• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2015 RWC] Pool D: Ireland vs. Romania (27/09/2015)

Cute and sweaty :D

I have not watched the match, looks like Ireland did a little better than France on the scoreboard, the half time score was kind of the same if I'm not wrong, does not help for the decider to come between France an Ireland...Maybe the Italy-Ireland game will tell a bit more.

That Ireland had a slightly larger easier win playing them off such short rest and rotation away from their top side was very much expected.

Think people are forgetting that was supposedly our second choice 15 (more or less). 6 tries, a bonus point and a solid defence (apart from the last 5 mins) - a pretty good day I would say. I think there's still a bit of holding back too.
I think Schmidt will choose Bowe over Kearney against Italy. Not because he's better, but because he needs one more game to prove he can be consistent.
Payne had a bad game today but he's been excellent otherwise. It'll be Henshaw and Payne starting on Sunday.
Keith Earls is going so well. So nice to see him not getting too badly injured.
Healy definitely won't start against Italy or France. He didn't let himself down but he'll be unreal to have coming off the bench against France.

I gonna name drop this ****. Earlsy is fine as got snapchat off Zebo of the 2 lads in the dressing room and he looks fine. Will be interesting for Schmidt now as in my opinion Schmidt has been left with more selection headaches.
Earls or Zebo
Kearney or Bowe
The centre partnership. Paynes kicking has been desperate and his decision making is being exposed a bit more at 13 as there's less space and time.
The 23 shirt
Toner or Henderson
The LH prop scenario. I thought Healy was ok but nowhere near the same level as impact sub lately. He's still coming back so it's interesting.
The 20 shirt. Murphy showed well the 2nd half and Henry was dogged all the way through.

It's a great place to be where every man is scrapping hard for a spot.

Think people are forgetting that was supposedly our second choice 15 (more or less). 6 tries, a bonus point and a solid defence (apart from the last 5 mins) - a pretty good day I would say. I think there's still a bit of holding back too.

No one is forgetting that, but Romania played 4 days ago and with most of the same players as today. Ireland just did the job they were supposed to do, not much to be excited about.

Nevertheless, this match is meaningless, only Italy and France will tell us where exactly Ireland is in the big picture.

When he has space as a fullback, yes he has creativity. When he has no space in traffic in the centre he either kicks the ball away or bashes it up. I'm not saying I'd drop him because he's a strong defender and clearly Ireland's best option at 13. I'm saying that if a team aspires to win the World Cup, they need a better option at that position. Hopefully I'm wrong!

Yeah, but how often do Ireland create space for the outside backs? When he makes a half-break and is looking for an offload, who's there? If you're not going to create space for the centres and you're not going to play off of them, is it a surprise when they just bash it up?

I fully agree that Payne's been a big disappointment at centre (I don't want the IRFU to renew his contract at Ulster), but it's not entirely his or any other centre's fault. They're playing in a pretty conservative team with not a lot of go-forwards in the pack, that's my take. They're part of the problem not the whole problem.

I think if I was Schmidt I'd be crossing my fingers for McCloskey to produce the goods by 6N time. A team with all three forward power carriers fit and McCloskey would have very little excuses for not getting some good ball.

Payne had a bad game today but he's been excellent otherwise. It'll be Henshaw and Payne starting on Sunday.
Sharp intake of breath. Payne was a disaster against Canada - and same today in first half. Always thought Bowe was the natural replacement for BOD, but I'm the only person in the universe who agrees.

Last edited:
I gonna name drop this ****. Earlsy is fine as got snapchat off Zebo of the 2 lads in the dressing room and he looks fine. Will be interesting for Schmidt now as in my opinion Schmidt has been left with more selection headaches.
Earls or Zebo
Kearney or Bowe
The centre partnership. Paynes kicking has been desperate and his decision making is being exposed a bit more at 13 as there's less space and time.
The 23 shirt
Toner or Henderson
The LH prop scenario. I thought Healy was ok but nowhere near the same level as impact sub lately. He's still coming back so it's interesting.
The 20 shirt. Murphy showed well the 2nd half and Henry was dogged all the way through.

It's a great place to be where every man is scrapping hard for a spot.
Kearney and Bowe, Hendo, McGrath and Henry pls. Earls and Bowe interchangeable though I'd throw Fitz at 23.

Team did the job, I wanted 40 points before the game and they delivered with the second side knowing their systems well. Payne had a poor enough day at the office but all this "he was poor against Canada" is BS two poor kicks don't make a bad game. Next week, if Henshaw returns he won't kick as much if at all and be more comfortable, Henshaw and Payne are our best centre partnership in both attack and defence. Kearney's fitness is huge, I don't want Zebo starting a game from France onwards, he had some exceptional moments today but he's far too casual and allows poor mistakes creep into his game and it will show against top class opposition. Nothing wrong up front again, we can match or better it with any side from 1 to 10.

