• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2015 RWC] Pool B: South Africa vs. Japan (19/09/2015)

The real irony is that the logic of picking a "safer", "experienced" squad is that you're supposed to be sacrificing flash for defense and stability.
I heard somewhere that this is the most amount of points that has ever been scored against us in a World Cup game, so much for JdV being the better defensive option over DdA, so much for Kirchner offering us more stability than the mercurial le Roux, what a dog show.
I'll admit I was complacent before the game, but clearly that same hubris that affected me dictated the strategy and attitudes of the players. Japan were smart and courageous, and we just tried to bully them in the most uninspired way possible.

I will support us every step of the way, and will continue to scream for us until we exit the world cup, but something clearly has to change. When we lost to NZ and Aus this year we encouraged ourselves by saying how close it was. When we lost to Argentina at home we called it a fluke, now we're all faced with the truth that we're just not a good side and it's a bitter pill to swallow.

I have to say though that we've played our best rugby this year against Aus and NZ, with Pollard, le Roux, DdA and Kriel as our attacking options. If we have any chance this year I believe it's with them.

I

I hear this a lot about a lot of fly halfs and it makes me chuckle, can someone please tell me a fly half who thrives being on the back foot? Its the forwards job to win the set piece and the breakdown so the half backs can execute the game plan. No fly half can do this is the pack isnt going forward. Lambie didnt look good yesterday but thats only because the SA pack was out thought and out fought by the Japanese one.

No Fly half thrives by being on the back foot, but what is important is how they react to being on the back foot. SA are rarely outgunned up front so I can see how it may have been a bit more of a shock to him. I felt he needed to change his tact, as the pressure seemed to make him run out of ideas and everything felt laboured and flat.

In fairness, the team as a whole needed to react to the situation and change the tactics, rather than rely on a forward game. But, as I said, I feel the pressure for change will make Lambie a victim of the defeat.

I

I hear this a lot about a lot of fly halfs and it makes me chuckle, can someone please tell me a fly half who thrives being on the back foot? Its the forwards job to win the set piece and the breakdown so the half backs can execute the game plan. No fly half can do this is the pack isnt going forward. Lambie didnt look good yesterday but thats only because the SA pack was out thought and out fought by the Japanese one.
I don't expect a 10 on the back foot to thrive, but at least change up the game. Look at Pollard, when he came on the pack wasn't better but SA looked so much more dangerous. He attacked the line tried different things. Lambie should've at least tried little chips and grubbers, when a team defends so hard kicks in behind with Mvovo and Habana would've caused some proper danger.

bHd01pG.gif

The interior pass is forward in my perspective...

Really shocked with the Springbok´s performance. The Management team and the players were over confident. Watched the game over You tube. I was trying to figure out who was wearing the No 7 jersey. Why was Peter Du TOIT playing flanker. Totally shocked.

Just wondering IF Japan beat Scotland when was the last time a 6N's team didn't automatically qualify for the next World Cup?

Just wondering IF Japan beat Scotland when was the last time a 6N's team didn't automatically qualify for the next World Cup?
Same could happen to Wales if they even have any players left by Fiji...

I don't think that's ever happened though.

The interior pass is forward in my perspective...
That was my first impression, but impossible to judge - the camera is deceptive. Remember Michalak v ABs in 2007? Bear in mind the fact the passer gets stopped by a tackle creates the impression the running receiver is in front.

A great move, a great day - and I was there! Atmosphere was extraordinary. The RWC was in desperate need of it. I read this morning and it almost brought me to tears - The Rising Sun There is no better nation to bestow such a victory on...

I was at a wedding and we only managed the first half. The poor bride's speech got ruined as everyone were checking score updates on their celphones and that moment the final whistle went.. priceless!

First off, what a fantastic RWC so faar! First the assured drama we are in with the pool of death and now this result! Wow!

I was ridiculed prior to kick off for saying we'll only win by between 10 to 20 points. Really didn't expect a loss. I mean, its not as if Garces, Eddie Jones etc weren't known factors for Meyer.. stunned despite expecting a close(ish) result.

Fantastic win for Japan. As good as Japan played I am still ****** at Meyer. You think the selections are rubbish and idiotic but assume the coach knows something from behind the scenes you don't so give him the benefit of the doubt but sorry, Heynecke, you deserve all the ridicule you are getting, every last captioned photo trending. I love how SA is responding to this. I crack up at each of the million jokes.

But maybe this is what we needed to pull Meyer out of his own.. comfort zone. Jean de Villiers needs to step down. He said he would if he wasn't up to scratch. Well, he isn't. Drop Pienaar, drop Kirchner, drop Matfield and drop Oosthuizen. Everyone bar Meyer knew these were poor choices. Admit you made mistakes. Pity we can't bring in those players you left that *should've* got in.

Two pools wide open. That fantastic for the tournament, fantastic for the lead up to 2019, fantastic for rugby and (hopefully) just what SA needed. I really hope Japan goes on to the QF.. even if it'd be at our expense but we can turn this around still I'm sure.

I was the same, I had belief in Meyer's conviction that he picked the right squad despite the questionable selections. I gave him the benefit of the doubt. That benefit has now run its course. No more dicking around, drop the has beens and passengers, and pick the players that put their hands up week in and week out in the S15 (to late for this comp).

You've got to wonder what the SA rugby fans would be saying if ol P Divvy was the coach...

Last edited:
Saffers will be fine, the ignominy of their defeat will galvanise them and Victor mayfield, who is slower than a wet week these days, will not trouble the the match 22 again.

Saffers will be fine, the ignominy of their defeat will galvanise them and Victor mayfield, who is slower than a wet week these days, will not trouble the the match 22 again.
I dunno - he questioned the ref, which showed leadership. Maybe he should be questioning the coach.

SA to top the pool, so they get to again with their plan.

Had penciled this game in as not worth staying up for. Utterly shocked when I heard and very glad I taped the whole game. What was really interesting was that south Africa were not that bad...they didn't seem to have a plan b for Japan and were not good enough. Can't wait for the Scotland game now. I really don't think south Africa will bounce back. They might make the quarters but will get axed by Aussies, English or Wales

Well done to Japan . They sniffed an opportunity and with unrivalled passion and belief went to the wall. Fantastic spirit.

On the other hand :-There is just too much wrong in SA rugby at the moment

To criticise coaches & players is natural but imho the root of the problem lies with discriminatory selection policies.
The problem is these politicised idiots running SA rugby are too arrogant and ignorant to realise the damage their policies are causing.
A sad day for SA rugby.

Politics?

How is selecting biltong politics?

How is playing a 1970s gameplan politics?

How is playing a lock as a loosie politics?

Please don't blame politics or the quota system for an incompetent coach. This team was never selected on merit but based on passed player performances. Jdv is a great guy and captain but his ability as a player is hell and gone. He is your captain and is forced to play, so maybe put him on wing? Matfield... Eish, fourie du preez... Eish, beast, jannie and Bismarck all overrated, is there no one else? Lood and schalk were sa's best players. Lood is a merit player, this guy is awesome but sa dont pick players on merrit. Look at elton jantjes, had an awesome s15 season, best flyhalf by far... But no he doest know the springbok stampkar way and his dad wasn't a bok so sorry.

So play 1970s predictable maul try rugby and keep scratching your head thinking why everyone else is moving forward and the mighty stampkar-boks r left behind.

Last edited:
Honestly, I don't see that many black players on the on the park. Mvovo, Habana and the Beast seemed to be the only starters, then the big prop that came on later in the game.. I might have missed someone, but the quota might cause a few players to miss out, but causing SA to lose to Japan is BS and not the problem.

Latest posts