• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[RWC2019][Pool A] Round 4 - Japan vs. Scotland (13/10/2019)

If Japan manage to beat South Africa, im supporting them in this WC... even against NZ

It's a tough one with Scotland as Vern Cotter definitely made serious progress with them and I do believe that if he had stayed in charge until now they would've qualified through the group (be it at Ireland or Japan's expense).

Toonie had/has this romantic idea about the game and he justifies it by saying it best suits the players he has available. Well I disagree and reckon Vern, Schmidt, Warren or Eddie would get more w's playing a more 'boring'/pragmatic style with those same players if I'm honest... while Toonie is just building the appropriate narrative to justify the use of 'his' (frankly crazy under the circumstances) ideology.

I take no pleasure in ragging on him or the Scots too much right now but... I would simply judge Gregor as a fantastic Backs/Attack coach as long as he was part of a coaching team that would be wrangled by pragmatism.

Selections and tactics are the main issues.

As much as Townsend says he wants to play a free-flowing, pacy style, he doesn't really back it up with his selection. Leaving Rory Hutchinson and Huw Jones in favour of Pete Horne (who was pretty awful BTW) and Chris Harris seems completely at odds with the style they were trying to play? Similarly, Duncan Taylor was a fine player pre-injury, but given the amount of time he's had on the sidelines, picking him seemed like a unnecessary risk that was always unlikely to bring that much reward.

A fit Hamish Watson, Sam Skinner and Ali Price would have helped, but I don't think they'd have made enough of a difference.

Still, there's a decent platform to build on. Ditch the deadwood and build around younger players like Ritchie, Graham and Hutchison.

It was a exciting match. But in reality i always knew that Scotland were not going to make it. Japan are brilliant to watch. They have so much to offer. i can see them giving anybody a tough game. But they would not have enough to beat one of them. Japan have been the shining light in 2 World cups now.

like or hate superRugy you gotta admit that its played at test rugby pace. blossoms have gained heaps being in super. shame theyre leaving

no regrets staying up to watch that one, that was just really fun to watch, I agree with Icemn, if they can get past RSA then they're going to have a lot of support

Question, when and how does a country go from classed as tier 2 to tier 1, is this based purely on a certain amount of points? asking in relation to Japan...

Im not sure what the official definition is...might be a vibe kind of deal

They have a good domestic comp and get results against bonefide tier 1 teams...they have to be some criteria in their favour

I thought the criteria was about whether you have extra representation on the World Rugby board. Something like tier 2 only have representation via the continental associations, but tier 1 countries have additional representation in their own right. You become tier 1 when World Rugby give you your own representative.

In practical terms, they only give you a representative when they add you to the Six Nations or Rugby Championship.

I thought the criteria was about whether you have extra representation on the World Rugby board. Something like tier 2 only have representation via the continental associations, but tier 1 countries have additional representation in their own right. You become tier 1 when World Rugby give you your own representative.

In practical terms, they only give you a representative when they add you to the Six Nations or Rugby Championship.
surely if that's the case a representative from such a potentially large market isn't out of the question

It's a pipe dream but the thought of full strength Japan and Fiji in the rugby championship arouses me.

Man what an exciting game of rugby that was and after all this confusion and bad light cast by cancelling games this is exactly what this world cup needed to get it back on track.

SA have tough task , these men are devoted to going all the way and with that support behind them it's like a 16th man, sure the boks are favs but Japan can cause them issues as long as they are accurate with the offload play , Japan's defence impressed me this game too , bit underrated.

On a side not I just hope Wales don't turn into Scotland when Pivac takes over after this WC..

It's a pipe dream but the thought of full strength Japan and Fiji in the rugby championship arouses me.
I don't see why not , geographically it's not an issue and bring some much needed strength to that competition. I would definitely devote some time to watching the RC if they did bring in Japan and Fiji , 2 incredibly exciting teams to watch.

The more i think about it the more awesome those Japanese tries were, Inagaki's ability to strip the ball, regather and then outpace everyone was pretty cool

I don't see why not , geographically it's not an issue and bring some much needed strength to that competition. I would definitely devote some time to watching the RC if they did bring in Japan and Fiji , 2 incredibly exciting teams to watch.
Japan is feasible financially, not Fiji.

Question, when and how does a country go from classed as tier 2 to tier 1, is this based purely on a certain amount of points? asking in relation to Japan...
Tiers aren't official at all, so there's not official classification.

Generally, nations involved in the 6N and QN are tier 1. Nations who can put together (more or less)a full RWC squad of professional players are tier 2. Nations who would rely on semi-professional to make a team are tier 3.
But it's a fan definition, and different fans have their own definitions (another "common" one is an ever changing one, depends in where you can see a jump in world ranking points)

Last edited:
It should just be top 10 = first tier, 10-20 = second etc.

Last edited:
Question: Where are the new Scottish posters giving **** if the game was cancelled? I've been on holiday but I haven't seen them post anything since the match ended.

Question: Where are the new Scottish posters giving **** if the game was cancelled? I've been on holiday but I haven't seen them post anything since the match ended.
They were only ever going to be here for the World Cup, the World Cup is over so...

No idea but remaining Scotland fans are grumbling on the inquest thread. Scotland showed what happens when you mess with the 4 year cycle. Other than the England games, we've not really turned in a performance under Townsend. Laidlaw and Barclay should be thanked for their service and waved on their way. We need to reassess our centres as Duncan Taylor was a gamble that did not pay off at this tournament. Most teams have one guaranteed centre starting (of not both positions) while Scotland continued to experiment through the World Cup. It's no surprise really given we didn't adopt the 4 year cycle.

Latest posts