• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

RWC Home nations chat

The love's not universal in England either......

You "stole" Eddie Jones and John Mitchell who were both employed by South African teams, and just barely started out before you poached them... Yeah, they weren't well liked before they came here, but them both taking up the job in England has left a very sour taste in the mouth.

Massively competitive and hugely self confident as his track record gives him every right to be. If that's your definition of cocky then fine, but most other teams would take him in a heartbeat and like any other key players he'll be targeted. Maybe a pantomime villain, but I suspect he has a huge amount of respect from those that really matter, teammates and opponents alike.

He plays the villain role well, yes. Won't disagree with your remarks here. Competitive and self confidence is something people say who are a fan of him. Arrogant and cocky is what people say about the same attributes of a person who dislikes him...

Explain this? Every team's going to go into the RWC making positive PR noises about being in a good place, but beyond that? Just natural English arrogance?

Being in a good place? Not the articles I'm seeing. Fights in dressing rooms, players being left out of the squad on purpose while 3 guys on crutches in selected and might not play at all in the pool stages... Doesn't sound like a good place to me... What if you don't make it out of the pool stages (again). Then you had 3 tourists with your 28-man squad...

You "stole" Eddie Jones and John Mitchell who were both employed by South African teams, and just barely started out before you poached them... Yeah, they weren't well liked before they came here, but them both taking up the job in England has left a very sour taste in the mouth.
South Africans stole John Mitchell who was contracted to Sale,
Swings and roundabouts.

It's mad that Farrell is the most disliked English player anywhere. B Vunipola is on the team and Elliot Daly, both massive wankstains.
What's wrong with Daly (other than wearing a long sleeve baselayer the whole year round)?

Well there you have it English folk, every team and nation is indeed out to get you. Every England achievement is worth at least three times that of any other nation due to other teams raising their game as England are their cup finals and the target of bigoted ire. It's probably fair to say that due to the above prejudices England are really the best team in the world.

He plays the villain role well, yes. Won't disagree with your remarks here. Competitive and self confidence is something people say who are a fan of him. Arrogant and cocky is what people say about the same attributes of a person who dislikes him...

Being in a good place? Not the articles I'm seeing. Fights in dressing rooms, players being left out of the squad on purpose while 3 guys on crutches in selected and might not play at all in the pool stages... Doesn't sound like a good place to me... What if you don't make it out of the pool stages (again). Then you had 3 tourists with your 28-man squad...
3 on crutches that might not play in pool stages but considering they are mako slade and nowell its worth keeping them as we have good depth and replacing them would porb make us weaker in the knockout stages, its deffinitly a calculated risk but ill take it. USA and tonga have showed nothing that would really trouble our second team apart from the short turn around. The last 2 games without them 3 players we still have a strong squad to get us out our pool i mean we beat wales ireland and nilled italy without them. Isnt slade back in full training?

No doubt we will get 3 more injuries from EJs training but thats different issue.

So this is another potentially interesting thread that's been hijacked by "POACHING!!!!" and "EVERYONE HATES ENGLAND!!!!!", that's just great.

It's all just thinly-veiled prejudice. And I include the term "thinly-veiled" only out of courtesy, it's not at all veiled.

Coaches move teams all the time, it's not "stealing" it's a market place. All of the best players in all sport are "cocky". Every team or player in the history of sport ever has talked about how they are "better prepared than they have ever been" before every major competition. The only way you can use any of this as a reason to dislike someone is if you have already decided you dislike them.

You are prejudiced against the English, just ******* say it out loud rather than this "oh it's just how people see things" crap, just own it for ****'s sake.

I seriously might give this place a miss during the World Cup, it's going be ******* dull wading through all the usual anti-X-country/ref-blaming/everyone's-poaching-except-my country b0ll0cks to get to the rugby talk.

I guess because you're that side of the pond, you won't get how we see you guys. When we play the pommies, we like to remind the players about the Anglo Boer war, and how the women and children suffered in the concentration camps. It's a good motivator as both white and black suffered during the war.

I guess it's because we have different views on sports science. I've never formally studied it, but it is a subject that interests me. I have always assumed that the Inverted U Law applies to rugby, consequently in the modern game, I would rather face a bunch of Springboks who are foaming at the mouth thinking about the atrocities of the Battle of Mboto Gorge than I would one keeping the last bit inside as (IIRC) Dallaglio advises his team mates in 1997's Living With The Lions. If you go back far enough, I guess the drop off in the U would have been less severe - the Buck's Nut test vs France is a classic example, but once referees became better and had assistants to help them out. As far back as 1987, England's level of arousal cost them any chance of winning the Battle of Cardiff and damaged the careers of at least 3 players and in 1992, Lascube and Moscato put their team on the end of a hiding at Parc des Princes.

Labuschagne in 2002 is a good, more contempary example. Not only did his inability to control his emotions contribute to his team's heaviest ever defeat (at the time), he did massive psychological damage to his nation's chances at the World Cup the next year given that they shared a pool with England. I wonder if South Africans would take a different view on this had James Dalton's indicipline not been prevented from spoiling Louis Luyt's party by a few black women of a certain age in Durban.

