• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2015 RWC] Pool D: Ireland vs. Romania (27/09/2015)

Don't know why Keith Wood is not happy? Apart from a few handling errors we've gone sound. Gameplan is clearly wear them out

He's a perfectionist, he's rarely going to be happy particularly with these matches where there's always the sense that we could be better.

- - - Updated - - -

It's all Ireland but they're not clinical enough. The lack of pace and penetration in midfield will cost Ireland later in the tournament. Back three look good.

2/3 of the three quarters will be different later in the tournament so this hardly has any baring on that, Sexton sees gaps that Madigan just can't

He's a perfectionist, he's rarely going to be happy particularly with these matches where there's always the sense that we could be better.

All minnows defend better at this world cup, especially in the first half. I expect Ireland to run away with it halfway through the second half.

All minnows defend better at this world cup, especially in the first half. I expect Ireland to run away with it halfway through the second half.

Completely agree about minnows defending better, just trying to show Wood's point of view.

2/3 of the three quarters will be different later in the tournament so this hardly has any baring on that, Sexton sees gaps that Madigan just can't
It was the same against Canada, in the 6 Nations and last November. Sexton's not the problem nor is Madigan, it's the combination in the centre. Henshaw and Payne are bruisers without much vision. Cave and Fitzgerald lack physicality. It's by some distance Ireland's weakest area.

Ridiculous from Healy and the chase.

Great spot and execution from Reddan.

Romania gets away with quite some stuff.

Correction: yellow

Last edited:
Decent impact subs to bring on there.

- - - Updated - - -

Nicely worked, lovely ball from Jackson.

- - - Updated - - -

I love Jackson's distribution. Wonderfully executed from everyone.

It was the same against Canada, in the 6 Nations and last November. Sexton's not the problem nor is Madigan, it's the combination in the centre. Henshaw and Payne are bruisers without much vision. Cave and Fitzgerald lack physicality. It's by some distance Ireland's weakest area.

I can't argue with that assessment based on what we've seen in an Ireland jersey to date, but I think everyone who saw Payne at full-back for Ulster just bruised their eyebrows on the ceiling. A shame that none of that (or his kicking) can be brought out at centre so far, a huge one edit: and I don't think that's all Payne's fault. Both Cave and Payne would look a lot better with people tracking their runs - and I daresay that's true for Henshaw and Fitzgerald too, just I don't watch them as closely.

Last edited:
As long as Kearney is ok I'm very happy with that. All eyes on the Italy match now.

Let that be a lesson. Nobody scores Romania 44 points and gets away with it :D
:eek: Lesson learned. Rom did a good job in defence, especially at the maul.

Bit disappointing from Ireland. Some nice tries out wide, but little penetration in midfield and in the first half 3 lineout mauls in a row were messed up. And the range of offence was limited. Under-commitment at the ruck was fixed in second half. Maybe the squad isn't all in step - today should have been a mini-me of the full strength team, with precision in the maul and a decent understanding between the inside backs. Again, Payne is a worry - although he had some good turnover in second half. Zebo's little dink was almost a carbon copy of a try he scored in the Heineken a few years ago, so huge attacking quality in the back three for the rest of the tournament.

Overall, Ireland got what they needed, fixed a couple of misfiring cylinders, but failed to strike the fear of god.

I can't argue with that assessment based on what we've seen in an Ireland jersey to date, but I think everyone who saw Payne at full-back for Ulster just bruised their eyebrows on the ceiling.
Payne is a very good fullback but on what he's shown thus far, a decidedly average attacking centre.

Tommy Bowe and Devin Toner put their hands up for selection today after the disappointment of being dropped last week. Scrum noticeably disimproved when Tadhg Furlong replaced Nathan White. Darren Cave looked a lot better at outside centre than he did at 12. Cian Healy put in a good shift for 45 minutes upon when he started blowing hard. The 55 minutes he got will serve him well.

Rom scrum half replacement proposes to girl friend post-match:

CP7aOW2U8AA_Lg2.jpg

"I'm hot and sweaty, and my beard is caked with the snot of other men. Will you marry me?"

Not arguing with that - but clearly Payne has some creativity there somewhere.
When he has space as a fullback, yes he has creativity. When he has no space in traffic in the centre he either kicks the ball away or bashes it up. I'm not saying I'd drop him because he's a strong defender and clearly Ireland's best option at 13. I'm saying that if a team aspires to win the World Cup, they need a better option at that position. Hopefully I'm wrong!

all the celtic nations are looking good ,this is the year of the celts

Rom scrum half replacement proposes to girl friend post-match:

CP7aOW2U8AA_Lg2.jpg

"I'm hot and sweaty, and my beard is caked with the snot of other men. Will you marry me?"

Cute and sweaty :D

I have not watched the match, looks like Ireland did a little better than France on the scoreboard, the half time score was kind of the same if I'm not wrong, does not help for the decider to come between France an Ireland...Maybe the Italy-Ireland game will tell a bit more.

Latest posts