• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

RWC: Samoa - Wales (18-9-11, 15:30)

ah great. Lloyd Burns on - time for us to lose some more line outs. Good to see Jenkins back!

SHANE!
I thought Jon Davies had mucked that right up! Halfpenny has been superb since coming on.

Out of interest, have they got rid of the accidental offside rule? Every call that would normally be an accidental offside is being given as crossing now!

Thought Wales cocked that up then, thank god shane was there... Also the breakdown and high tackles have bit a bit dodgy high tackles gone unoticed etc.

I've searched the law book and rule 15.5g reads:
If a player is tackled near the goal line, that player may immediately reach out and ground the ball on or over the goal line to score a try or make a touch down.

Yes, you are allowed to do that, however once you come to a complete stop, you can't do anything except use your arms/upper body to place the ball, where as the Samoan player made a new movement which involved his entire body moving, in order to place the ball on the goal line.

I can't explain it well, but the call was correct.

What if there is a draw?

Last edited:
Phew! Not a pretty performance at all, was never really going to be, but a good win against a very touch Samoan team

its ok... Samoa will smash springboks 10009 nill to qualify instead

Great game. Wales deserved Winners, but they look beaten up, I've said it before - whoever takes the top 2 spots in this pool won't be in any shape for the semi's.

But Samoa have a got a big problem. Tasesa Lavea.

Absolutely gutted but it wasnt meant to be for us. Wales was just the better team. I too thought Rolland was letting us get away with stuff but Im not certain. I had a feeling we'd lose, before and during the game because despite things not going so well for Wales we didnt put them away. Wales shouldve have fed Jamie Roberts a bit more, hes on fire at the mo.

Still some games to go but I feel Wales and South Africa are going to go on through from our pool. We took on some injuries which is a concern for us considering our shallow depth, so it'll be interesting whether or not we recover from the loss and soldier on.

The better team won, bottom line.

Great game. Wales deserved Winners, but they look beaten up, I've said it before - whoever takes the top 2 spots in this pool won't be in any shape for the semi's.

But Samoa have a got a big problem. Tasesa Lavea.

Samoans didn't look like any spring chickens either - very tough and physical for both sides out there!
For me Halfpenny showed why he should have started the last two games imo, solid under high ball, good clearing boot on him, was a threat in attack and obviously set up Shanes try! He should start against Nambia, though can see him starting on the wing with Byrne at 15.
Hope Lydiate and Hooks injuries aren't too serious though! Huge pity about Lydiate, wasn't really that impressed with Andy Powell so lets hope he pulls through.

Well, Wales played poorly and won. Samoa played well and lost. Pretty much a reverse of last week but that's rugby. It was always going to be a difficult and scrappy game, but Wales have a tendancy to play well against the best teams and poorly against sides they should put away. There's a hard test to come against Fiji yet but if we win that there's a golden oppertunity to go far, we've beaten England and Ireland in the last few months and we can do it again.

Well done Samoa, you really beat us up today and deserved that lead you had. So relieved though! I bet we'll rest most of our players against Namibia, we'll be nackered after that!

As a welshman i watched the whole 80 minutes of that game feeling VERY nervous and i sit here now watching this negative rugby from england feeling very relieved.
Samoa were dangerous, very dangerous. In my opinion, they played the better rugby today and deserved the win more than wales. They were turning us over so often, they looked more threatening in attack and came closer to scoring more often than us. At the end of the day i'm still surprised that we won that game.
Very rarely did a string of phases go by where we didn't muck up and that meant we didn't get any momentum. Such a difficult game but i'm proud of our boys for coming through it with a win.

watching this negative rugby from england feel

what are you talking about? When we actually have the ball our rugby is as 'positive' as anyones. As much so as Wales who tend to crab their way across the pitch not going forward. We are giving penalties away in our eagerness to get the ball(We've had no possession or territory, what do you mean negative!?!) and about half of those calls I disagree with. Its just an annoying stereotype that people who arn't english go for without really understanding. It's ok though because Wales try to offload from time to time. 'The flair of Welsh rugby'; another equally erroneous stereotype

Wales performed no where near the standard of their defeat against South Africa last weekend. There were too many errors and their play lacked patience, Shane Williams was there to save them again.
An improvement is needed.

Latest posts