• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2015 RWC] Pool B: South Africa vs. USA (07/10/2015)

Haha, touche!!

@The Jones Boy please point me to the bit where I said we are going to beat the French!
Mmm, it seems you are the one making assumptions, not me ;)

I only saw the second half of today's game but thought SA looked pretty good albeit against a rather weak opposition. Copngrats to Habana on equaliing Lomu's record!

I didn't see the match at all but they must have got a rocket at half time? The score was relatively close after 40 minutes.

SA look like the most beatable big 3 team...

hope we get them in our pool for the next WC :D me no wants to play NZ and Argentina for a long time...

Bring on South Africa and some 6N team, Ideally Wales.

And you barely beat Namibia???LOL

- - - Updated - - -

Good game. Just funny how the team can go from useless according to some fans(half time) to great after full time. When you play a team weaker than you, that gives their all, you can't always run away with things from the start. We were always going to run with the score. One thing, before our Scottish friend gets rabies...... Schalk must be the luckiest rugby player in the world. He should've received a yellow against Scotland, he should've received on last night. I don't care how good he is. He's as dumb as a plank, and by chance if SA makes the semi's or final, he's going to cost us big time. Get him the hell out of the team!!!!!If you don't know where a guy's neck is, it's that piece of meat just below the head?Can't miss it!

- - - Updated - - -

Good game. Just funny how the team can go from useless according to some fans(half time) to great after full time. When you play a team weaker than you, that gives their all, you can't always run away with things from the start. We were always going to run with the score. One thing, before our Scottish friend gets rabies...... Schalk must be the luckiest rugby player in the world. He should've received a yellow against Scotland, he should've received on last night. I don't care how good he is. He's as dumb as a plank, and by chance if SA makes the semi's or final, he's going to cost us big time. Get him the hell out of the team!!!!!If you don't know where a guy's neck is, it's that piece of meat just below the head?Can't miss it!
The problem isn't that the US put in a perfect first half and bravely held us back, unfortunately we were woeful in the first half.
A great performance in the end but certainly a performance of two halves.

Well it took us a whole half of rugby to get used to Monsieur Pascal Gauzere, and his rather suspect officiating. Man, that first half was frustrating to watch, and we all off a sudden forgot how to pass and catch, was the ball deflated or something, because it seemed to me that they tried to pass it harder than before.

Anyway, I hope that Schalk's injury isn't too bad, that looked rather painful to watch. And glad to see Habana running that collision off with 3 tries.

Beast is starting to show some form again, and he and Frans demolished the American scrums. I still don't know why we didn't get more scrum penalties.

Lood and Eben is now a well oiled machine in the locks. Once again a very good performance by them.

It's a pity that first half was so error-prone, I would have liked our stalwarts to be taken off earlier and let the back-ups have some fun.

I thought Paige had a pretty good debut. He looks to be in better form than Pienaar, and might just be our second choice from this point onwards.

Yeah, you can only write off the poor first half (for SA) so much to the USA 2nd team's doggedness. For a large part we were making poor decisions, rushed things and the accuracy of execution left a lot to be dersired. For the first 10/15 minutes I thought the referee was rather pedantic but thereafter we got lucky with a number of calls (or rather non-calls). Hope we can maintain shape better against sterner opposition.

On the positives, great for Habana to get the hattrick and get to the record (albeit with a tournament extra) with Lomu. He is also now the most prolific try scorer in world rugby and I take my hat off to him. I remember that poor spell where everyone (myself included) called for his head but he managed to turn it around and is a VERY valuable squad member.

Malherbe surely now has shown his worth? Only thing that might see him on the bench rather than starting wuld be Meyer not considering the USA match as much of a basis to make decisions on but he is more accurate in defence, in carrying and at the set piece IMO. The lsat cog in the wheel to get all our form players (those in the squad at least) in there starting. Difficult to call the rest though as this was a game where you can't really take much from. How are we on the ijury front? I didn't see anything that looked too serious. Alberts looks two yards off the pace though. Maybe it wasn't such a good idea carrying an injured player and praying he gets right in time for the finals series even if it is Alberts?

Yeah, you can only write off the poor first half (for SA) so much to the USA 2nd team's doggedness. For a large part we were making poor decisions, rushed things and the accuracy of execution left a lot to be dersired. For the first 10/15 minutes I thought the referee was rather pedantic but thereafter we got lucky with a number of calls (or rather non-calls). Hope we can maintain shape better against sterner opposition.

