• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[RWC2019][Pool B] Round 1 - New Zealand vs. South Africa (21/09/2019)

IMHO, this is the best First Round match in RWC and it's a hard one to pick because both sides are so good. But I'll go with New Zealand in a close one. Kiwis by 3.

Last edited:
Beware the underestimated All Black, there was very similar chatter before the 2015 QF (Abs did look average in the group stage)

I don't like this talking of kicking to the opposition wingers. If that is our approach to this game I might have to change my Superbru from SA by 2 to NZ by 8..

IMO our kicks should be seeking to set up a line-out or if there is space in behind and the chase is on then go for it but please no giving away of possession to the likes of Reece and Bridge with Barrett in support!?

Honestly I'm amazed NZ persisted with Barrett @ 10, I'm a little surprised he's a twice world player of the year.....he's never looked that great to me and whilst anyone would be a step down from Carter I don't think when I've watched him play the top Northern Hemiphere teams he ever particularly impresses. Honestly think he's a bit of armchair ride 10 with better players around him making look good a crucial role.

in the last game they didn't really tell us who had been left out due to injury so they probably won't reveal it this time either. Ione could be injured, goodhue could be injured, but I think this is what they think is the best team, for this game. Smith and Ione will have the chance to regain form hence their positions but you have to pick the in form players for this game.

I will definitely be watching keenly any high balls to Reece, as I've rarely seen anyone challenge him in that regard.

I'm also suspecting now that Todd has only been in the bench in the last few games due to Jacobson having concussion issues.

I'm worried about the end of the game, I feel like the Boks have a stronger bench, the front row in particular along with Snyman. Steyn is a good option to help win a game with the boot at the end.

The Boks Bench looks very strong, plenty of experience in there especially the forwards. Our bench compared to them is our forwards are lacking experience in test caps.

Just signed up the the Superbru, haven't done it for a few years!

All right. Made my picks into round 2 as I'm going away for the long weekend. Hopefully my guesses don't discredit my opinions going forward overly much..

I suppose bragging rights are worth something!

So here my Saturday morning...

Going on a week's leave to Balitto bay on the Natal North Coast in South Africa.
My son and I will be leaving home at 03H30 in order to be at the holiday flat at 11AM and be in time for the game, our starting time is 11H45
Our diet will consist of biltong and energy drinks only

My daughter is still dancing on the international stage and she and my wife will fly down next Wednesday
Us buys going to have a ball until then :)
Sunday just watching World Cup games while having a braai on the patio and later going to the beach

So here my Saturday morning...

Going on a week's leave to Balitto bay on the Natal North Coast in South Africa.
My son and I will be leaving home at 03H30 in order to be at the holiday flat at 11AM and be in time for the game, our starting time is 11H45
Our diet will consist of biltong and energy drinks only

My daughter is still dancing on the international stage and she and my wife will fly down next Wednesday
Us buys going to have a ball until then :)
Sunday just watching World Cup games while having a braai on the patio and later going to the beach

Nice!

My Saturday consists of.

Wake up early without waking wifey and the kids (they had their tonsils removed yesterday), and catch the Australia vs. Fiji game.

Then catch a shower and get dressed, give the kids their breakfast, get them dressed and off to Ouma. Drop off the kids at Ouma's house. Go back home, fetch wifey, leave for bela-bela at the latest at 10:00 arrive at my friend's wedding venue, at 11:15 drop off wifey at the spa, and make a beeline for the bar along with the other fellas. Watch the Bokke vs. NZ, then go to my cabin, get dressed for the wedding and celebrate late into the night!

That's probably the strongest team the All Blacks could have come up with at the moment, given the absence of Retallick and Squire.

However, questions may be raised if it would not have been better to playing Scott Barret at 6 to counter the big Boks carriers/increase NZ height at the line out and have Ardie setting the game on fire in the second half, while also starting with Ben Smith at 15 and leaving Mo'unga or Barrett on the bench to spark the last 25 minutes of the game. I feel like this ABs bench, moreover in the absence of a player like McKenzie, does not have a genuine game breaker like in 2015, for instance.

Can't wait for Saturday! Come on you, All Blacks!

That's probably the strongest team the All Blacks could have come up with at the moment, given the absence of Retallick and Squire.

However, questions may be raised if it would not have been better to playing Scott Barret at 6 to counter the big Boks carriers/increase NZ height at the line out and have Ardie setting the game on fire in the second half, while also starting with Ben Smith at 15 and leaving Mo'unga or Barrett on the bench to spark the last 25 minutes of the game. I feel like this ABs bench, moreover in the absence of a player like McKenzie, does not have a genuine game breaker like in 2015, for instance.

Well, Barrett and SBW were the supersubs and line breakers back in 2015. They are still there today, with SBW back in the supersub role. What this team doesn't have compared to 2015 is McCaw, Kaino, Carter, Nonu/Smith.

Last edited:

Not only that but i think we have relied on superior fitness for the last 15 or so years, but of late that isn't so true. This has been a key factor that has allowed the supersubs to have the impact they have had. Other teams are fitter now, and we may be struggling to win the territory and possession battle late in this game against a stronger scrum.

We have to rely more on getting points earlier and then closing the game out. Ben Smith is good for that And, with respect, game smarts are valuable late in the game against tired defences too.

Not only that but i think we have relied on superior fitness for the last 15 or so years, but of late that isn't so true. This has been a key factor that has allowed the supersubs to have the impact they have had. Other teams are fitter now, and we may be struggling to win the territory and possession battle late in this game against a stronger scrum.

We have to rely more on getting points earlier and then closing the game out. Ben Smith is good for that And, with respect, game smarts are valuable late in the game against tired defences too.

i also think of late that I have not seen the ABs score as many tries off of turnover ball, which they were so lethal at 4 years ago. Maybe teams have gotten wise to it more.

i also think of late that I have not seen the ABs score as many tries off of turnover ball, which they were so lethal at 4 years ago. Maybe teams have gotten wise to it more.
Good point. And I believe you are right. I have some inside knowledge to support that but I can't share because it was given to me by an ist and analytics company who make money from providing rugby and cricket analysis. Certainly they have helped teams minimise tries conceded off turnovers by seeing what the teams who concede the least do. And what that had shown is that there are some consistent tactics some teams employ in this regard.

I also think having SBW's size in the midfield would help blunt the big bok ball carriers early in the game
agree our midfield is small BUT theyre smart. id have the rugby intelligence of crotty and ALB vs boks midfield bruisers any day. whilst a straight confrontation between our midfield and theirs means were giving up mass muscle and strength, everywhere else in the game and the field crotty and ALB have the versatility to handle every situation nad make something out of nothing.
ALBs damage control is right up there with conradSmiths. crotty adjusts and reads really well. both are awesome defenders.
whilst the boks may have big bruising ball carriers, they still cant run with their legs chopped out from under them.

Last edited:
All right. Made my picks into round 2 as I'm going away for the long weekend. Hopefully my guesses don't discredit my opinions going forward overly much..

I suppose bragging rights are worth something!

could the forum ad a badge or something to the superbru champ?

Latest posts