• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

SA team vs Saracens on 17th Nov

We were blown out of the game i'm afraid. I thought we were better than Saracens, as they only really looked dangerous once or twice in the entire game. Did we set a record for penalties conceded?

Dewald Potgieter was very good tonight. Really hope to see him fill in for shitty Burger. He is twice the player Burger is.

Anyway, I'm off to go and make some equations....

so, SA 2nd Team + 1 week = B & I Lions draw... - (some energy + shittness) = the square of 2 club sides (- starters) = -2nd team SA = error 2 win

Thus...

WTF is going on?

Well, the Springboks are embarrassing themselves with great speed and determination. Long live PDV!

Wow SA went from nuber one in the world to like number 6 in 3 weeks apprenty NH is better then SH

Like these mid week matches even count as tests? Haha, I can see everyone getting stuck in the World Champions being beaten etc etc, but it was actually the Springbok XV? Suppose if they were wearing the Emerging Bok kit, no one would've said a thing, well at least not "attached" the World Champion tag then?

~Sigh, either way it's matches we should not have expected to lose. I welcome a bit of banter though, so we'll see what happens when the Test Matches resume. Looking forward to the remaining tests.

I love it how whenever a NH club (and mostly their reserves I hasten to add) beats any team from the South, those matches suddenly "Don't matter".

That's not what I meant ;). If it were a match against Counties Manukau it would not have mattered either... not official test rugby.

The mid week matches are to give up and coming players (on this tour some very very inexperienced players) a run, in conjunction with the First XV playing the Test Matches. It serves a purpose, and a return to the old Traditional Structure of tour matches. Suggesting the AI are completely pointless is not what I'm saying, that'll be silly now wouldn't it?

The AIs ARE completely pointless, only serving as money spinning exercises for the unions in one last "harrumph" and throwback to the amateur era - Who I may add are nothing like most northern fans (notice "fans" not "bandwagon riders"). Up here there are various club competitions - professional with relegation and everything - which continue playing while theses money-spinners are on.

Now, you lot like the AIs. You certainly give it a lot more spiel then anyone in this part of the world (except the Irish who are all currently in bandwagon mode - not to mention denial that Ireland actually aren't very good). Something like a Club vs Country match should means a lot more, because our lot actually are part of the clubs. They're just customers to the national setups. Leicester and Sarries combined attendences being just about the same as the whole Lions tour (minus tests) to South Africa in the summer...

They are money spinners but they certainly arent pointless.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Teh Mite @ Nov 18 2009, 10:58 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Now, you lot like the AIs. You certainly give it a lot more spiel then anyone in this part of the world[/b]
Not true. Turn on your TV and watch Sky TV for about 10 mins.

The club competitions are ongoing in England and Wales but attendances are around the 7000-8000 mark. Not bad, but not quite the 45,000 that watched Sarries take on the Boks.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Teh Mite @ Nov 18 2009, 10:58 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
except the Irish who are all currently in bandwagon mode - not to mention denial that Ireland actually aren't very good.[/b]
Amazing how you manage to go off topic and have a go at the Irish every second or third post.
Incidently, we have won back to back HEC and a Grand Slam. Not saying were good or anything but its not bad really.

ah but sher the challenge cup is the only competition that "actually means somthing" Logs!!

Oh please you beat England, ANYONE CAN BEAT ENGLAND!

Sorry :D

I was hoping the Saracens would win, hopefully HOPEFULLY PdV will select the right players in the future.

It doesn't matter but that doesn't make these losses any less embarrassing even if you wouldn't have backed the dirt trackers when you actually think it through. The record books will not show the particulars, though and that's why I feel everyone involved should make a better effort because what it boils down to is that our national team got beaten by English club sides.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Logorrhea @ Nov 18 2009, 11:27 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
They are money spinners but they certainly arent pointless.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Teh Mite @ Nov 18 2009, 10:58 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Now, you lot like the AIs. You certainly give it a lot more spiel then anyone in this part of the world[/b]
Not true. Turn on your TV and watch Sky TV for about 10 mins.

The club competitions are ongoing in England and Wales but attendances are around the 7000-8000 mark. Not bad, but not quite the 45,000 that watched Sarries take on the Boks.

except the Irish who are all currently in bandwagon mode - not to mention denial that Ireland actually aren't very good.[/b]
Amazing how you manage to go off topic and have a go at the Irish every second or third post.
Incidently, we have won back to back HEC and a Grand Slam. Not saying were good or anything but its not bad really.
[/b][/quote]

:huh:

They are pointless money spinners. Who gains anything out of them? In football, they'd be called "friendlies" and people wouldn't realise they're even happening until 2 days before kick off.

You'll fins Sarries v Saints at Wembley attracted a bigger crowd then Sarries v South Effrica

The Guinness Premiership Final last season sold more tickets then England vs new Zealand has so far... And let's not forget a certain sellout match at Croke park.

And to your other point...
Also... Ireland won a Grand Slam by the skin of their teeth against shitty English, Scottish and Welsh teams. Then they barely salvaged a draw against a developmental Australian team full of kids who aren't expected to do anything but learn this season. Also, 56 years is chuffing long "back-to-back".

And when did "Ireland" ever compete in the HEC?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (stormer2010 @ Nov 18 2009, 01:51 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
It doesn't matter but that doesn't make these losses any less embarrassing even if you wouldn't have backed the dirt trackers when you actually think it through. The record books will not show the particulars, though and that's why I feel everyone involved should make a better effort because what it boils down to is that our national team got beaten by English club sides.[/b]
I know that doesn't go down too well, but it happened, and it's what we've learned from that. At least we can gauge that De Jongh, Potgieter and Johnson have potential and have stuck their hands up as candidates for the future. We also know that a bunch of these players do not cut the mustard. Look back to 2006 when we experimented with the end of year tour, where a certain Frans Steyn emerged. This time however, our failed experiment happened against Club sides.

Forget everything the best part of the evening was "the biggest cheer last night at Wembley came, not during the 80 minutes of action but, during the half-time break when Saracens gave away £250 000 to a lucky fan.

Stuart Tinner from the small town of Welwyn in Hertfordshire walked off with the cash when he won the "Saracens Crossbar Challenge". He kicked the rugby ball, out of hand, from 30 metres out and hit the cross bar of the posts. The 47 000 fans went wild."

I actually think it was Prestwick thats why we have not heard from him.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Opperstopper @ Nov 19 2009, 12:43 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I was hoping the Saracens would win, hopefully HOPEFULLY PdV will select the right players in the future.[/b]

Methamphetamine addicts struggle with speaking, let alone selecting rugby teams

Coaches and players all believe they are worth while, the problem is the frequency of them. Englands WC winning team frequently talked of the importance of beating the SH teams home and away. These were key matches to them winning the WC. In general you want to, and need to test yourself against the best. Just not so often that players are burning out.

Ireland salvaged a draw in their first match in six months against the team ranked above them in the world rankings. A team that completely dominated an optimistic English side just the week before. The fact that we should have beaten them says it all for me. Either way you paint one picture, I paint another.

Referencing the past is going even further off topic. You said we are in denial, and on some sort of Bandwagon. I pointed out that there are results that point to us being reasonably good. Though nowhere near France in real terms.

Why you want to talk about Ireland though in a Sarries vs South Africa thread though I dont know. Just wanted to clear up a few things for you is all.

Latest posts