• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2015 RWC] Pool B: South Africa vs. Japan (19/09/2015)

Just to add was yesterday proof if you just go down the crash ball route a well executed/drilled side will still bring you close and even beat you. Seriously SA just tried to steamroller Japan and it didn't work sure they had some success but not enough to pull away ever and Japan kept on coming despite technical having an inferior skill set.

I hope Brian Moore and even more so was watching the Japanese scrum. He was probably salivating over the proper hooking and quick ball. Exactly what the scrum is suppose to be like. SA struggled all match to cope with the speed of Japan getting the ball out and the extra space they had because of it worked wonders.

Excellent observation.

Just to add was yesterday proof if you just go down the crash ball route a well executed/drilled side will still bring you close and even beat you. Seriously SA just tried to steamroller Japan and it didn't work sure they had some success but not enough to pull away ever and Japan kept on coming despite technical having an inferior skill set.

I hope Brian Moore and even more so was watching the Japanese scrum. He was probably salivating over the proper hooking and quick ball. Exactly what the scrum is suppose to be like. SA struggled all match to cope with the speed of Japan getting the ball out and the extra space they had because of it worked wonders.

What was really pleasing was the way they backed themselves on the last penalty to win the scrum, thats a big call for any side playing SA. Steve Borthwick is obviously a decent forwards coach.....

What was really pleasing was the way they backed themselves on the last penalty to win the scrum, thats a big call for any side playing SA. Steve Borthwick is obviously a decent forwards coach.....
I think it's a question of do you back yourself, your on the verge of doing something quite special and you can go down in history books as the Japanese that drew against SA or the side that beat them? For a lesser side (and I mean no disrespect by saying that) taking the scalp of one the big boys is far greater victory than drawing. This match was a final for Japan (although now they'll be eyeing a possible QF berth) and was possibly the 'best' side they could hope to be playing this tournament. TBH considering their 100% scrum rate that match I'd have been a little disappointed had they not backed themselves. Especially considering they deserved a penalty try for the maul anyway. Not sure how that doesn't classify as stopping a clear try scoring opportunity.

It shows that if you pick conservative players like Kitchener and lambie then it makes it very easy for the other team. Looking back now Japan should have been put to the sword over the kicking, Kirchener really missed a trick by not running the ball back. Japan had IMO a very poor kick Chase, they kick the ball long and set up a good defensive line but the SA back three would have 20 meters or so too run into. But Zane just hoofed the ball back long for territory. If they had started Le Roux and Pillars I think they would've won. But just lateral passing side to side from Lambie ment that the Japanese just had to wait for a handling error from the Boks and then took their chances incredibly. Again the Japanese were more than worth their win, but SA should've gone for it.

"It's a rugby miracle"

The commentator summed it up. What can you say, outstanding, even legendary result. Great for Japanese rugby, Japan and the sport of rugby generally.

South Africa fans, don't lose hope just yet. In 2007, England lost 36-0 and made the final. In 2011, France lost to Tonga and made the final. It might just be what the Springboks need to switch them on for the rest of the tournament.

Last edited:
Absolutely, i wouldn't count this SA side out of a quarter, maybe still top the group. Mind my language but HM has to stop ****ing around though, play Pollard, De Allande, Le roux, etzebeth, + plus I'm going to say it but poor squad selection has added to this, if They had Reinach or even more so Faf De Klerk in the squad they would be able to implement different game plans, but they don't, bringing 3 pretty identical Scrum halfs is poor..

Last edited:
I feel a guy like Willie Le Roux really would have won this game.

Well, Scotland was lucky for not being drawn against Japan in the 1st game. But Scotland is now a difficult position. Scotland must beat Japan, of course, and RSA too?

Kirchner was rubbish why didn't le roux start?

Matfield is ancient and the boks have 2 oustanding young locks.

Burger isn't an 8 that can hang at top level anymore.

De villiers in for his leadership....that didn't work too well. He is powder puff now and got smashed by the japanese. Imagine when he is up against a toomua, nonu, roberts or burgess.

Great stuff from the Japanese though, the epitomy of a team effort with outstanding coaching behind them.