The overall criticism of Payne is ridiculous. I really don't know what people are expecting. He's certainly very far from 'horrific'. I don't agree with it but D'arcy has called him the second most important player in out backline which shows you how his peers feel about him.

D'arcy has called him the second most important player in out backline which shows you how his peers feel about him.
Don't care what Darcy thinks of him, but he ain't no Darcy. He was the stand out weakness in the Canada game, and France will target him. Interesting to see if there's a change at 13 for the Italy game.

Don't care what Darcy thinks of him, but he ain't no Darcy. He was the stand out weakness in the Canada game, and France will target him. Interesting to see if there's a change at 13 for the Italy game.

How will France target him? In defense? While I can understand where criticism of his attacking is coming from at least, his defense is excellent and has held up against all the top teams he's played.

He was also nowhere near being a 'weakness' against Canada.

Like it or not he was poor with his decisions vs Canada. Today then (maybe unfair) but when Cave moved 13 and PJ to 10 and Madigan 12 we looked more dangerous.

How will France target him? In defense? While I can understand where criticism of his attacking is coming from at least, his defense is excellent and has held up against all the top teams he's played.

He was also nowhere near being a 'weakness' against Canada.
Ireland played really well against Canada, almost full spectrum dominance - but Payne had at least 4 brainfarts that shut down scoring attacks, and he conceded the try. He did a lot of good work too, but he doesn't think fast enough and kicks too late - remember the outrageous cross kick from Sexton?

That's what France will target - rush him from defence and turn him over. Depends how fast Basterau arrives.

Ireland played really well against Canada, almost full spectrum dominance - but Payne had at least 4 brainfarts that shut down scoring attacks, and he conceded the try. He did a lot of good work too, but he doesn't think fast enough and kicks too late - remember the outrageous cross kick from Sexton?

That's what France will target - rush him from defence and turn him over. Depends how fast Basterau arrives.

Just on that bit and I accept Cmac has no time or doesn't rate Zebo. But he said Zebo shouldn't be near a team as he does some great things but he gets casual and mistakes creep in to his game. Then he says Payne is our best guy and shouldn't be questioned despite him having a lot of errors creep in.
Isn't that just a bit bias and singling out someone because you just don't like them?

Aside the media over reckon Madigan and Reddan were the 2 that harmed their chances. Madigan for running back in to traffic a few times and Reddan for his overall service and speed. These are just general looking at papers. Not saying I agree/disagree

Just on that bit and I accept Cmac has no time or doesn't rate Zebo. But he said Zebo shouldn't be near a team as he does some great things but he gets casual and mistakes creep in to his game. Then he says Payne is our best guy and shouldn't be questioned despite him having a lot of errors creep in.
Isn't that just a bit bias and singling out someone because you just don't like them?

Aside the media over reckon Madigan and Reddan were the 2 that harmed their chances. Madigan for running back in to traffic a few times and Reddan for his overall service and speed. These are just general looking at papers. Not saying I agree/disagree
Payne's mistakes have all centred around kicking, this is without Henshaw who forms abetter partnership with Payne. Go back to the warm up games, while playing with Henshaw Payne was one of our best backs while Zebo still made these errors.

Its also relative, Payne doesn't have a viable replacement whereas Zebo is a sub at best when we're at full strength.

Payne's mistakes have all centred around kicking, this is without Henshaw who forms abetter partnership with Payne. Go back to the warm up games, while playing with Henshaw Payne was one of our best backs while Zebo still made these errors.

Its also relative, Payne doesn't have a viable replacement whereas Zebo is a sub at best when we're at full strength.

Actually not true... as an Ulster fan, I absolutely love Jared Payne, I think he is a fantastic full back, solid in defence and very good at reading a game, and he makes breaks when returning kicks that don't make sense, because you'd swear there's no gap before he breaks through. However, he was pulled into outside centre by the orders of the Irish management and since then, his attacking influence on the came has decreased massively, he is not a large threat on the ball, and he doesn't have much pace which doesn't help him defend the 13 channel, although his defence is very solid, but he doesn't understand the position or get to make use of the positional skills he has in abundance at 15.