On the positives, great for Habana to get the hattrick and get to the record (albeit with a tournament extra) with Lomu. He is also now the most prolific try scorer in world rugby and I take my hat off to him. I remember that poor spell where everyone (myself included) called for his head but he managed to turn it around and is a VERY valuable squad member.

Malherbe surely now has shown his worth? Only thing that might see him on the bench rather than starting wuld be Meyer not considering the USA match as much of a basis to make decisions on but he is more accurate in defence, in carrying and at the set piece IMO. The lsat cog in the wheel to get all our form players (those in the squad at least) in there starting. Difficult to call the rest though as this was a game where you can't really take much from. How are we on the ijury front? I didn't see anything that looked too serious. Alberts looks two yards off the pace though. Maybe it wasn't such a good idea carrying an injured player and praying he gets right in time for the finals series even if it is Alberts?

Yeah, I agree on Alberts. He was panting there at the end, but it was good to see him run again with wrecking ball vigor! He now has 10 days to get more fit than he is now.

Come on guys........you can't ignore the comment on Schalk, I won't allow you to, lol!!!!!

- - - Updated - - -

Haha fine, I will address the Burger quote. I may get burnt for this comment, but I really think we need him starting the game. Yes he has been a risk with discipline, but I believe what he is actually doing is being under appreciated. I honestly believe it is part of the game plan that we often see Schalk at second flyhalf and the benefit of it was seen in the USA game. The scrummie often had the option of either passing to Schalk who would either run it up or play it to a player into space or he could play it behind Schalk to Pollard to play it down the backline. This commits defenders around the ruck and opens up potential attack out wide. We have often been one dimensional in our forward attack as you always knew that the forward was just going to bang it up and the ball was never going to the backline. This has added some unpredictability. I also think the reason we see Schalk at flyhalf is because of the above game plan and the backs/flyhalf just not being set up for the next phase.

On the tackles, yes he has been lucky. But so have a number of our other players. I think the reason for this is that we are aiming for the chest in the tackles to be able to drive players back which has been seen against Scotland and the USA now. It is risky but so far it has paid dividends.

Come on guys........you can't ignore the comment on Schalk, I won't allow you to, lol!!!!!

He certainly pushes the boundaries, just like any other classy flanker in world rugby. If he's not cited, no problem. He's playing pretty damn good IMHO. His passing skills is something that the Springboks didn't used to have.

I for one was shocked when we had a phase of play where we had 3 offloads between forwards in one move...

I'm not disputing the fact that he's playing great rugby. I just get ice cold when he goes in for a tackle. It's not just the tackle, it's that Austin Powers Judo Chop throw over his hip with his arm around the player's throat. Not the first time he does that.

I'm not disputing the fact that he's playing great rugby. I just get ice cold when he goes in for a tackle. It's not just the tackle, it's that Austin Powers Judo Chop throw over his hip with his arm around the player's throat. Not the first time he does that.

But to be fair to him, that high tackle was made on the guy's chest and then at impact went upwards.

I think it was a tactic by the bokke in the first half to go and and hit them hard in the tackles, which we did rather successful if I might add. It's a bit of a "meh" point of discussion.

Schalk adds a dimension we don't have otherwise as Heineken said. Basically with all of our forward runners, the opposing team can expect them to run straight and hard, but with Schalk the other team has to account for a pass as well, makes our tight carrying slightly more dynamic.

I thought Paige was fast and accurate in his delivery as well, even better than FdP in terms of speed of delivery (although of course FdP's decision making and kicking is world class). A pity this is probably the last we'll see of him. Kriel continues to look off the pace which is a bit worrying but the rest of the back line is shaping up (particularly Pollard and DAMIAN). Otherwise I don't have that much else to say, the real test starts now!

Last edited:
Schalk adds a dimension we don't have otherwise as Heineken said. Basically with all of our forward runners, the opposing team can expect them to run straight and hard, but with Schalk the other team has to account for a pass as well, makes our tight carrying slightly more dynamic.

I thought Paige was fast and accurate in his delivery as well, even better than FdP in terms of speed of delivery (although of course FdP's decision making and kicking is world class). A pity this is probably the last we'll see of him. Kriel continues to look off the pace which is a bit worrying but the rest of the back line is shaping up (particularly Pollard and DdA). Otherwise I don't have that much else to say, the real test starts now!

