• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2015 RWC] Pool D: France vs. Romania (23/09/2015)

TRF_heineken

RIP #J9
Staff member
TRF Legend
Country Flag
South Africa
Club or Nation
South Africa
vTRhZ65.png

France.png
Versus%20Telstra.png
Romania.png

The Stadium, Queen Elizabeth Olympic Park, London (23/09/2015, 20:00)
Pool D, Round 2

Referee: Jaco Peyper
23px-Flag_of_South_Africa.svg.png

This is only four days after the Italy game, so french lineup will depend a lot on injuries. After this game, Canada is a week away and Ireland 8 days after that.
The logical thing to do would be to play as far from the first-choice XV as possible, so I predict PSA going full strength.

This is only four days after the Italy game, so french lineup will depend a lot on injuries. After this game, Canada is a week away and Ireland 8 days after that.
The logical thing to do would be to play as far from the first-choice XV as possible, so I predict PSA going full strength.

Can you help me out mate! Assuming the French go with their second stringers who are likely to be the starting loosies in this game? and what about the back three?

Anyone got any info on what Romania are like these days?
They gave the Scotch a right good game last time.
I love the Eastern Euro teams, so much heart and hunger.

Can you help me out mate! Assuming the French go with their second stringers who are likely to be the starting loosies in this game? and what about the back three?
I'd say it would really depend on the injuries after the Italy game. I think it is safe to assume that all 8 players who don't make it in the 23 against Italy will be starting against Georgia. The thinest positions are in the front five (only three locks!), and it will be tricky to keep enough muscle up front as it will be needed against Georgia without giving the big boys too much game time in five days, even more so if Maestri and Papé both start against Italy.
In the backs there will be a few (probably something like Kockott, Dumoulin/Fickou, Guitoune and Dulin) who will not be playing on Saturday and are likely to start against Georgia.
If you're looking for players for your fantasy team, here's my advise:
Ouedraogo and Nyanga are likely to start and even score. One of them will play 80 minutes.
One of Parra or Kockott will probably start, play 80 minutes and kick goals (the one that is not on the bench this Saturday).
Fickou (in midfield) , Guitoune and Dulin (back three) are likely to start. They're very good against tired/unorganized defenses, so I'd say they're likely to score here.

Anyone got any info on what Romania are like these days?
They gave the Scotch a right good game last time.
I love the Eastern Euro teams, so much heart and hunger.

We are light years away from the 70s and 80s teams that beat France quite often. And Wales or Scotland. In the 80s there were serious talks of adding Romania to the 5 Nations' Cup, but ultimately it didn't come to fruition due to the Western vs Eastern block endless frictions. I'd venture saying that the inclusion of Romania would have been far more justified back then than the adding of Italy in present times.

I hope we will beat Canada and give the Italy/France a good fight. Seeing Ireland playing today, I quite frankly fear of the worst from that encounter.

Go Romania and All Blacks!

Is this match still on? Anyone managed to watch all of it?

Joubert has successfully award 31 penalties in this game so far.

Romania XV :

1- Mihaita Lazar (Castres/FRA)
2- Otar Turashvili (Colomiers/FRA)
3- Paulica Ion (Perpignan/FRA)
4- Valentin Poparlan (Timisoara)
5- Johan Van Heerden (Baia Mare)
6- Viorel Lucaci (Steaua Bucharest)
7- Valentin Ursache (Oyonnax/FRA)
8- Mihai Macovei (Colomiers/FRA, capitaine)
9- Florin Surugiu (CSM Bucharest)
10- Dan Dumbrava (Steaua Bucharest)
11- Adrian Apostol (Baia Mare)
12- Florin Vlaicu (CSM Bucharest)
13- Paula Kinikinilau (Timisoara)
14- Madalin Lemnaru (Timisoara)
15- Catalin Fercu (Saracens/ENG)

16- Andrei Radoi (Timisoara)
17- Andrei Ursache (Carcassonne/FRA)
18- Horatiu Pungea (Oyonnax/FRA)
19- Ovidiu Tonita (unattached)
20- Stelian Burcea (Timisoara)
21- Valentin Calafeteanu (Timisoara)
22- Ionut Botezatu (Baia Mare)
23- Csaba Gal (Cluj)

He is really going for an almost full B team. Fair enough, we should not fear Romania too much, Canada should be a bit tougher I guess.

btw, I will be in Stratford at the Olympic stadium for the match :) hoping that will be a fun match !

He is really going for an almost full B team. Fair enough, we should not fear Romania too much, Canada should be a bit tougher I guess.
I don't think so...
November 2014 : Romania 18-9 Canada
November 2013 : Romania 21-20 Canada

Also, Romania have a strongest forwards pack and a tougher defence than Canada, which I think it's important against Tier1 sides...

btw, I will be in Stratford at the Olympic stadium for the match :) hoping that will be a fun match !

Me too ;)

Good point about the results of Romania vs Canada, I was really thinking that Canada were better, my bad.

Yes, under-estimate this Romanian team at your own peril. They have an excellent forward pack with the scrum and driving maul being their two biggest weapons. Florin Vlaicu is also deadly accurate with the boot. They also have very good defence.

They don't have much quality in the backs other than Fercu but their plan will be to drag France into a trench battle. Their forwards will be up for the contest.

They have also recently beaten Tonga, a team that beat you guys last World Cup :p and they put a spanking on a "A" side Argentina and Namibia this past June, utterly wrecking both teams scrums.

[video=youtube_share;BD0Vs2XA_7Q]http://youtu.be/BD0Vs2XA_7Q[/video]

This is also the match Romanian fans are most looking forward to. They think they can catch France off guard :) and by the sounds of how overconfident you are, they may be right :p

Last edited:
Logically, we should win this one but does not mean that we are going to the match full of confidence. We need to do the job, a bonus would be great (in perspective of the confrontation against Ireland who could still be first if we beat them close with all bonus they could gather along their way...) but I do not see it happen as we do not score a lot of tries these last times (long times...).

France is sending a reserve squad against us. However, due to PSA's incompetence, I think many of these reserves are better than the starters.

I hope our boys will do their best and make up proud. A win is almost impossible but I hope we can keep it close. A good defense and strong scrum will be key if we want to be competitive, discipline is key. I'll be in the stadium as well.

Latest posts