The man who's position he took at Ulster, Darren Cave, has excelled when been allowed to play there, making numerous line breaks for Ulster, deft offloads, and has always had a very strong defensive game, in fact it's been the attacking side of his game he's had to work on, the defensive solidity has always been there. He has come on leaps and bounds the last 2 years, and it does baffle me why the irfu can decree that Payne should be starting 13 ahead of him, especially when he was so good in his natural position. Even yesterday, Cave is not an inside centre though he can play there, when Jackson came on (who's distribution and game management were first rate, and I instantly noticed a better cohesion in the irish attacks, but I'll get to that), Cave shifted to 13, and Madigan to 12, and in the 15-20 minutes of this, Cave made 3 line breaks, all created by himself, i.e none were laid on a plate for him by someone else's brilliance. So to say there isn't a ready-made replacement for Payne isn't true, and I genuinely think Cave is a far better player there as it is his natural position, but the Irish management seem reluctant to allow him to play there for whatever reason. If given a run out I am supremely confident he would show exactly what he can do.

Paddy Jackson looked good yesterday as well when he came in... to me, when I look at Madigan, I see a good player for making runs and sidesteps and he is often the centre of the show when he plays well, but when it comes to rating an out-half, I like to judge them based on how well the rest of the backline look, as in an out-half's job is to make everybody else play well, and manage the players outside them to get the best out of them. In this regard, I do believe Jackson is superior to Madigan, and is a better Out-Half, although Madigan is a better bench option as he covers 12, something Jackson won't be able to do. They actually looked impressive as a combination yesterday, and I also believe Paddy needs to work on his kicking a little, as it can be very good some days, but occasionally he can go missing off the tee, but in terms of attacking the line and putting OTHER players through the gaps, as well as his strong, fast passing ability, which quickens up the whole game, he has so much potential.

The wingers for Ireland are a tricky area... to be honest, I'm still a little gutted for Trimble, and I also believe after last year, Craig Gilroy actually looks much much better than Earls, who I'm not a fan of and believe is vastly overrated. This may be Ulster bias, but Gilroy didn't fail to beat the first man almost ever last year, his sidestep was back, and his spins were perfectly timed, as well as his raw pace, he is lightning! But back to the point at hand, Schmidt has options in terms of 2 proven finishers, who are tough in defence and will put away their chances in Tommy Bowe, and Dave Kearney. I'm a fan of Bowe despite his poor game vs England, which is unlike him I have to say, and I like Dave Kearney too. Zebo and Earls are smaller and a little faster, Zebo looked good from Full Back but its a long time since I've seen him be as effective as that from the wing, where he hasn't hit the same heights in quite a while, if he did, he would be fantastic, but it seems inconsistent, and then Earls to me doesn't finish particularly well, and isn't as Solid as Bowe or Kearney. His first game vs Canada, honestly I nearly cried, he was that poor. He had one good moment and then gave away possession countless times, should've put away at least 1 more try, and didn't look international standard at all. Fitzgerald is a player I like to watch, he's electric when on the ball, so I'd love a combination of Him and either Bowe/Kearney on the other wing, with Rob Kearney at Full Back.

Up front, great to see Cian Healy back, the beast. Makes Tendai Mtawarira look like a fencing sword, though Jack McGrath is a fantastic prospect to fill in for him. Toner did ok, but Henderson has been so strong recently in the loose and in the engine room, that i can't see him being dropped, unless for tactical reasons Ireland are worried about their lineout. I'm hoping Heaslip will step up his game a bit too, he's been fantastic for Ireland over the years, but he's seeming to wane a little now. However I've said that before and he's come roaring back with mind blowing performances, so here's to hoping!
All in all, Ireland have done nothing special so far, controlling the first two matches, getting the bonus points, and just easing in. Italy will be slightly tougher, but they look so disorganised at the moment, unless Parisse is fit, I can't see them putting up too much of a contest and then, the big one, Gallic vs Gaelic, Let's show em how it's played Boys!

He's made few handling errors and decision making too. And well I don't go back as the warm up games are over its the now that matters.
Luke and Cave are capable of coming in and have played well. I'm not saying Payne should be dropped automatically. Just its open for debate.
Based on your logic - many almost all said D. Kearney and Zebo were by a country mile our best backs in warm ups so again your logic is kind of just being bias. I think all 4 guys in the RWC games have showed well and all are deserving. But unlike you I'm just looking at it totally neutral. I used to ridicule Dave but to be fair he's been excellent. I think Zebo has been in a similar light to Leinster people but showed well. Schmidt has these guys all on form and noted how great it was to see Zebo take on huge responsibility yesterday by coming in to be a receiver and taking some pressure off centres.
And if he's making mistakes but having some of best stats in his last few games I'm ok with that as he's pros seem to be hugely outweighing cons. Same goes for Dave Kearney and another guy Jordi Murphy who's stats show he's stating a case. And Chris Henry may have to be used in a big game too. Issue is POM is vital to our line out especially in Toner absence.

