• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2015 RWC] Pool B: South Africa vs. USA (07/10/2015)

TRF_heineken

RIP #J9
Staff member
TRF Legend
Country Flag
South Africa
Club or Nation
South Africa
vTRhZ65.png

South%20Africa.png
Versus%20Telstra.png
United%20States.png

The Stadium, Queen Elizabeth Olympic Park, London (07/10/2015, 16:30)
Pool B, Round 4

Referee: Pascal Gaüzère
23px-Flag_of_France.svg.png

Teams

South Africa: 1-Beast Mtawarira, 2-Bismarck Du Plessis, 3-Frans Malherbe, 4-Eben Etzebeth, 5-Lood De Jager, 6-Francois Louw, 7-Schalk Burger, 8-Duane Vermeulen, 9-Fourie Du Preez (c), 10-Handre Pollard, 11-Lwazi Mvovo, 12-Damien De Allende, 13-Jesse Kriel, 14-Bryan Habana, 15-Willie Le Roux

Substitutes: 16-Schalk Brits, 17-Coenie Oosthuizen, 18- Trevor Nyakane, 19-Pieter Steph Du Toit, 20-Willem Alberts, 21-Rudy Paige, 22-Morne Steyn, 23-Jan Serfontein

USA: 1-Oli Kilifi, 2-Phil Thiel, 3-Chris Baumann, 4-Louis Stanfill, 5-Matthew Trouville, 6-Danny Barrett, 7-John Quill, 8-Samu Manoa (captain), 9-Niku Kruger, 10-Shalom Suniula, 11-Zach test, 12-Andrew Suniula, 13-Folau Niua, 14-Brett Thompson, 15-Blaine Scully

Replacements: 16-Joe Taufetee, 17-Zach Fenoglio, 18-Mate Moeakiola, 19-***i Lamositele, 20-Cam Dolan, 21-Al McFarland, 22-Mike Petri, 23-Chris Wyles

Last edited:
Can't really comment until we see a team sheet but I suspect we will won't play our starting 15, but it won't be a complete swap either. I think we'll see Serfontein, PsdT and Malherbe start, possibly Lambie as well.
This will also be the only chance to see Steyn, or Paige get a run. I don't think we'll see a complete new team however or we risk another Japan.

Pointless to comment until we see a team sheet, yeah. Too many factors to consider to really have a go at predicting a line-up; it depends on who are still carrying ****les, who Meyer sees as going forward and trying to get those combinations another chance to click vs resting players who might have a big work load ahead (or behind them) with the fact that you don't want players who might be needed in the future having a cold start?

After the start we had, I would not take ANY chances. if the best player in a position is fit to play, play him.

After the start we had, I would not take ANY chances. if the best player in a position is fit to play, play him.
To be fair the US are resting a few players in order to try and beat Japan: http://www.rugby365.com/tournaments/world-cup/69202-tolkin-shuffles-team-for-boks
Also I know this logic doesn't work in rugby, but Samoa beat the US and so did Scotland and we beat them both quite comfortably so...

Our second team should be able to do the job, and having players like Alberts, Serfontein, PsdT and Malherbe playing well will serve us well in the knock-out stages. We have to have the bare minimum players in reserve who can do the job for us, otherwise we will lose in the last 20 minutes against better sides.

Second team must do the job, as they are part of the selection to win the World Cup.

Jannie Du Plessis and JPP are the only injury concerns we have.

That would mean Frans Malherbe and probably Lwazi Mvovo will get starts. We have 10 days after this game before our next game, so we might as well start our best team as they will have enough time to recover. The question is how they are feeling after Saturday's game.

I think Willem Alberts must get a start... Maybe also put Rudy Paige on the bench, give him his debut and let's see if he's better than Pienaar.

I imagine we'll see a decisive win from SA - but I'd have gone nuts to see Ngwenya beat Habana on the outside again!

To be fair the US are resting a few players in order to try and beat Japan: http://www.rugby365.com/tournaments/world-cup/69202-tolkin-shuffles-team-for-boks
Also I know this logic doesn't work in rugby, but Samoa beat the US and so did Scotland and we beat them both quite comfortably so...

Our second team should be able to do the job, and having players like Alberts, Serfontein, PsdT and Malherbe playing well will serve us well in the knock-out stages. We have to have the bare minimum players in reserve who can do the job for us, otherwise we will lose in the last 20 minutes against better sides.

Second team must do the job, as they are part of the selection to win the World Cup.
Pienaar, Kirchner, Paige, Matfield, Oosthuizen...

As long as its not any of those, please!!

Pienaar, Kirchner, Paige, Matfield, Oosthuizen...

As long as its not any of those, please!!

I think we are going to see all of them or at least 4 out of the 5 you mentioned. I think Pienaar is going to open with Paige coming on second half.