So this is another potentially interesting thread that's been hijacked by "POACHING!!!!" and "EVERYONE HATES ENGLAND!!!!!", that's just great.

It's all just thinly-veiled prejudice. And I include the term "thinly-veiled" only out of courtesy, it's not at all veiled.

Coaches move teams all the time, it's not "stealing" it's a market place. All of the best players in all sport are "cocky". Every team or player in the history of sport ever has talked about how they are "better prepared than they have ever been" before every major competition. The only way you can use any of this as a reason to dislike someone is if you have already decided you dislike them.

You are prejudiced against the English, just ******* say it out loud rather than this "oh it's just how people see things" crap, just own it for ****'s sake.

I seriously might give this place a miss during the World Cup, it's going be ******* dull wading through all the usual anti-X-country/ref-blaming/everyone's-poaching-except-my country b0ll0cks to get to the rugby talk.

Geez, calm down boet. There's no need to swear and this warrants a warning for you.

This thread is about the home Nations. And I voiced my opinion. If you don't like what I have to say about a home nation, then so be it. We all can't agree on everything all the time.

I don't like England, and I've stated why I don't. I'm not beating around the bush about it.

I said that this week is going to go slow as everyone waits in anticipation for the WC to start, and emotions might get the better of us.

But just woosah!!

I could say a bunch of things about other countries and teams but they're not home nations so why bother saying it in this thread? Also I highly doubt it would get such a reaction if any from their local members. And if I get a response, I'd address it as well.

I'd hate for you to go, and I didn't intend to offend you. I apologise if you took offence.

There are just teams/nations who rub other teams/nations the wrong way. That's just part of humanity.

Yeah you mentioned Ireland in the home nations thread. It's obvious we don't belong in here!
Also feels like a nice time to point out that there is a thread for people who want to talk about poaching, it's a relevant topic and I've got nothing against people bringing it up but this thread is just another example of a discussion getting sidetracked by the same arguments again which I personally don't think is great for anyone.

https://www.therugbyforum.com/threads/the-residency-rule-thread.44519/

Also feels like a nice time to point out that there is a thread for people who want to talk about poaching, it's a relevant topic and I've got nothing against people bringing it up but this thread is just another example of a discussion getting sidetracked by the same arguments again which I personally don't think is great for anyone.

https://www.therugbyforum.com/threads/the-residency-rule-thread.44519/

Go look at the progress of the thread, I mentioned that as part of a bigger discussion, but I didn't hammer on and on about it afterwards, your fellow countrymen went on about that.

Just felt I had to point it out as it seems like I've alienated everyone in this thread. My bad

Go look at the progress of the thread, I mentioned that as part of a bigger discussion, but I didn't hammer on and on about it afterwards, your fellow countrymen went on about that.

Just felt I had to point it out as it seems like I've alienated everyone in this thread. My bad
Wasn't only directed at you tbh, the whole thing just frustrates me. (The English definitely aren't my countrymen though)

Geez, calm down boet. There's no need to swear and this warrants a warning for you.

This thread is about the home Nations. And I voiced my opinion. If you don't like what I have to say about a home nation, then so be it. We all can't agree on everything all the time.

I don't like England, and I've stated why I don't. I'm not beating around the bush about it.

I said that this week is going to go slow as everyone waits in anticipation for the WC to start, and emotions might get the better of us.

But just woosah!!

I could say a bunch of things about other countries and teams but they're not home nations so why bother saying it in this thread? Also I highly doubt it would get such a reaction if any from their local members. And if I get a response, I'd address it as well.

I'd hate for you to go, and I didn't intend to offend you. I apologise if you took offence.

There are just teams/nations who rub other teams/nations the wrong way. That's just part of humanity.
Fine. Rules are what they are. But I stand by everything I said.

Fine. Rules are what they are. But I stand by everything I said.

Madness. I agree with you

@TRF_heineken The Boar war, really? I think SA have got more recent issues than that. Hate Farrell, but to use arrogance, cockiness as an excuse to hate England is mad. All nations want to win games and would say the same words, this 'target on your back' is just nonsense. Just dislike us, its fine.

Thinking about it, I really really really want Wales to lose every game, but I blooming love Wales and want a strong Wales team. There's rivalry and disliking something/someone, and using that rivalry to motivate and for kudos. Or there is hatred and I think you've got some real not thinly vailed hatred against England Rugby and the country... When we play the Germans in football I really flipping hope Southgate doesn't mention the war to motivate our players. That would be horrible, and weak.

I'm off to the SA thread to list a lot of historical reasons, and rugby injustices to hate South Africa (I won't, I loved my two visits to SA)

Despite Wales' rather lacklustre performance in the warm ups, I think the home nations are in he best shape going into World Cup for years. Ireland, England and Wales will all be targeting a final and i think they are all capable to make it. I don't think Scotland are at the level of the others though, fair to often this current crop of players have promised a lot but failed to deliver.

Latest posts