No one is forgetting that, but Romania played 4 days ago and with most of the same players as today. Ireland just did the job they were supposed to do, not much to be excited about.

The difference was that unlike France, Ireland came on the field with a game plan. They knew that if they play it wide, the defense would eventually crack, and it did, proven by 5 of the 6 tries. France just played as they went, a lot of improvisation and forward charges that lead nowhere. Combined with the lack of attack from the Oaks, it led to the most boring match seen in this WC so far.

He's made few handling errors and decision making too. And well I don't go back as the warm up games are over its the now that matters.
Luke and Cave are capable of coming in and have played well. I'm not saying Payne should be dropped automatically. Just its open for debate.
Based on your logic - many almost all said D. Kearney and Zebo were by a country mile our best backs in warm ups so again your logic is kind of just being bias. I think all 4 guys in the RWC games have showed well and all are deserving. But unlike you I'm just looking at it totally neutral. I used to ridicule Dave but to be fair he's been excellent. I think Zebo has been in a similar light to Leinster people but showed well. Schmidt has these guys all on form and noted how great it was to see Zebo take on huge responsibility yesterday by coming in to be a receiver and taking some pressure off centres.
And if he's making mistakes but having some of best stats in his last few games I'm ok with that as he's pros seem to be hugely outweighing cons. Same goes for Dave Kearney and another guy Jordi Murphy who's stats show he's stating a case. And Chris Henry may have to be used in a big game too. Issue is POM is vital to our line out especially in Toner absence.

Considering his last game with Henshaw was the warm ups and he showed up incredibly well it's unfair not to go back that far considering they have formed a good partnership which is Ireland's strongest, Fitz and Cave don't have the physicality needed for playing 80 mins against the likes of France, SA, England and NZ in my opinion.

Zebo hasn't played wing this world cup and so far all I have really said is I don't want him in the starting line-up ahead of Kearney for the big matches because of the mistakes he makes, I can forgive handling errors but getting caught behind the gainline purely from being far too casual is unacceptable at this level. Call it bias if it makes you feel better but I think he'd struggle against the big sides at 15 which is his position for this WC and I think Fitz is a better bench option because Kearney usually plays 80 minutes when fit and Fitz is better cover for centre and wing but that's personal preference of what I want off the bench it really is a call that will make little effect on the outcome of any game.

Stats in my opinion mean little against minnow nations, the time and space won't be afforded to the players against tier 1 nations so for me noticeably making mistakes is what should be looked at now and with that I don't want Zebo at 15 after next week.

Edit: I also don't dislike the guy but find him frustrating, he has it all and is probably our most gifted outside back but his attitude on the pitch and desire to get into highlight reels lets him down if you ask me.

Last edited:
Considering his last game with Henshaw was the warm ups and he showed up incredibly well it's unfair not to go back that far considering they have formed a good partnership which is Ireland's strongest, Fitz and Cave don't have the physicality needed for playing 80 mins against the likes of France, SA, England and NZ in my opinion.

Zebo hasn't played wing this world cup and so far all I have really said is I don't want him in the starting line-up ahead of Kearney for the big matches because of the mistakes he makes, I can forgive handling errors but getting caught behind the gainline purely from being far too casual is unacceptable at this level. Call it bias if it makes you feel better but I think he'd struggle against the big sides at 15 which is his position for this WC and I think Fitz is a better bench option because Kearney usually plays 80 minutes when fit and Fitz is better cover for centre and wing but that's personal preference of what I want off the bench it really is a call that will make little effect on the outcome of any game.

Stats in my opinion mean little against minnow nations, the time and space won't be afforded to the players against tier 1 nations so for me noticeably making mistakes is what should be looked at now and with that I don't want Zebo at 15 after next week.

Edit: I also don't dislike the guy but find him frustrating, he has it all and is probably our most gifted outside back but his attitude on the pitch and desire to get into highlight reels lets him down if you ask me.

Well stats vs England and Wales were very good. But again we will agree to disagree. Kearney is a major injury doubt too. Fitz is picked as s centre so if what your saying is Zebo is primarily in as a FB. And I'd disagree about comment on his attitude as since January he's probably improved that more than anyone. And again stats mean little but including the warm ups he's done more to get over the gain line than most backs. And our 2 centres as highlighted by Murray Kinsella have been the worst of all centre partnerships for going over the gainline.
If Zebo isn't selected as there's alternative options available tactically and in better form then fair enough. But these mistakes you talk of well to say he's alone or even 1 of worst offenders is totally wrong. And it seems Schmidt is more than impressed by Zebo and well that's all that mattera

Simon Zebo on way home to Ireland after death of his grandfather. He will return to the squad tomorrow.

Latest posts