• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

RWC Home nations chat

Madness. I agree with you

@TRF_heineken The Boar war, really? I think SA have got more recent issues than that. Hate Farrell, but to use arrogance, cockiness as an excuse to hate England is mad. All nations want to win games and would say the same words, this 'target on your back' is just nonsense. Just dislike us, its fine.

Thinking about it, I really really really want Wales to lose every game, but I blooming love Wales and want a strong Wales team. There's rivalry and disliking something/someone, and using that rivalry to motivate and for kudos. Or there is hatred and I think you've got some real not thinly vailed hatred against England Rugby and the country... When we play the Germans in football I really flipping hope Southgate doesn't mention the war to motivate our players. That would be horrible, and weak.

I'm off to the SA thread to list a lot of historical reasons, and rugby injustices to hate South Africa (I won't, I loved my two visits to SA)

What other reason could we use to despise England?? We can't use Brexit, or your currency, as ours are in the toilet, and with Brexit we have a chance to improve our export prices to Britain.

So we revert to something in the past. We can't use Apartheid, that was our own fault. So we go back a little bit more. Ah, the Boer War, now that was a crappy time. Ooh, look the redcoats, ja they were proper A**Holes, now we have something our grandparents can tell us to make us despise a sport team and build up a proper rivalry other than a yearly tournament because we're in the same hemisphere...

The hatred is symbolic guys. And it's just applicable to your sport teams. We hate the Aussies just as much, and that's why we cheer the Umpires during the Ashes...

What other reason could we use to despise England?? We can't use Brexit, or your currency, as ours are in the toilet, and with Brexit we have a chance to improve our export prices to Britain.

So we revert to something in the past. We can't use Apartheid, that was our own fault. So we go back a little bit more. Ah, the Boer War, now that was a crappy time. Ooh, look the redcoats, ja they were proper A**Holes, now we have something our grandparents can tell us to make us despise a sport team and build up a proper rivalry other than a yearly tournament because we're in the same hemisphere...

The hatred is symbolic guys. And it's just applicable to your sport teams. We hate the Aussies just as much, and that's why we cheer the Umpires during the Ashes...

Have a like :) Your explanation is way better than how it came across in the earlier posts. Keep it symbolic, and to our sports teams. I can live with that :D

now we have something our grandparents can tell us
How ******* old are your grandparents? The Boer War ended in 1902 so they have to be over 117 to even be alive during it ;)

Bah I like to beat Wales because of their brand of shite rugby, I like Wales and the people perfectly fine.

How ******* old are your grandparents? The Boer War ended in 1902 so they have to be over 117 to even be alive during it ;)

That's just how it started guys... It has evolved as time went by.

You guys are taking everything very literally these days...

So, you use The Boer war to get angry to go and play against all these poached players who's home nations had no involvement in said war?

I like to beat the Welsh because a few centuries ago some Welsh raiders hopped over the fence a shagged a whole field of sheep belonging to the uncle of my ancestors brothers friends wife.

Never forget the great Welsh sheep shag of 976! Or was it 1976...?

For what it's worth Heineken is mostly talking about Afrikaans speaking South Africans, English speaking South African's like myself aren't to bothered about the boer war, in fact some of my ancestors probably fought for the English. (I'll grant you Afrikaaners tend to be very talented rugby players and make up the vast majority of our squad)
Also the 90% of the population that isn't white almost certainly doesn't give a damn about the boer war.

That said we like to "hate" the English for the same reason that I dislike Manchester United or Barcelona, or even the Indian cricket team. It's human nature to root for an underdog, so take it as a compliment.

Also as a side note, are Ireland not part of the home nations? It's common parlance in SA to include them when referring to the home nations. I understand they aren't park of the UK (Southern Ireland anyway) and certainly not Great Britain, but in terms of the founding nations of rugby?

For what it's worth Heineken is mostly talking about Afrikaans speaking South Africans, English speaking South African's like myself aren't to bothered about the boer war, in fact some of my ancestors probably fought for the English. (I'll grant you Afrikaaners tend to be very talented rugby players and make up the vast majority of our squad)
Also the 90% of the population that isn't white almost certainly doesn't give a damn about the boer war.

That said we like to "hate" the English for the same reason that I dislike Manchester United or Barcelona, or even the Indian cricket team. It's human nature to root for an underdog, so take it as a compliment.

Also as a side note, are Ireland not part of the home nations? It's common parlance in SA to include them when referring to the home nations. I understand they aren't park of the UK (Southern Ireland anyway) and certainly not Great Britain, but in terms of the founding nations of rugby?

The Home nations are England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland. It's a political term that included the whole island of Ireland before our partial independence, the home nations championship is pre dated that independence which is probably the source of the confusion. While NI is part of the Irish rugby team it'd be wrong to call us a home nation because a significant portion of the fans and players aren't from, or want to be part of the home nations.

To be honest it's a fairly innocuous mistake, but just like including Ireland in the British isles it's a pet peeve of mine!

The Home nations are England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland. It's a political term that included the whole island of Ireland before our partial independence, the home nations championship is pre dated that independence which is probably the source of the confusion. While NI is part of the Irish rugby team it'd be wrong to call us a home nation because a significant portion of the fans and players aren't from, or want to be part of the home nations.

To be honest it's a fairly innocuous mistake, but just like including Ireland in the British isles it's a pet peeve of mine!
Ill be honest when i made this thread i meant it to include ireland as yes politics say not all of Ireland is part of Britain but from a rugby point of view id say there are 4 home nations. Yes maybe im wrong and wont be offended if you disagree with me just as i mean no offence.

Just want to go on record and say I also hate England for the beur war
Ill be honest when i made this thread i meant it to include ireland as yes politics say not all of Ireland is part of Britain but from a rugby point of view id say there are 4 home nations. Yes maybe im wrong and wont be offended if you disagree with me just as i mean no offence.
Home Nation's isn't an offensive moniker don't sweat it. Non Home Nation's thread was started for a jape. British Isles on the other hand.....

Yeah I know, no offense taken it obviously wasn't malicious and my replies were always jokey for the most part. There's not really a "rugby point of view" in my opinion though, it's just wrong. Especially when we have the "triple crown nations" as a better moniker with more recent relevant history in the sport.

Yeah, I think the misconception we have is because of the B&I Lions and that Ireland is always part of that group so we automatically assume that they are also a home nation.

To be perfectly honest, I don't think anybody in SA really cares about the boer war anymore. I was merely trying to explain how this hatred started it's manifestation. I think if you ask most Saffas who has been a rugby fan for the past 10-20 years, the general consensus will be that the Most hated teams in Rugby are the Pommies and the Aussies. Same goes for Cricket.

Oh, and I too despise Man Utd, but that's because I'm an Arsenal fan...

the Most hated teams in Rugby are the Pommies and the Aussies. Same goes for Cricket.

Oh, and I too despise Man Utd, but that's because I'm an Arsenal fan...
Strange as my Saffi mates dislike NZ the most in rugby and want them to lose more than any other team, Oz in cricket. They have had experience of living/working in UK though.

If you're an Arsenal fan shouldn't you "hate" Spurs the most?

Strange as my Saffi mates dislike NZ the most in rugby and want them to lose more than any other team, Oz in cricket. They have had experience of living/working in UK though.

If you're an Arsenal fan shouldn't you "hate" Spurs the most?

I should. But my brothers are all Man Utd Fans, and they love to rub it in my face. So yeah, Man Utd is my team I love to hate.

Latest posts