My pick for Wednesday

15. Zane Kirchner, 14. Willie Le Roux, 13. Jesse Kriel 12. Jan Serfontein 11. Lwazi Mvovo 10. Patrick Lambie 9. Ruan Pienaar 8. Duane Vermeulen 7. Willem Alberts 6. Siya Kolisi 5. Victor Matfield 4. Pieter Steph du Toit 3. Frans Malberbe 2. Schalk Brits 1. Trevor Nykane

- - - Updated - - -

USA have made 12 changes, Ngwenya not playing.

http://www.supersport.com/rugby/rug...005/US_make_wholesales_changes_for_Boks_clash

Team: 1-Oli Kilifi, 2-Phil Thiel, 3-Chris Baumann, 4-Louis Stanfill, 5-Matthew Trouville, 6-Danny Barrett, 7-John Quill, 8-Samu Manoa (captain), 9-Niku Kruger, 10-Shalom Suniula, 11-Zach test, 12-Andrew Suniula, 13-Folau Niua, 14-Brett Thompson, 15-Blaine Scully
Replacements: 16-Joe Taufetee, 17-Zach Fenoglio, 18-Mate Moeakiola, 19-***i Lamositele, 20-Cam Dolan, 21-Al McFarland, 22-Mike Petri, 23-Chris Wyles

Last edited:
Even Matfield?

I have Matfield behind our other 3 locks and would've prefered we spent the last 4 years looking at younger options that might've served us longer.

I think we are going to see all of them or at least 4 out of the 5 you mentioned. I think Pienaar is going to open with Paige coming on second half.
I think you're probably right. I hope not all 5 though, goodness! I could maybe live with 3. I'd prefer Kriel and De Allende to get as much time together as possible. Hopefully
we don't see a totally rejigged team. My own preferences :

1 Nyakane give Beast a rest, he deserves an extended one.
2 If they are fit and 100% start Strauss and Bismarck off the bench. I rate Brits but with Strauss and Bismarck having swapped around both should be able to keep up here. I mean, we have 10 days towards the QF and you don't want these guys getting cold.
3 Malherbe- deserved to start beforehand in any case. Give Jannie a break as he is carrying ****le and isn't looking as sharp as he did in the first two matches of the RC.
4 De Jager - Etzebeth on the bench. De Jager is looking good, why take him off? He had the Japan game 1/2 off and again, we have 10 days towards the QF and you don't want the key players going in cold.
5 PSdT - give the man a shot in the position he is favoring
6 Kolisi because Louw doesn't look 100% and has been carrying a lot of responsibility. He is another that could possibly do with 2 weeks off.
7 Alberts because teh man needs game time
8 Vermeulen - see Alberts, he needs to get match fit
9 Paige - because he isn't Pienaar and FdP is our key man and we don't want to risk him
10 Steyn - why not? If we're not going to play FdP I see little benefit in fielding Pollard as the other half of our 1st choice halves.
11 Habana - he wants the tries! Give it to him.
12 De Allende - he is a beast and doesn't need rest especially since he wasn't picked for vs Japan
13 Kriel - has been on and off already so can do with the game time and chance to rekindle his form and partnership with DDA.
14 Mvovo -seeing as JPP is injured? If JPP is fine then play the man- he is in finding form after long time out so let him continue to do so and maybe even push for top try scorer.
15 Le Roux - because he needs it. Also sat out vs Japan so why again?

16 Bismarck/Strauss/Brits little between them
17 little matter.
18 "
19 Etzebeth or Matfield but give the starters time
20 Burger
21 FdP but let
22 Pat Lambie to cover 10 and 15
23 Serfontein to have a stretch of the legs

I'm not too familiar with the USA team, can anyone comment on it's strength?

I watched the South Africa v Scotland game at St James and was waiting for the England to start in the Shark bar when Todd Clever walked in...new Falcons signing and former USA captain. He was just on his own so I asked him to join me and my mates. He stayed and watched the match with us. Nice guy....and the women were like magnets ha ha.

Great guy and he had quite a bit to say about the US team. Really wasn't happy with the current Head Coach.

The Boks can rest for 10 days before the QF, so wouldn't they want to get some key players into the match to keep them sharp? Maybe 20 min or so off the bench?

The USA squad is definitely playing their 2nd team to keep fresh for Japan, and with little depth in the squad in the front row I expect the Boks to absolutely dominate the scrum... could see some USA props in the bin for repeat offenses, which has been common in recent years. The Eagles have shot themselves in the foot with loads of errors in the first 2 matches but if they keep their heads and play hard they might be able to keep the match from getting too out of control, but the Boks should easily get the bonus point win... with the bonus point likely by the half.

No, not at all optimistic from the Eagles' side, but seeing how the USA has played sloppy, disorganized matches is such a stark contrast with the well-drilled and sharp Japanese squad I have no reason to think the Boks should worry about the USA ending up being another Japan.

Springbok team vs USA

Springboks: Willie le Roux, Bryan Habana, Jesse Kriel, Damian De Allende, Lwazi Mvovo, Handré Pollard, Fourie du Preez (captain), Duane Vermeulen, Schalk Burger, Francois Louw, Lood de Jager, Eben Etzebeth, Frans Malherbe, Bismarck du Plessis, Tendai Mtawarira.

Replacements: Schalk Brits, Trevor Nyakane, Coenie Oosthuizen, Pieter-Steph du Toit, Willem Alberts, Rudy Paige, Morné Steyn, Jan Serfontein.

http://www.supersport.com/rugby/springboks/news/151005/Meyer_sticks_to_his_big_guns

- - - Updated - - -

So Meyer goes for continuity. Would've liked to see Lambie in the mix. He has BMT, and needs to be playing. Can't believe he doesn't pick Lambie on a regular basis.