• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[RWC2019][Pool B] Round 1 - New Zealand vs. South Africa (21/09/2019)

Having a good look through that lineup again I stand corrected and a bit bemused. I never thought Frans Steyn was in the squad as fly-half back up. At least, not as 1st choice back up. TBH I'd have been more comfortable with a punt on Willemse's youth. SA 10 is a very tasty target now.

Having a good look through that lineup again I stand corrected and a bit bemused. I never thought Frans Steyn was in the squad as fly-half back up. At least, not as 1st choice back up. TBH I'd have been more comfortable with a punt on Willemse's youth. SA 10 is a very tasty target now.

I don't get the issue with regards to Frans Steyn on the bench, regardless of what position he's going to play. This has been the longest he's been in the Bok setup since 2011. He's just as fit as any other player in the squad by now, and the last couple of games he featured he didn't disappoint. He can still kick 60m at goal. He's defensively just as good as any other option we have, if not better. And should Mo'unga not play, and Barrett be on flyhalf, he's perfect for the role to bash his channel.

I have a feeling that Pollard is going to play The full 80 minutes though, and with Steyn and Kriel on the bench we cover every position possible for the backline.

My main issue with Steyn at 10 is his clearance kicks and the frequency he was charged down but I suppose Le Roux can come in to take those.

My main issue with Steyn at 10 is his clearance kicks and the frequency he was charged down but I suppose Le Roux can come in to take those.

We have Faf there too, as well as Kolbe and De Allende who isn't too bad with kicking.

That said, I have a feeling that Faf will be the main kicker in general play for us in the game.

I don't get the issue with regards to Frans Steyn on the bench, regardless of what position he's going to play. This has been the longest he's been in the Bok setup since 2011. He's just as fit as any other player in the squad by now, and the last couple of games he featured he didn't disappoint. He can still kick 60m at goal. He's defensively just as good as any other option we have, if not better. And should Mo'unga not play, and Barrett be on flyhalf, he's perfect for the role to bash his channel.

I have a feeling that Pollard is going to play The full 80 minutes though, and with Steyn and Kriel on the bench we cover every position possible for the backline.
I know we differ on this Hein so I'll try not to harp on it this WC but it's not just about fitness. I basically just don't rate him at all, he's a decent basher when a bit meaty but he's lost a lot of pace so isn't as dangerous an attacking player as he used to be, therefore he's ONLY really in the squad for his big boot.
I just think using your 22 jersey for a big boot, when you already have Handre Pollard in your side is pointless.

Considering we could add some young flair like Willemse or Bosch, or at the very least an alternative game-style like Jantjies offers, it just doesn't make any sense to me.

The only answer basically comes down to the fact that he's a world cup winner and has a ton of experience, but I just have a hard time seeing him as someone who inspires other players considering he's shown signs of being a prima donna at worst and at the very least a quiet personality at best.

Anyway I'll shut up about Frans Steyn from now on.

this is going to epic. but i cant help feel that the boks are being underestimated.
i dont think theyll fall back on the kick and defense pressure gameplan. i reckon theyre going to hang onto it more and run the fringes then unleash their backs.
all media saying theyll go back to their 2011 gameplan are just plain wrong. rassie has this team humming and i expect to see more 15 man rugby from the boks than usual.
not sure the ABs are ready for a boks team that can play expansively as well as tight

More dynamic front row on the bench, perfect decision for what is going to be a tiring and slower game in the conditions.
Frans with his bulk and kicking abilities in this game, no problem with him on the bench, even as sub at 12 late in the game
Kriel also a great sub with his natural strength when most will be dead tired late game

Bring it on

for what is going to be a tiring and slower game in the conditions.
i dont think the ABs will go for a slower game. imho what the ABs will do is pass the ball around heaps, offloads and passing off the ground, constantly changing the point of attack and making the boks chase them in wet slippery conditions. ABs will try and play a free flowing game and force the boks to keep up.
either way it will be entertaining. the 2 most bruising teams going at each other with brutality but also heaps of skill and respect.
i pray both teams play awesome with a lot of self expression and no injuries.

