• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

South Africa vs New Zealand

So Willemse high tackle wasn't upgraded to red then.
Looks like a full strength Bok team apart from the centres and Kolbe missing.

So Willemse high tackle wasn't upgraded to red then.
Looks like a full strength Bok team apart from the centres and Kolbe missing.
Depends. Apart from the centers and Kolbe, I don't think Mostert is 1st choice. I also believe Le Roux is considered our 1st choice fullback.

Its up for debate whether Faf and Mapimpi are 1st choice ATM but that is leaning towards personal opinion rather than what I believe the reality is for Nienaber and co. Here we might see Mbonambi as 1st choice from a coaching team POV as apart from these last two games Mbonambi has been the go-to starter. Also seems to be an open secret that we are going to announce Pollard as available.

But its good to have a close to full strength side with giving a few wider options game time. IE I like the balance of the team. I am particularly excited to see Moodie at 13 even though Kriel has gone well it'd be good to depth at 13 as extra cover because I don't think Am or De Jager will make ala Pollard.

Expecting a good one this weekend. I'm interested to see what team the ABs pick. For some reason, I feel like NZ will pick a mix and match side and rest some key players. I hope not though. Frizell and Retallick are unavailable for sure but wonder whether Savea, Mo'unga and a couple of others get rested.

Depends. Apart from the centers and Kolbe, I don't think Mostert is 1st choice. I also believe Le Roux is considered our 1st choice fullback.

Its up for debate whether Faf and Mapimpi are 1st choice ATM but that is leaning towards personal opinion rather than what I believe the reality is for Nienaber and co. Here we might see Mbonambi as 1st choice from a coaching team POV as apart from these last two games Mbonambi has been the go-to starter. Also seems to be an open secret that we are going to announce Pollard as available.

But its good to have a close to full strength side with giving a few wider options game time. IE I like the balance of the team. I am particularly excited to see Moodie at 13 even though Kriel has gone well it'd be good to depth at 13 as extra cover because I don't think Am or De Jager will make ala Pollard.
Has Moodie played at 13 before?

Has Moodie played at 13 before?
Not professional rugby, no. At least not as far as I'm aware of but he has experience there at age grade and just seems a natural fit- reads well on the defense. Possibly a bit young for center at test level and he is certainly thrown in at the deep end here. We'll see, I guess.

Bought my new Springboks jersey on Saturday and am looking forward to attending this one in person. Second Springboks vs All Blacks game I'm attending at Twickenham but hoping for a better result than last time.

What is very impressive by Neinaber and Rassie is the depth they have created going into this World Cup. For this game, we have kept only one player constant in our backline, switched out our locks and a loose forward... and I don't feel like either the team last week or this week is weaker (albeit Moodie is experimental). Plus we can just switch out our front row completely and not much difference happens there.

Do we know who our best starting XV is.... probably not... But we have 2 to 3 players in each position that can do an almost equivalent job... Except for flyhalf where if we lose Libbok we have no choice but to draft in match unfit Pollard.

Not professional rugby, no. At least not as far as I'm aware of but he has experience there at age grade and just seems a natural fit- reads well on the defense. Possibly a bit young for center at test level and he is certainly thrown in at the deep end here. We'll see, I guess.
Look what the you tube algorithm found for me.
Remarkable. I didn't have to search for it

Craziest thing is that is Currie cup U20s and he looks like a man amongst boys. Usually you'll see guys do that in high school but he's playing at a different speed against other academy players.

Nice!

Now we have to wait till what, Thursday for the All Blacks...

Wish all teams would name their teams early. It's almost impossible to play fantasy rugby in the URC for example with teams coming out the day before if you're lucky.

Just for interest sake while we wait.

If NZ win by 15+ points they go to no.1 above Ireland.
A win by less they stay at 2 even if they'd be just below Ireland.
A draw will mean very little movement.
Any win for SA swaps us with NZ into 2nd. We cannot go tops.
A win by 15+ for SA will send NZ to 4th below France, otherwise they go 3rd with a narrow loss.

Just for interest sake while we wait.

If NZ win by 15+ points they go to no.1 above Ireland.
A win by less they stay at 2 even if they'd be just below Ireland.
A draw will mean very little movement.
Any win for SA swaps us with NZ into 2nd. We cannot go tops.
A win by 15+ for SA will send NZ to 4th below France, otherwise they go 3rd with a narrow loss.
How can Newzealand go number 1 when Ireland haven't lost? Doesn't make sense. Especially when Ireland beat Newzealand the last time they played.

How can Newzealand go number 1 when Ireland haven't lost? Doesn't make sense. Especially when Ireland beat Newzealand the last time they played.
.....thats not how the ratings work.....its based over 2 years (i think) results...teams move up and down without playing all the time

You should take it for what it is and though Idon't believe it should ever be used as a definitive measure it is a handy indicator of form across time. I think it should be seen as an indicator that NZ are flying high right now taking recent results in mind. SA is ranked high still and them beating us by 15+ just about counts for double. That's the most recent result and hence their high points.

You should also keep in mind that win or lose NZ will be mighty close to Ireland and IMO that's a fair enough indication of recent results. In the last 5 games, Ireland have beaten NZ 3 times too 2 but NZ have the higher scoring at 142 against 117 and both their wins were by 15+ whereas none of Ireland's were (highest being 11 points difference) which do have a big impact on the rankings. All in all its a close call between the two and the rankings indicate that so fair enough IMO.

It's an indicator, nothing more.
Last week, France beat Fiji by 15+ at the same time as South Africa beat Wales by 15+
Fiji started the weekend ahead of Wales
But because France were at home and South Africa were away from home, South Africa earned more ranking points; and therefore overtook France in the table. The difference between those 2 teams is now 0.15 points. Home advantage counts for 3 whole points.

The rankings currently say that Ireland are better than NZ - by 1.05 points; so by about 1/3 as much as home advantage would account for.
This weekend, NZ play South Africa on neutral territory. Because South Africa are good, there's quite a few rankings points up for grabs, and they can overtake a team who aren't playing.

So it's similar to a league structure, but one with more nuance than "everyone plays everyone else H&A". In a league structure, if you're 1 point ahead of your rival, but have a rest weekend, and your rival wins their match - they overtake you, even if you beat that rival last time you played. Same goes here.

IIRC, this has been the case for 20-odd years now, it really shouldn't be news to any rugby fan.

I was not expecting NZ to go less experimental than us TBH. Gonna be a match!

That match will be officiated by England's Matthew Carley with Christophe Ridley (England) and Craig Evans (Wales) the assistant referees.

Tom Foley of England will be in the TMO booth.

Kick-off in that match will be 20:30 (SA time)

I am unfamiliar with Matt Carley but he isn't Andrew Brace!

I am unfamiliar with Matt Carley but he isn't Andrew Brace!
He's decent tbf,

I always gets refs names mixed up (usually recognise their faces more than their names) but from memory he's probably only behind Pearce and Barnes as RFU refs

I think both coaches are just gonna say go have fun and express yourselves. Its gonna be one of those 42-35 kind of games. Cant see us winning this though. But I do have a sneaky feeling this could be an absolute cracker.

Latest posts