• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[RWC19 Warm-Up] - New Zealand vs. Tonga

Last edited:
Games like this are very bad for rugby. We don't need cricket scores. A global season will be great, and then there can maybe be tiers, and if you are good enough after a while, play in the top tier.

Games like this are very bad for rugby. We don't need cricket scores. A global season will be great, and then there can maybe be tiers, and if you are good enough after a while, play in the top tier.
I agree but the global season is a honey trap put out by WR. We are as close to it as holidaying on the moon.

bit of a bashing but Tonga did get better as the game went on and they held the AB's scoreless for the last 15min, their defense and restarts looked more organized as the game went on. Ignoring the scoreline i think they got some value from this game. I think the issue is they need a couple more games to get their game going but I think they have England first up?

The AB's are building well I think, passes are sticking, players seem to be coming into form. Ben Smith looked sharp against fresh Tongan legs, Tuipulotu backed up with another Physically imposing effort. Savea was rampant and Todd was a menace. Laulala showed a few nice touches and his mobility proving again why he's ahead of franks, there was even a couple of times he was first at the ruck after a breakout and played halfback, really nice offload. Also showing that our scrum still has a ton of power. Crotty was sharp, ALB was great again. I think what ever our #1 midfield paring is ALB is definitely one part of it.

Bridge and Reece ripped the park up again, Bridge clocked up almost 250 running meters?? Jordie Barrett had some nice touches and one great try saver, handy effort from Luke some strong direct carrying and solid defense. A lot of the early attacking dominance was orchestrated by TJP nicely.

Probably most importantly the AB's seem to have come away without any injuries. Though Scott Barrett was favoring his injured right hand and was not shaking hands with it after the game.

Ah great, NZ got a practice run to work on their attack. Yeah, because that's where they have problems....

What a dull affair. Just set up a phase and run through for the try. No training on defensive structures, no scrummaging or line-out training, and very little ruck interaction.

Ah great, NZ got a practice run to work on their attack. Yeah, because that's where they have problems....

What a dull affair. Just set up a phase and run through for the try. No training on defensive structures, no scrummaging or line-out training, and very little ruck interaction.
Very little ruck interaction yet we looked dicey there. Not enough to have provided us a lesson, just enough to cause worry for the next clash.
LOL. There were 2 players in the starting 15 born in the lslands, Reece and Laulala. Yea mate stacked with poached talent
but there were frizell Fifita and FekitoA all unable to play for Tonga despite being born there

That's exactly where a lot of people have been saying the AB's were rusty, not making anywhere near as many breaks or scoring as many tries as "normal"

despite the scoreline Tonga did well. wasnt all one way traffic and ikaleTahi turned over quite a few rucks. Tonga gave ABs a better beat up in 2011 but this game wouldve been good for Tonga.
they wont allow a score like this again .England wont get a Tonga side anywhere near as easy as this game.

Seems Hansen prefers Bridge and Reece over Reiko Ioane since they are both the inform wingers.

Possible back three could be against the Springboks
11.Bridge
14.Reece
15.Smith

Rieko is carrying a minor injury, a lot will depend on how he performs on the training park. If he seems to get his mojo back similar to how Ben Smith has been tracking I think he will be selected.
it is a tricky situation, the only real test the AB's are going to have in pool play is the Boks first up. Italy and Canada should be a better test than the Tongan game. They should be a good chance to have a look at players, Italy being the last game before the finals start. Going to be interesting to see the selection for the Bok game. Both teams will want to win but its not the end of the world. AB's still have some tinkering to do, And will Richie be rished for this game if he's still not 100%?

I say that but there is always a chance that games will be lost due to the weather. There are no reserve days for games if a match is washed out before it starts or in the first half the points will be split. Hopefully this typhoon will clear and the weather will come right but any team that has games wash out wont want to drop any games they actually get to play. Dont think it will be a factor but you never know.

Rieko is carrying a minor injury, a lot will depend on how he performs on the training park. If he seems to get his mojo back similar to how Ben Smith has been tracking I think he will be selected.
it is a tricky situation, the only real test the AB's are going to have in pool play is the Boks first up. Italy and Canada should be a better test than the Tongan game. They should be a good chance to have a look at players, Italy being the last game before the finals start. Going to be interesting to see the selection for the Bok game. Both teams will want to win but its not the end of the world. AB's still have some tinkering to do, And will Richie be rished for this game if he's still not 100%?

