• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2015 RWC] Pool B: South Africa vs. Japan (19/09/2015)

Hi all

My first post here, what a time to do so....as a South African, I must congratulate Japan for an excellent game. Eddie Jones and his team handed out some lessons! I must admit I never thought the Springboks are such a hated team, reading some of the comments lol....maybe deserved, so I will leave that.

One thing that I picked up, was wondering if anybody else did? Jannie du Plessis went over the try line in a maul. The ref asked the tv ref to have a look, clearly asking for video on nr 3(Jannie). The tv ref showed video evidence of Bismark (nr 2) knocking the ball a few seconds after Jannie went over the line(so the wrong evidence, and wrong player)....they never checked the possible Jannie try.

I do not think we deserved to win, I think Schalk should've been sent off, so mistakes both ways. Do you guys still think the ref did good???

PS: Hope it's ok for me to do my first post here?

He did ask about the first attempt at a try when initially going to the TMO. TMO didn't go to it though. However if Jannie was recycling the ball (by squeeze ball I think) and NO appeal, not even from the captain then clearly he knew no try.

I would have rated Bizzy as perhaps the best hooker in the world - although I haven't always had the opportunity to watch him week in - week out. Is he still very good at getting turnovers? I remember that incredible hit he put on Dan Carter once. Such a shame he was sent off for it really.

Bismarck did a good job throughout the rugby championship of winning turnover ball at the breakdown however imo loosie Brussow is better at this aspect. He however was not selected to the rwc squad.

I still think the back line should be
9.Du Preez 10. Pollard 11.Habana 12.Sefontain 13.De Allande 14.Le Roux 15.Kriel

Brings youth and experience, very balanced, keeps players like Kriel getting a lots of ball in hand, Le Roux loves to slip in at first receiver off the wing, solid balance in midfield.
I know De Villiers has leadership, but I think that in its self isn't enough to warrant his need..
I know the backline I've mentioned won't get picked but IMO it's the right one..

Brings youth and experience, very balanced, keeps players like Kriel getting a lots of ball in hand, Le Roux loves to slip in at first receiver off the wing, solid balance in midfield.
I know De Villiers has leadership, but I think that in its self isn't enough to warrant his need..
I know the backline I've mentioned won't get picked but IMO it's the right one..

Serfontaine isn't even in the RWC SA squad.

Japan are now the hottest property in International rugby.
Their fearless attacking style makes them uber watch worthy.
Brilliant for rugby.
A magnificent boost for the tournament. The world is talking about rugby now.
These guys have been my 'guilty pleasure' for years and years. They buzz around the park at 90 miles an hour and they have been decades in the improving little aspects of what they do.
It's no coincidence they played the way they did and pulled off the biggest upset in the history of rugby.

Well that's bs.. Only bringing one 12 is silly, I know De Allande plays it but his pace serves him better at 13..
De Allende is an out an out 12 in my opinion. He's only played 13 a handful of times and when he has he hasn't looked great. DdA is about raw power and distribution, he does have pace but it's not the primary skill in his arsenal. Serfontein has been out of form, and is more one dimensional at the moment, for now DdA is better player in my eyes.

To be fair I am a Stormers supporter :p .

Damn. It feels like I must be attending a funeral this week. Honestly, I have had this pit in my throat and stomach all weekend.

I will be the first to say that I have underestimated the Japanese, and just like a ninja, they came from nowhere and caused the biggest upset in rugby history!!

Well done to them, I wish the big guns played with so much heart and tenacity. Eddie Jones is a bloody rugby genius!!

But I will continue to look at this in glass half-full, positive manner.

In the last 2 world cups, a team lost their pool match and still went to the final. England in 2007 and France in 2011.

The other thing is that if we finish second in our pool, we won't play against the All Blacks until the final (that is if we make it out of our pool of course).

Lastly, This is just what we needed for our team to get their asses in gear, they were hopelessly poor!

Keep the old pecker up my boy! At the end of the day it is only a game and you have much more serious stuff in you life to enjoy/worry about and that is called family!!

@ Heineken; what makes you think the All Blacks are going to make the final?
We've only made the final 3 times out of 7 and only won it twice.
History will tell us that the All Blacks will not make the final.

History this, history that, it means nothing... History is constantly unfoilding. Is this match not enough proof?

Wait, am I covertly supporting the All Blacks? Sh*t

If only Zane could spot a gap like that when he has the ball in hand. Maybe he thought the boks were on attack:huh:.

bHd01pG.gif

New around here. Congratulations Japan! Still feel sick to my stomach after watching this. Think Doc Craven turned in his grave.

Last edited:
Christ dont get me started on zane. For me he is the biggest mystery selection for the boks... The amount of times iv watched this guy do his best impression of a headless chicken in defence, under high balls in attack defies belief. And yet they still select him.....

I mean look at the gif above... What in the hell was he trying to achieve there??

- - - Updated - - -

Really??

Strauss had a very poor season with the Bulls in the Super Rugby. Whereas Bismarck did a rather good job at the Sharks.

When we played RC, Bismarck had 2 good opening games and then fell a bit flat in the last one. Strauss did look good though off the bench.

Yeah really, Strauss for me has been stiffled by them selecting Bismark ahead of him constantly when its been clear for all to see for the last two years that Bismark has been and still is off the pace.

I see people (not sure if it was this thread or the other) still claiming he's the best hooker in the world well he was like two or four years ago. What absolute rubbish. Creevy is miles ahead of any hooker in the game right now.

Caption guesses for what's said to Jannie after the Japan game:

dt83MiY.gif

"Ice cream?"

Expecting SA to bounce back, think Japan will have made them angry. SA now out at 10/1 to win it, worth a double bet somewhere.

You would reconsider that choice, if you saw how out of form Jan Serfontein is at the moment. He's playing Currie Cup, but he has been a shambles for the Blue Bulls. His injury came at the worst time for him as I don't think he will be called up if a centre gets injured. My guess would be that Frans Steyn would be next in line.

I've never been convinced about Kirchner.
Le Roux everytime.

- - - Updated - - -

Bismarck did a good job throughout the rugby championship of winning turnover ball at the breakdown however imo loosie Brussow is better at this aspect. He however was not selected to the rwc squad.

I still don't get that, Broussow was the obvious choice, no sniffer, no competing at the breakdown.

I've never been convinced about Kirchner.
Le Roux everytime.

- - - Updated - - -

I still don't get that, Broussow was the obvious choice, no sniffer, no competing at the breakdown.

Quotas. Brussow would be better than Kolisi if he was blind and deaf. So is Jaco Kriel. Ridiculous considering he's covering Francois Louw. Absolute disgrace to deprive the Boks of their best team.

Before the World Cup I said to a mate 'if I was South Africa I would be mixing the team around in the group games and try to get a 2nd place result as 2nd would be better in the scheme of things'. Now I'm not saying that South Africa purposely went out against japan to loose but perhaps something to think about.

Finishing 2nd would put South Africa on the easier side of the knockout rounds, they potentially would miss England or Australia or Wales and the all blacks until the final.

I think SA opening game loss to japan May work in their favour

Last edited:

Latest posts