• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2015 RWC] Pool B: Scotland vs. USA (27/09/2015)

TRF_heineken

RIP #J9
Staff member
TRF Legend
Country Flag
South Africa
Club or Nation
South Africa
vTRhZ65.png

Scotland.png
Versus%20Telstra.png
United%20States.png

Elland Road, Leeds (27/09/2015, 14:30)
Pool B. Round 2

Referee: Chris Pollock
23px-Flag_of_New_Zealand.svg.png

I hope Scotland has been lulled into complacency by the Eagles' error-filled performance against Samoa; also hoping that all of those 2nd half tries against Japan have tired them out :) Haven't seen the Eagles' roster yet, but I hope Thiel and Dolan get starts... the former should improve the lineout (which was awful against Samoa) and the latter should help in multiple ways, including the lineout and ball carrying. But I think Dolan's too small to play lock against Scotland, so maybe at 6 or 8. The USA scrum is precarious enough that I'd like to see Manoa at lock -- we just need to get the ball out as soon as possible when we have the put-in so I don't think #8 will have much of a role in ball carrying from the scrum (as was the case vs Samoa); Manoa is massive and strong enough to solidify the tight 5 and make room for another good ball carrier in the back row, be it Dolan or Barrett.

Not sure when the Scottish team will be announced for the Sunday match v USA Eagles .Wonder whether VC will rest a number of the team who played against Japan . Have a feeling Maitland may start at full back to rest Hogg and Weir and Pyrgos at half back . Horne in for Scott and in the pack could see changes in the front row with Brown at hooker with Grant and Welsh propping . Swinson at lock and Straus at number 8 . Conjecture !

Scotland 32-13, too much quality, Bennett, Denton and Hardie are great and Laidlaw will put he Yanks out off the match. They will sneak a BP try.

Scotland 32-13, too much quality, Bennett, Denton and Hardie are great and Laidlaw will put he Yanks out off the match. They will sneak a BP try.

Sneak? We'll do it with panache, elan and flair. I'm not so sure Big Vern will make many changes. I'd quite like to see Swinson start. I don't think his size will be an issue, given his ability to get about the park. Horne's probably another good call, but with Finn on the bench in case of injuries or other mishaps. Welshy has to get a start sometime. Now's as good a time as any. I don't usually do this, but I'm at a loose end, so here's my favoured squad.

15. Maitland. Solid enough and has pace.
14. Seymour. I expect him to do a fair bit of damage.
13. Bennett. Too important to leave out.
12. Horne. Fits right into the game plan
11. Lamont. It's like having another flanker
10. Weir. Jinky, short and distinctly flaky. Should keep them (and us) guessing
9. Pyrgos(C) The brains of the outfit

1. Dickinson. Great technical scrummager and brings a lot of about-the-field talent to the party
2. Brown. Certainly worth a punt.
3. Welsh. Big bugger. Also hungry bugger.
4. Swinson. Coupled with Gray Jr., a very mobile lock partnership
5. Gray Jr. See above
6. Strauss. He has a fantastic beard
7. Hardie. Very hardie to leave out. (see what I did there?)
8. Wilson. Will feel he has something to prove after the other day.

16. McInally. Provides cover both at hooker and back row.
17. Nel. Ate all the pies
18. Reid. Similar in some ways to Dickinson, but eve quicker around the paddock. Thinks he's a winger. What could go wrong?
19. Gilchrist. Couldn't have two shockers, could he?
20. Denton. fresh pair of legs should anyone tire.
21. SHC. I can't imagine this squad can't do without Laidlaw for just one game.
22. Finn. Just in case...
23. Hoggy. See above...

The team's out:

15 Stuart Hogg (Glasgow Warriors) – 34 caps; 9 tries, 1 pen, 48 points

14 Sean Maitland (London Irish) – 17 caps; 2 tries, 10 points
13 Mark Bennett (Glasgow Warriors) – 10 caps; 5 tries, 25 points
12 Peter Horne (Glasgow Warriors) – 11 caps, 1 try, 1 con, 1 pen, 10 points
11 Tim Visser (Harlequins) – 21 caps; 9 tries, 45 points

10 Finn Russell (Glasgow Warriors) – 12 caps; 2 tries, 2 cons, 14 points
9 Henry Pyrgos (Glasgow Warriors) CAPTAIN – 16 caps; 4 tries, 20 points

1 Ryan Grant (Glasgow Warriors) – 24 caps
2 Fraser Brown (Glasgow Warriors) – 11 caps
3 Jon Welsh (Newcastle Falcons) – 8 caps, 1 try, 5 points
4 Richie Gray (Castres) – 47 caps, 2 tries, 10 points
5 Grant Gilchrist (Edinburgh Rugby) – 11 caps, 1 try, 5 points
6 Alasdair Strokosch (Perpignan) – 46 caps, 2 tries, 10 points
7 John Hardie (unattached) – 3 caps, 1 try, 5 points
8 Josh Strauss (Glasgow Warriors) – 1 cap

Substitutes
16 Ross Ford (Edinburgh Rugby) – 90 caps; 2 tries, 10 points
17 Alasdair Dickinson (Edinburgh Rugby) – 48 caps, 2 tries, 10 points
18 Willem Nel (Edinburgh Rugby) – 4 caps
19 Tim Swinson (Glasgow Warriors) – 13 caps
20 Ryan Wilson (Glasgow Warriors) – 12 caps
21 Greig Laidlaw (Gloucester) – 42 caps; 3 tries, 48 cons, 92 pens, 387 points
22 Duncan Weir (Glasgow Warriors) – 19 caps, 1 try, 6 cons, 9 pens, 1 drop, 47 points
23 Matt Scott (Edinburgh Rugby) – 30 caps, 3 tries, 15 points

- - - Updated - - -

Oh well, I got the centres and front row right. Almost.

The US will score tries because of Scottish Fatigue, however the Scottish bench will carry them to a bonus point victory - reckon 32 - 19.

Glad to see Peter Horne at centre . Very talented guy who knows Bennett's game from Warrior's partnership 5 out of 8 subs are forwards so one can see a wee bit of the mind set of the inscrutable Vern !

Glad to see Horne start the game as I'm a huge fan. I also believe this is a game Scotland have to target for a bonus point win given how open the group has become with Japan's win over SA. I hate to even write such a sentence as it smacks of an arrogance that we can't really yet justify but it's just too much of an opportunity for Scotland to pass up.

USA v Samoa was a dire game to watch. USA will try to keep it in the forwards and it might
be a turgid affair unless Scotland can break the shackles early.
They have the players to do this and it would open the game up nicely. A big win for Scotland in those
circumstances. Otherwise, Scotland have been nervous starters in recent games, so they need some precision.

Hardie out after head knock and replaced by Ryan Wilson . Good looking Scot's line up - trust we don't ease off .

Zee has put some weight on but what a hit!! Tackle might be pushing it!!!

I only started watching about 10 min ago but the Scots have squandered more chances in that time than England created all game last night!!!

Impressed by the USA. You can sense all the forwards are putting all they have into it. I like the back play when they get on foot, much like the Canadian 10 yesterday, MacGinty looks comfortable when looking to spread the game.

Scotland poor, being bossed in the forwards and backs keep making a hash of things

This was great thread until your stupid trolling! Shove off!
whatevr, how is that troll, im watchin the game, and twice ref was real nice to the scotts when usa could have very well got the penalty.
Anyway, 1 message out of 2 are insults here, i dont care.

Latest posts