It shows that if you pick conservative players like Kitchener and lambie then it makes it very easy for the other team. Looking back now Japan should have been put to the sword over the kicking, Kirchener really missed a trick by not running the ball back. Japan had IMO a very poor kick Chase, they kick the ball long and set up a good defensive line but the SA back three would have 20 meters or so too run into. But Zane just hoofed the ball back long for territory. If they had started Le Roux and Pillars I think they would've won. But just lateral passing side to side from Lambie ment that the Japanese just had to wait for a handling error from the Boks and then took their chances incredibly. Again the Japanese were more than worth their win, but SA should've gone for it.

Agree with this completely. I really felt the Lambie struggled as he wasn't really expecting the intensity of the Japanese at the breakdown and the speed defensive line, which reduced his options and made him play very lateral. When the SA pack is going forward, Lambie is OK, but I feel he may have lost his place following this game. As others have said, the pressure is going to be on to make some changes in a number key positions following this game.

Kirchner was rubbish why didn't le roux start?

Matfield is ancient and the boks have 2 oustanding young locks.

Burger isn't an 8 that can hang at top level anymore.

De villiers in for his leadership....that didn't work too well. He is powder puff now and got smashed by the japanese. Imagine when he is up against a toomua, nonu, roberts or burgess.

Great stuff from the Japanese though, the epitomy of a team effort with outstanding coaching behind them.

I agree that South Africa have younger players (I mentioned that before the game too) who could perform better than some of these selections. Only reason I can think why a couple weren't included, like le Roux, is probably because they were penciled in to play other pool games instead? You try not to underestimate your opponents, but clearly that saying usually applies to an extent. Even the Japanese were stunned.

Agree with this completely. I really felt the Lambie struggled as he wasn't really expecting the intensity of the Japanese at the breakdown and the speed defensive line, which reduced his options and made him play very lateral. When the SA pack is going forward, Lambie is OK, but I feel he may have lost his place following this game. As others have said, the pressure is going to be on to make some changes in a number key positions following this game.
I

I hear this a lot about a lot of fly halfs and it makes me chuckle, can someone please tell me a fly half who thrives being on the back foot? Its the forwards job to win the set piece and the breakdown so the half backs can execute the game plan. No fly half can do this is the pack isnt going forward. Lambie didnt look good yesterday but thats only because the SA pack was out thought and out fought by the Japanese one.

I was at a wedding and we only managed the first half. The poor bride's speech got ruined as everyone were checking score updates on their celphones and that moment the final whistle went.. priceless!

First off, what a fantastic RWC so faar! First the assured drama we are in with the pool of death and now this result! Wow!

I was ridiculed prior to kick off for saying we'll only win by between 10 to 20 points. Really didn't expect a loss. I mean, its not as if Garces, Eddie Jones etc weren't known factors for Meyer.. stunned despite expecting a close(ish) result.

Fantastic win for Japan. As good as Japan played I am still ****** at Meyer. You think the selections are rubbish and idiotic but assume the coach knows something from behind the scenes you don't so give him the benefit of the doubt but sorry, Heynecke, you deserve all the ridicule you are getting, every last captioned photo trending. I love how SA is responding to this. I crack up at each of the million jokes.

But maybe this is what we needed to pull Meyer out of his own.. comfort zone. Jean de Villiers needs to step down. He said he would if he wasn't up to scratch. Well, he isn't. Drop Pienaar, drop Kirchner, drop Matfield and drop Oosthuizen. Everyone bar Meyer knew these were poor choices. Admit you made mistakes. Pity we can't bring in those players you left that *should've* got in.

Two pools wide open. That fantastic for the tournament, fantastic for the lead up to 2019, fantastic for rugby and (hopefully) just what SA needed. I really hope Japan goes on to the QF.. even if it'd be at our expense but we can turn this around still I'm sure.

Question: Why would have your wedding during a world cup match?

I've heard plenty of stories like that it's why I made sure we got married on a nothing weekend in the grand scheme of things.

Question: Why would have your wedding during a world cup match?

I've heard plenty of stories like that it's why I made sure we got married on a nothing weekend in the grand scheme of things.

I know, right! The poor girl probably shared Meyer's sentiments that this was a done deal and no-one would mind being missing.

Just back from the game and got to say it was one of the best atmospheres I've ever experienced at a game. By the end I didn't see a single bokke who wasn't clapping the Japanese and neatly the entire ground stayed behind to watch them.

I thought the Japanese tackling them low, consistently scrummaging how it should be done, and playing the ball wide reminded me of amateur rugby where they play the game "as it's supposed to be". The technical excellence which they did it all with provided the win.

bHd01pG.gif

Latest posts