals just badly wanted Japan to do something special which is what you'd expect. If England were in a tight game with Uruguay I'd expect every other country to be supporting Uruguay willing them over the line.

Less SA hatred I think you'll find and more a Japan love in.

Latest posts