I'm not going to get into the Frans Steyn debate, in an attempt to keep the peace with my fellow countrymen but I would like to say that I am very delighted that he is in the squad and all I can say is, let's judge him after the World Cup as he is in now and Rassie is going to pick him throughout the World Cup as he brings that versatility in almost every aspect that also affords Rassie to pick more forwards.

No point in having a dedicated ten backup if you plan on keeping Pollard on for the full 80. Rather have a World Cup winner backup the whole backline.

Nkosi is definitely a better defender than Mapimpi. People who say Mapimpi is better at defence has clearly not watched these two play together in Super rugby and just formed their opinion based on two or three Internationals. With that said I love Mapimpi and I'm so glad for him that he has been chosen, I can understand why Nkosi has been left out as good as he is but I don't like it when people start to diss the one player as an explanation for why another starts.

this is going to epic. but i cant help feel that the boks are being underestimated.
i dont think theyll fall back on the kick and defense pressure gameplan. i reckon theyre going to hang onto it more and run the fringes then unleash their backs.
all media saying theyll go back to their 2011 gameplan are just plain wrong. rassie has this team humming and i expect to see more 15 man rugby from the boks than usual.
not sure the ABs are ready for a boks team that can play expansively as well as tight
I dont think many kiwis are underestimating them, most people ive talked to are working out the permutations if we loose

I dont think many kiwis are underestimating them, most people ive talked to are working out the permutations if we loose
good. im glad fans arent but the media seems to think boks will revert back to kick and bash. that is way over simplified of what the boks have in store.
boks have so moved on from those tactics and are a much better side than they were in 2011.
they have quality backs that can unleash alot of bash with skill power and speed. and of course a forward pack that can easily take it to the ABs.
this will be a massive epic game

1. Joe Moody (41)

2. Dane Coles (64)

3. Nepo Laulala (20)

4. Samuel Whitelock (112)

5. Scott Barrett (32)

6. Ardie Savea (34)

7. Sam Cane (63)

8. Kieran Read - captain (122)

9. Aaron Smith (87)

10. Richie Mo'unga (12)

11. George Bridge (5)

12. Ryan Crotty (45)

13. Anton Lienert-Brown (38)

14. Sevu Reece (3)

15. Beauden Barrett (78)

16. Codie Taylor (45)

17. Ofa Tuungafasi (30)

18. Angus Ta'avao (8)

19. Patrick Tuipulotu (25)

20. Shannon Frizell (5)

21. TJ Perenara (59)

22. Sonny Bill Williams (53)

23. Ben Smith (80)

ok then, Hansen sees richie/beauden as the way forward

1. Joe Moody (41)

2. Dane Coles (64)

3. Nepo Laulala (20)

4. Samuel Whitelock (112)

5. Scott Barrett (32)

6. Ardie Savea (34)

7. Sam Cane (63)

8. Kieran Read - captain (122)

9. Aaron Smith (87)

10. Richie Mo'unga (12)

11. George Bridge (5)

12. Ryan Crotty (45)

13. Anton Lienert-Brown (38)

14. Sevu Reece (3)

15. Beauden Barrett (78)

16. Codie Taylor (45)

17. Ofa Tuungafasi (30)

18. Angus Ta'avao (8)

19. Patrick Tuipulotu (25)

20. Shannon Frizell (5)

21. TJ Perenara (59)

22. Sonny Bill Williams (53)

23. Ben Smith (80)

10/15 dual playmakers Hansen seems to really like this style

Interesting midfield... that is a pretty good looking bench (outside of Ta'avao who continues to worry me).

I rate Richie at 10, especially in the conditions that are being predicted. I don't think the ABs will win this RWC with Barrett as their primary 10.

I think the Bok forwards and forward subs are better than ABs, so it's Bok win for me. Going to be an absolute belter.

Latest posts