• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Saddam execution imminent

yeah a real tragedy this isn't going to be shown live, nothing better than watching someone die live. :angry:

Executions used to be public. We all share in this...that was the point. When someone is put to death, they are done so for the public's sake, therefore, the public should be made to watch it. Death is real, and if we sentence someone to death we should have to experience the realness of the event. If not, then you aren't willing to take responsibility for it (the execution).

yeah a real tragedy this isn't going to be shown live, nothing better than watching someone die live. :angry: [/b]

And you have sympathy for this man?

Well, it's been done and it seems some major US networks (including abc) will show footage of it in some form, if it is released.

To be honest I can't seem to agree with death. It just doesn't seem in the best interests of the iraqi goverment. He shouldn't be made a martar (sp?), so why not keep him alive and beat him daily. What ever happened to public stonings??

And for George Bush saying this is a win for democracy.... what BS!! No, not for democracy, its for himself. When will he realise that finishing what his dad started was not a smart thing to do and that Iraq are currently in a civil war and should sort it out for themselves??

It would have been better justice to have locked him up for the rest of his life in some shitty cell somewhere. They didn't call him the Butcher of Baghdad for nothing and it seems to me that executing him was a bit of a copout for him.

He deserved far worse.

if this was in my hands...i would make him play rugby in the heineken cup....

oh the boredom....it would insure that he commit suicide without killing anyone else thus removing his martar status and giving him the "HACHMAGUNDHI..BORAT" status as a complete idiot...

or just sit him in a cell..cut his eyelids off and make him watch superleague for a lifetime...

"NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO".....

Or if that didn't work, we could have him try to decipher one of your posts. That'd drive him insane before he slit his wrists. Or his head explodes.

Anyway, bbc.co.uk;

news_logo.gif
Saddam Hussein executed in Iraq
In a last act of defiance Saddam Hussein refused to wear a hood
Saddam's fall Former Iraqi President Saddam Hussein has been executed by hanging at a secure facility in northern Baghdad for crimes against humanity. The news was confirmed to the BBC by the Iraqi deputy foreign minister.

Iraqi TV said the execution took place just before 0600 local time (0300GMT). A representative of the prime minister and a Sunni Muslim cleric were present.

Two co-defendants, Saddam Hussein's half-brother and a former chief judge, are to be executed at a later date.

All three were sentenced to death by an Iraqi court on 5 November after a year-long trial over the 1982 killings of 148 Shias in the town of Dujail.

Holding Koran

A small group of Iraqis witnessed the execution inside a building at an Iraqi compound known by the Americans as Camp Justice, a secure facility in the northern Baghdad suburb of Khadimeya.

We took him to the gallows and he was saying some few slogans. He was very, very, very, broken
Iraqi National Security Adviser Mouwafak al-Rubaie They watched as a judge read out the sentence to Saddam Hussein. The former Iraqi leader was carrying a copy of the Koran and asked for it to be given to a friend. The noose was then placed around his neck. When the hangman stepped forward to put the hood over his head, Saddam Hussein made it clear he wanted to die without it.

The execution procedure took just a few minutes.

Iraqi National Security Advisor Mouwafak al-Rubaie, who witnessed the execution, told the BBC that the former leader went to the gallows quietly:

"When we received him, he was handcuffed and holding the Koran on his chest. And he sat and the judge read the detailed sentence, or conviction, of Saddam Hussein.

Then, after that, we took him to the gallows and he was saying some few slogans. He was very, very, very, broken."

Video footage of the execution is expected to be released as final proof of Saddam Hussein's demise although it is expected to stop short of showing the actual death.

In other developments:

• US troops and Iraqi security forces are put on high alert and security is increased at US embassies around the world
  • A bomb explodes in a market place in the mainly Shia city of Kufa, in southern Iraq, killing at least 30 people and injuring 45
  • The US military says that a US soldier was killed by a roadside bomb in Baghdad on Friday and three marines died from wounds suffered in combat in Iraq's western Anbar province
'End of a dark period'

News of Saddam Hussein's execution was broadcast on state-run Iraqiya television, as patriotic music and images of national monuments were played out.

It is an important milestone on Iraq's course to becoming a democracy that can govern, sustain, and defend itself
US President George W Bush
It initially said Saddam Hussein was hanged first, followed by Barzan and then Bandar. However, Iraqi national security adviser, Mouwafak al-Rubaie, later said only Saddam Hussein was hanged.

"We wanted him to be executed on a special day," Mr al-Rubaie told Iraqiya, adding that Saddam Hussein "totally surrendered" and did not resist.

Saddam Hussein's half-brother Barzan al-Tikriti and Iraq's former chief judge Awad Hamed al-Bandar are to be executed some time after the Eid festival ends next week, he said.

Other Arab TV stations aired live footage of the sunrise over Baghdad's Firdous Square, where US Marines pulled down a statue of Saddam Hussein, after he was deposed in April 2003.

There were jubilant scenes in the Baghdad Shia stronghold of Sadr City, with people dancing in the streets and sounding their car horns.

The BBC's Peter Greste in Baghdad says Shias have generally welcomed Saddam Hussein's death and hailed the execution as justice for the suffering endured under his leadership.

But Saddam's own Sunni tribesman were angered by his treatment and may well protest once more, our correspondent adds.

'Held to account'

US President George W Bush hailed the execution as "an important milestone" on the road to building an Iraqi democracy, but warned it would not end the deadly violence there.

I feel saddened by the death of Saddam, not because he deserved to live but because it is taking place under US occupation of Iraq
Nafeesa Zafar, Pakistan
He said: "It is a testament to the Iraqi people's resolve to move forward after decades of oppression that, despite his terrible crimes against his own people, Saddam Hussein received a fair trial.

"It is an important milestone on Iraq's course to becoming a democracy that can govern, sustain, and defend itself, and be an ally in the War on Terror."

UK Foreign Secretary Margaret Beckett welcomed the fact that Saddam Hussein had been tried by an Iraqi court "for at least some of the appalling crimes he committed" and said "he has now been held to account".

France called on Iraqis to "look towards the future and work towards reconciliation and national unity".

The Video has been Shown on Iraqi TV and will most likely be shown on the net somewhere...

There is a sense of an era just ending. We've (The US) been after Saddam since I was a kid.
Hussein_hangs.jpg

SWING LOW SWEET TIRANT, COMING FORTH TO CARRY THE GOLD

I dunno someone else can finish this off

Keep holding on to that Koran, Saddam! Maybe you can paper cut someone on your way out!

What a ****** he was. I've just seen footage of the celebrations goin on in Iraq. If anyone has seen footage saying that the Iraquies are ******, please share that, for I live in America, and my news is biased.

Couldn't have happened to a nicer bloke.

That said, I can't buy into all the emotive crap that'll no doubt be in the papers today... sure he was a butcher, but if he was beneficial enough to us I'd wager we'd have kept him in power.
Still, glad to see him gone.