My concerns for the quarter final are (selection wise)
That we switch Page for Pienaar (I think he performed well and deserves another spot on the bench)
That we switch out Malherbe for Du Plessis (He is better in almost every way.)
That we switch out De Jager for Matfield (We really just cannot do this)

Heineken, I'm not talking about the tackle that rode up, that was the first one. The second one happened at a maul where he threw the guy over. But I will accept the majority decision, you can let the coach know that he may select Schalk again for the 1/4's(if he's not cited).

My concerns for the quarter final are (selection wise)
That we switch Page for Pienaar (I think he performed well and deserves another spot on the bench)
That we switch out Malherbe for Du Plessis (He is better in almost every way.)
That we switch out De Jager for Matfield (We really just cannot do this)

I would have no problem with that. Although, Victor hasn't done anything wrong either. Maybe PSDT will lose his spot in the place of Victor. But we don't know what the plan is as of yet so we can only speculate now.

I think we should add Morne Steyn to that list ahead of Lambie. Steyn struggled with his kicks at goal, just like Lambie and Pollard, but he looked rather sharp in the other facets, he got the backline away very well and made a few tackles too...

I would have no problem with that. Although, Victor hasn't done anything wrong either. Maybe PSDT will lose his spot in the place of Victor. But we don't know what the plan is as of yet so we can only speculate now.

I think we should add Morne Steyn to that list ahead of Lambie. Steyn struggled with his kicks at goal, just like Lambie and Pollard, but he looked rather sharp in the other facets, he got the backline away very well and made a few tackles too...

I absolutely agree that Matfield hasn't done anything wrong, but the problem is that Lood has done almost everything and is arguably our best player of the tournament so far and is dangerous in both attack and defense. I don't see PSDT in the quarters above Alberts or Matfield.

I actually agree with you on that, but I would never start with that just because I am used to the silly Pollard vs Lambie fights on rugby365 and no how much trouble you can get into for not rating Lambie. I was really surprised by how well Steyn played and how good he looked on attack. I really just don't have much confidence in Lambie as our flyhalf.

I absolutely agree that Matfield hasn't done anything wrong, but the problem is that Lood has done almost everything and is arguably our best player of the tournament so far and is dangerous in both attack and defense. I don't see PSDT in the quarters above Alberts or Matfield.

I actually agree with you on that, but I would never start with that just because I am used to the silly Pollard vs Lambie fights on rugby365 and no how much trouble you can get into for not rating Lambie. I was really surprised by how well Steyn played and how good he looked on attack. I really just don't have much confidence in Lambie as our flyhalf.

You won't find much love for Lambie from me, but I do know some on here love the guy and even call him the babyfaced assassin. But yeah, I agree with 100%. I think Lood has been our standout performer, in every game, even the Japan game. And while many say our guys are unfit, I tend to disagree, with them, and Lood is the prime example why I say that. He has played more than 160 minutes in 4 days, and doesn't look tired at all, another guy is Duane Vermeulen, he played Saturday and yesterday's game the full 80! and he looked hungrier the longer the game went on yesterday.

You won't find much love for Lambie from me, but I do know some on here love the guy and even call him the babyfaced assassin. But yeah, I agree with 100%. I think Lood has been our standout performer, in every game, even the Japan game. And while many say our guys are unfit, I tend to disagree, with them, and Lood is the prime example why I say that. He has played more than 160 minutes in 4 days, and doesn't look tired at all, another guy is Duane Vermeulen, he played Saturday and yesterday's game the full 80! and he looked hungrier the longer the game went on yesterday.

I agree with you on the fitness level. I think the fitness level was an issue earlier in the year when we lost two matches in the last twenty minutes, but we really have turned things around in that regard and I was really glad to see that we raised our game in the USA game second half and held out to win the second half against Scotland who have been a second half team in this world cup. After all the losses in the late stages of games this year I never feel comfortable in the last quarter unless we are at least 15 points up, but hopefully that's a thing of the past.

On that note of days between matches, I am actually a bit worried that this break may be too long for us and we may come in under cooked in the quarterfinal, but hopefully it goes well. For me especially though since I just bought semi final tickets last night.

I really like Lambie. He has BMT, and flair. He just needs constant game time. And a bit of love from the coach.