• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

RWC: Tonga - Canada (14-09-2011, 17:00)

Anyone notice that 'Go Canada' was trending quite highly on Twitter?
Also for the nerdier of you out there, opened up Minecraft to see 'KAAAAANAAAAADAAAAAA' emblazoned across the starting page :p

yeah i hate, HATE, HATE to admitt it here did, but did u see trainer break the line?

Yeah that was a key change Ryan was getting tired, but man did Smith play hard this game, I guess he wanted to make a statement in his last RWC. Pritchard was a warrior out there as well, and Hotson did well coming in for O'Toole for much of the game.

Chuffed for Canada, they really deserved that. Top effort up front that made the win. Ol' Beardy Flanker (don't know the name :lol) was everywhere.

You guys were right about the Canadian defence. Very physical, non-porous. The flankers were everywhere.

Van Der Merwe is a world class player. Does everything very well.
Monro more than answered the bell. He went after the guy who was supposed to run him over.

Tonga played a smart game. Just stuck to playing keep away and using they're forwards to slowly make the gain line.

Canada still doesn't look like itll beat France but hey if you're physical, play with heart and can counterattack well, you never know.

I would also like to point out that I made a thread before the game in the World Cup forum proclaiming Kleeberger as a hero. I have some very informative information in it.

Last edited:
First off, Kaplan "knocked on" during this game. Horrid officiating.

Beyond that, how bout Kleeberger!?!?! With that beard he was surely channelling the mythical powers of Zeus during that match. Somebody sign him now.

Also, for all the talk about how the Tongan forwards would have their way with Canada, that sure didn't materialize. Canada retained 95% (or so it seemed) of their possession on the set piece, it's hard to complain about that given where our forwards were last year.

Oh, and hopefully O'Toole's injury isn't too serious. We need him.

Things that I think
-While Smith played really well (hey, I was shocked too), the turning point of the game was Conor Trainor's line break. The kid better get the start against France.
-DTH is world class.
-Buydens had a fantastic game with ball in hand and didn't go backwards in the scrum. A warrior effort by him today for the full 80 minutes.
-Will the Tongan that tripped Pritchard be cited?
-Justin Marshall sure fell in love with Kleeberger (and his beard).
-Cudmore was a beast on defence and in the set piece. Him, Kleebs, and Carpenter were Canada's best forwards.

Bring on France!

What about Monro as well, a hidden gem in this game, some brilliant penalty kicking for touch, and the commentators even pointed out some genious on his part.

DTH was in my fantasy team

stroke of genious

really happy watching that game, great game, good on the Canadians, eh

loved this game!!! good on ya canada!! Kleeberger you are da maan!!!! good leader! did anyone see that hit he pulled off 5m out from their line..off the scrum? straight from the text book!

What about Monro as well, a hidden gem in this game, some brilliant penalty kicking for touch, and the commentators even pointed out some genious on his part.

Yeah, he was fantastic too, there wasn't a single Canadian player on the pitch tonight that played badly. Now that it's 1:30am here I would normally get to bed, but fortunately, I just got a memo from Kleeberger's beard telling me to watch Scotland v. Georgia. I better listen.

Probably the best game Canada has played since the win against France "A" last year.

Yeah, he was fantastic too, there wasn't a single Canadian player on the pitch tonight that played badly. Now that it's 1:30am here I would normally get to bed, but fortunately, I just got a memo from Kleeberger's beard telling me to watch Scotland v. Georgia. I better listen.

Probably the best game Canada has played since the win against France "A" last year.

It's 3:30 am here and I can't sleep so excited, this is what's great about Rugby a classic encounter between two sides with heart and soul.

Fantastic result for Canada :D
I ended up getting some sleep during this math (took everything I have to get out of bed for this Scotland match on now) but I'll have to watch this match later :D

Beyond that, how bout Kleeberger!?!?! With that beard he was surely channelling the mythical powers of Zeus during that match. Somebody sign him now.

Also, for all the talk about how the Tongan forwards would have their way with Canada, that sure didn't materialize. Canada retained 95% (or so it seemed) of their possession on the set piece, it's hard to complain about that given where our forwards were last year.

Things that I think
-While Smith played really well (hey, I was shocked too), the turning point of the game was Conor Trainor's line break. The kid better get the start against France.
-DTH is world class.
-Buydens had a fantastic game with ball in hand and didn't go backwards in the scrum. A warrior effort by him today for the full 80 minutes.
-Cudmore was a beast on defence and in the set piece. Him, Kleebs, and Carpenter were Canada's best forwards.

Bring on France!

See with Smith, it's all about positive thinking. I was positive and he wasn't terrible. ahahhaa

I agree Trainor needs to play. I was very impressed with our physicality. I hope we have a similar first half with France as the States had with Ireland. Ireland was flustered by the USA defence. The main difference is Canada is better in they're loosies, open play defence and counterattacking. France has also already had some difficultly with Japan. I still expect France to win but stranger things have happened.

Things look good for the future though. In Canada's 30 man squad, 16 were 25 or under at the beginning of the year.

Last edited:
See with Smith, it's all about positive thinking. I was positive and he wasn't terrible. ahahhaa

I agree Trainor needs to play. I was very impressed with our physicality. I hope we have a similar first half with France as the States had with Ireland. Ireland was flustered by the USA defence. The main difference is Canada is better in they're loosies, open play defence and counterattacking. France has also already had some difficultly with Japan. I still expect France to win but stranger things have happened.

All the more reason to include Evans and Trainor in the starting XV. They're dynamite in open play.

Things that I think
-DTH is world class.

Bring on France!

agree...start of this match i was thinking tonga was going to dominate in the forwards...wasnt the case...canadas forwards look like they all play in the NH comps

Latest posts