I say that but there is always a chance that games will be lost due to the weather. There are no reserve days for games if a match is washed out before it starts or in the first half the points will be split. Hopefully this typhoon will clear and the weather will come right but any team that has games wash out wont want to drop any games they actually get to play. Dont think it will be a factor but you never know.

I think the risk more lies in can we afford to play Barrett at 10 against the Boks? His kicking on the weekend was very ordinary, under no pressure and gave it back to Tonga a number of times. Under the pressure of rush defense he defaults to chips and grubbers which usually are ineffective and do nothing more than hand possession over (the odd bit of magic excepted). Would so much prefer him at 15, I think it maximises his talents and minimises his weaknesses. The real shame is he hasn't been playing at 15 his whole career!

Depending on how Rieko goes behind closed doors etc I suspect we may see him start at 11, with the back 3 of 11. Ioane, 14. Reece, 15. Barrett. Would have so much pace and X-factor.

yeah the kicking wasn't great but against the boks there will be a more detailed gameplan for kicking and more of it will be done by the halfback. Seemed against Tonga that Ben Smith was coming in and doing some of the kicking too, I think ALB kicked once and it got charged? I think ALB can take more of the kicking I think when we dont have McKenzie/Richie there with Barrett we lose that 2nd top shelf kicking option that splits the attention and barrett becomes more of a target. Kicking is for sure the #1 work on from the Tonga game. But as I said I think it will be a focus of the gameplan much like it was in that last aussie test.

His kicking on the weekend was very ordinary,
WTF barretts kicking was awesome . none of his kicks were easy , all from the sideline and he nailed them all bar 1. his tactical kicking during the game was good.

WTF barretts kicking was awesome . none of his kicks were easy , all from the sideline and he nailed them all bar 1. his tactical kicking during the game was good.

My mistake for the lack of clarity - I meant his kicking from hand in general play. Several aimless chips/grubbers that did nothing but hand possession over.

His goal kicking I think we can all agree is very hot and cold. One week he can be perfect, the next dire. In tight games that is not the sort of goal kicker you want.

His goal kicking I think we can all agree is very hot and cold. One week he can be perfect, the next dire. In tight games that is not the sort of goal kicker you want.
barretts goal kicking keeps getting brought up but he's just as good as mounga. barrett hasnt had a kicking meltdown in over a year that i can remember

Beauden is a good goal kicker, but there can be inconsistency at times. Compared to Richie I see him more reliable in those tight grind matches where defense dominates and teams have less attacking opportunities, that would probably occur during the RWC.

Beauden is a good goal kicker, but there can be inconsistency at times. Compared to Richie I see him more reliable in those tight grind matches where defense dominates and teams have less attacking opportunities, that would probably occur during the RWC.
Except he doesn't kick well under pressure.
My mistake for the lack of clarity - I meant his kicking from hand in general play. Several aimless chips/grubbers that did nothing but hand possession over.

i agree there were a few bad kicks
I think the risk more lies in can we afford to play Barrett at 10 against the Boks? His kicking on the weekend was very ordinary, under no pressure and gave it back to Tonga a number of times. Under the pressure of rush defense he defaults to chips and grubbers which usually are ineffective and do nothing more than hand possession over (the odd bit of magic excepted). Would so much prefer him at 15, I think it maximises his talents and minimises his weaknesses. The real shame is he hasn't been playing at 15 his whole career!

Depending on how Rieko goes behind closed doors etc I suspect we may see him start at 11, with the back 3 of 11. Ioane, 14. Reece, 15. Barrett. Would have so much pace and X-factor.
As Steve likes to point out, Beauden has had time at fullback in most of his many tests
despite the scoreline Tonga did well. wasnt all one way traffic and ikaleTahi turned over quite a few rucks. Tonga gave ABs a better beat up in 2011 but this game wouldve been good for Tonga.
they wont allow a score like this again .England wont get a Tonga side anywhere near as easy as this game.
and they were close to turning over more. A bit of a worry for us .

Latest posts