• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

RWC: Argentina - England (10-09-2011, 20:30)

When's the last time Cueto didn't finish an opportunity though?
It's not like Monye butchering two easy tries for the Lions - the ball just never seems to find him near the tryline, despite all of the work he gets through else where

You can't put Varndell on an international rugby pitch, no disrespect I like him and think he's a good player for wasps. But I wouldn't wont him anywhere in the England first XV. He is just to bad in defence and doesn't won't to do the hard work on a pitch. Monye would be me call-up if any wingers get injured, altough I would've had him over Banahan obviously :p.

Btw Christian Wade, has to be somewhere in the England senior setup after the WC.

Ashton, Wade, Sharples, Benjamin, Yarde, Short - We're set for wing for a while now :p

When's the last time Cueto didn't finish an opportunity though?
It's not like Monye butchering two easy tries for the Lions - the ball just never seems to find him near the tryline, despite all of the work he gets through else where

Argentina 2009 is the last clear cut one I can think of.

In fairness, if a winger isn't around when the ball is near the tryline, something is wrong.

Ashton, Wade, Sharples, Benjamin, Yarde, Short - We're set for wing for a while now :p

Yeah, atm my post RWC wing pecking order would be:

Ashton, Ojo, Sharples/ Short/ Wade.

Those last 3 because we need to see some more of them and judge them on their defence. If necessary Armitage can always cover wing as well, especially from 22.

[QUOTEthe ball just never seems to find him near the tryline[/QUOTE] You find the ball the ball doesn't find you.

Varndell is easily the fastest wing in the premiership and I think he should have been a contender. Real pace (not just relatively quick i.e Foden and Ashton etc.) in the back 3 and is one area where England are severely lacking. I am not saying varndell is the perfect winger, but with work and international game time he could be what we need.

[QUOTEthe ball just never seems to find him near the tryline
You find the ball the ball doesn't find you.

Varndell is easily the fastest wing in the premiership and I think he should have been a contender. Real pace (not just relatively quick i.e Foden and Ashton etc.) in the back 3 and is one area where England are severely lacking. I am not saying varndell is the perfect winger, but with work and international game time he could be what we need.[/QUOTE]

All the wings I mentioned above (after Ashton) also have real pace, maybe not as fast as Varndell but still very quick. But they also have good footwork & rugby brains to go with it. And Ojo's good defensively.

Wade for me is the most exciting prospect. Has an insane acceleration/sidestep/speed seems to defend well and has good ball handling, new J.Robinson but early but he has one future ahead of him.

Gingergenius, maybe i am being harsh on armitage and either way i definitely agree that theres no harm giving him more gametime on the wing. But between them the midfield and armitage wasted some decent ball. Our use of midfield space wasnt bad until tindall or tuilagi slung it all the way out to armitage on the very pitch edge who was pretty static because his timing wasnt right.

On varndell i havent seen much indication that he really reads the game very well. And you can only learn that to an extent. Cant just tell him To be more like ashton. Until his game gets a bit more rounded i'lkk just consider him an excellent athlete who happens to play rugby a bit.

Varndell also still has a nasty habit of chipping and chasing, and watching the ball squirt off the side of his boot and into touch, sometimes at quite a spectacular angle.

Varndell also still has a nasty habit of chipping and chasing, and watching the ball squirt off the side of his boot and into touch, sometimes at quite a spectacular angle.

I am not claiming he is the complete player but even still at least he is trying to play some expansive winning rugby rather than constantly finding contact and becoming static

I am not claiming he is the complete player but even still at least he is trying to play some expansive winning rugby rather than constantly finding contact and becoming static
But our wingers are hardly responsible for static play. It's mainly what's happening 6-13. He wouldn't be solving any of our problems, because we already just about know that with good service, we can get a decent performance out of our back 3.

Last edited:
I mean, yes we were abysmal. Fair enough. But to be honest wales in the last few years have not been playing less boring rugby. Much of the time your backs just crab around from one side of the pitch to the other and theres not often that much midfield creativity, even when Hook - who i really rate - is playing 12. with wilkinson i'd say yes we play more boring rugby. but in the last 3 years of the six nations we've scored the most tries in 2 of the 3 tournaments. Its not all bad
I disagree, Wales, France, New Zealand play the most attractive rugby in the world rugby. South Africa play similar to you, the game is based on defence.

I disagree, Wales, France, New Zealand play the most attractive rugby in the world rugby. South Africa play similar to you, the game is based on defence.

There is no way Wales have been playing attractive rugby over the past 12 months

France swap between playing good rugby to boring rugby about every 50 minutes on the pitch (remember when they thought they could out-England England at RWC07)

The five teams who play the most running rugby in this World Cup are:

New Zealand
Japan
Australia
Russia
Fiji
France (sometimes)

There is no way Wales have been playing attractive rugby over the past 12 months

France swap between playing good rugby to boring rugby about every 50 minutes on the pitch (remember when they thought they could out-England England at RWC07)

The five teams who play the most running rugby in this World Cup are:

New Zealand
Japan
Australia
Russia
Fiji
France (sometimes)

You have to include Namibia also....though they're usually running after the other team with the ball.

Bozinga.

I think this is the longest conversation I have ever seen on Tom Varndell without people remarking on his defence.

Speaking of England wingers, Ugo Monye looks like he's back and angry for Quins...

Agree with that, playing out of his skin at the moment is Monye

Saw him make a cracking turnover vs Saints as well

Latest posts