• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

RWC 2023 Predictions

For me, there's quite a large gap between "WR exerted no pressure" and "WR imposed this against the will of the establishment" - which illustrate my entire point .

Okay. If you ever feel like posting examples of when World Rugby have taken steps to encourage the merit based expansion of Tier 1 then please shout that from the rooftops. Although I would argue the English president and Scottish vice president are little more than stooges of the 6N unions, I do think we see signs outside the mens XVs game that World Rugby would not oppose a world where stupid Tiers existed. I would even say they made it clear they would prefer promotion / relegation withthe World League before seemingly completely capitulating to a 6N and (to a lesser extent) SANZAAR who are cosistently opposed to just that.

I do not consider a merit based expansion of the sport likely at a time when World Rugby are planning to give Tier1 a veto over who they play in mid year and end of year tests (so that they, like you, can say 6N and SANZAAR are private entities that cannot be forced to play people they don't want to). That is the crux of my argument. World Rugby are on the cusp of abandoning whatever limited influence they have on the future of international mens XVs by making the World League owned exclusively by 6N and SANZAAR who can then 'invite' whatever 2 nations they want to play and exclude all the rest.

I would also give World Rugby credit for their influence on 7s and women's rugby which have great formats that, unlike mens XVs, seemingly place no artificial obstacles infront of hard working unions with limit economic power. If you are competent and develop good players you can reach the top (unlike Georgian mens u20s).

For info, I do not create strawmen. I simply think you have a polar opposite experience of World Rugby to my personal experience. It happens.

My prediction is the SA v France final like a lot of people. What a game that would be.

That also means NZ and SA would play each other in a knockout, along with a Wales Eng knockout and that would generate a lot of buzz here.

With France down Willemse now too I'm going to change my prediction to an Ireland v SA final and SA ending our win streak there and then.
I'm more confident we'll make the final and less confident of who we'll play after round 1. I'd marginally prefer South Africa I think although wouldn't favour us that deep into the comp v either.

For me there's only two crunch games left that could go either way and will go a long way in determining the final group placings.

SA v Ire
Wales v Aus

Yes Samoa could upset England or Arg but I expect Arg to get their act together with both qualifying and England topping the group. Fij could upset Australia but after their performance v Georgia I expect Aus to prevail.

It does stink that one of the 3 best teams will not make to the semifinals......I hope for France or Ireland in the final anyway.

I'm going out on a limb and backing Scotland (soundly beaten by SA without firing a shot) for a win vs Ireland (ranked #1 in the world) , for the first time since the autumn series of 1742, or something.

Oh, and I also predict that we've not seen the last of the red-card-lottery deciding games in a completely arbitrary manner.

The next victims will be Australia in their game against Wales, where two players will both jump for a 50-50 high ball but the Wales player comes off worst and the Aussie will get red for it, on the evidence of a single freeze-frame showing an elbow contact with head. They gamely hold on with one man short until 70-odd minutes, when they run out of puff and LRZ runs in the winning try.

(Precisian's note : this is quite a specific scenario. It's possible that the details may vary slightly... like the teams involved, and the event actually occurring at all)

I don't think round 1 changed my predictions one iota. Everyone I thought would win won, albeit some in more resounding fashion than I thought! Don't think we really have a big crunch matches until round 3

with Marx out, Ireland in boks seat. Perhaps. Him and vermeulen stifling irelands continuity was a big reason I thought South Africa could beat Ireland. The other big reason remains though: South Africa may still dominate scrum in second half though

with Marx out, Ireland in boks seat. Perhaps. Him and vermeulen stifling irelands continuity was a big reason I thought South Africa could beat Ireland. The other big reason remains though: South Africa may still dominate scrum in second half though
Continuity stifling is what the other cover players bring though, Fourie has been amazing at that throughout the URC - often keeping the Stormers in games, while this is Van Staden's expertise. The bigger worry is how we perform at the set pieces with these two on.

Continuity stifling is what the other cover players bring though, Fourie has been amazing at that throughout the URC - often keeping the Stormers in games, while this is Van Staden's expertise. The bigger worry is how we perform at the set pieces with these two on.
Etzebeth is just as big for the scrum if not bigger than the hooker but it sounds like he should be fit for round 3. I wouldn't risk anyone who isn't 100 percent though but we'll see. Gonna be a long week this one.

Agreed on Fourie. The man carried the Stormers these two seasons. The rest take all the glory but Fourie is our mvp and then some.

For me there's only two crunch games left that could go either way and will go a long way in determining the final group placings.

SA v Ire
Wales v Aus

Yes Samoa could upset England or Arg but I expect Arg to get their act together with both qualifying and England topping the group. Fij could upset Australia but after their performance v Georgia I expect Aus to prevail.

You forgot New Zealand vs Italy 🙃

Happy to see the number of card-less games quadruple this morning. Long may the new trend continue!

P.S. I stand by my prediction of Australia and Fiji to qualify from Pool C, with 3 wins each. Less sure about who is #1 in Pool.
[...] I think Australia/Fiji/Wales end up with 3 wins each, and placement in group comes down to bonus points [...]

You forgot New Zealand vs Italy 🙃

Happy to see the number of card-less games quadruple this morning. Long may the new trend continue!

P.S. I stand by my prediction of Australia and Fiji to qualify from Pool C,
with 3 wins each. Less sure about who is #1 in Pool.

I think Georgia will beat Wales. That is my prediction.

Latest posts