• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Saddam to be Hanged

nice call on the nail it to the table, but i think he'd die from blood loss

seriously though i would have no problem doin it to him.. he heart-lessly killed the people up north with mustard gas or whatever the hell it was, i think thats just rotten and he shouldnt go painlessly for all the pain he caused to those before him.

May I just say "HA-ha" in a Nelson voice. Those are my thoughts on the verdict.

Nelson-Ha-Ha.jpg

That is all.

Let the ******* die! Broadcast it on live television and lets all have a nice night in and laugh at the c**t

Let the ******* die! Broadcast it on live television and lets all have a nice night in and laugh at the c**t
[/b]

I'm not a huge fan of the death penalty, but I guess he's undeniably badass. On a political side, that sort of thing you mention being carried out would have thousands of Islamic extremists in the street firing off AKs and waving pictures of Saddam and proclaiming him a martyr. As if we're not already going to get that. On another side, this comment is bloodthirsty and retarded. As was mentioned, it's this kind of action which lowers us down to his level and perhaps even lower, creating a never ending downward spiral of violence.

I hate to have to inject the 'realist' line back in to the debate, but it seems to help keep things in perspective when people are getting emotional.
Saddam should hang, the man was a tyranical dictator that had little regard for human life. That said, in the realm of International politics there are many more (with differing degrees of disregard for life) like him, some friends of the west, some not. The difference comes down to which ones protect our interest.
I'm just saying this because verdicts like this make people feel all warm and fuzzy as if we're out there 'fighting for good' or something. Yeah, Saddam was a prick, but that wasn't the reason we were after him. Basically I'm just saying the 'moral superiority' present in many of the comments on this thread are somewhat misguided considering the reality of the situation.

I hate to have to inject the 'realist' line back in to the debate, but it seems to help keep things in perspective when people are getting emotional.
Saddam should hang, the man was a tyranical dictator that had little regard for human life. That said, in the realm of International politics there are many more (with differing degrees of disregard for life) like him, some friends of the west, some not. The difference comes down to which ones protect our interest.
I'm just saying this because verdicts like this make people feel all warm and fuzzy as if we're out there 'fighting for good' or something. Yeah, Saddam was a prick, but that wasn't the reason we were after him. Basically I'm just saying the 'moral superiority' present in many of the comments on this thread are somewhat misguided considering the reality of the situation.
[/b]

aren't you talking about, for example, our friend george bush, more interested in money and profits than in the life of his own soldiers ('cause they are dying for oil at the moment) !!??

saddam should be jailed in a 1m² cell for the rest of his life. that would make him think !!! death is not enough for what he did and we can't unfortunatly torture him, even if he deserves it ... but that would be using his own methods, the ones we're supposed to fight against. so i think the 1m² cell would be big enough for his crimes.

<div class='quotemain'>
[/b]

aren't you talking about, for example, our friend george bush, more interested in money and profits than in the life of his own soldiers ('cause they are dying for oil at the moment) !!??

saddam should be jailed in a 1m² cell for the rest of his life. that would make him think !!! death is not enough for what he did and we can't unfortunatly torture him, even if he deserves it ... but that would be using his own methods, the ones we're supposed to fight against. so i think the 1m² cell would be big enough for his crimes.
[/b][/quote]
Or, they could banish him to the ocean, never alowed to set foot on land again. That'd teach him.

"Hey Sadaam, How's the water?"
"Shutup you wiseguy, you know how the water is...pretty f___ing miserable."
"How's that doggy paddling thing working for ya?"
"Yous guys are A-Holes, every day it's 'How's the Doggypaddling?' I'll tell you how the dog paddle is, I was paddling dogs before your mother paddled you."
"So you're saying you like to spank dogs?"
"Who are you George W Bush pt. II, twisting my words like that, you infadel."

FIN

[/b]

classic french view point eh?

I love how he "doesn't care about their lives" first of all, if it were for oil why are we still paying $2.50-3.10 a gallon? Secondly, thats their job, to protect this country, and let me see here if im not mistaken i believe Bush has the power to send the military into conflict if he sees fit, thats what they get paid for. Third, it wasnt just Bush who sent them over, look at the whole congress, senate, house of representatives.

Classic french viewpoint, with the classic french battle flag White on White.. oh yes i forgot you supply the weapons to saddam, hope the sanction would be lifted so your own oil giants could secure the oil.. so basically our troops are getting fired at by iraqi's who were supplied by your ignorant french selves.. dispicable.

Classic french viewpoint, with the classic french battle flag White on White.. oh yes i forgot you supply the weapons to saddam, hope the sanction would be lifted so your own oil giants could secure the oil.. so basically our troops are getting fired at by iraqi's who were supplied by your ignorant french selves.. dispicable.
[/b]

Everyone buys oil from the Iraqis. The French actually use a lot of nuclear power so maybe if you want to accuse you should look elsewhere.

<div class='quotemain'>

[/b]

I love how he "doesn't care about their lives" first of all, if it were for oil why are we still paying $2.50-3.10 a gallon? Secondly, thats their job, to protect this country, and let me see here if im not mistaken i believe Bush has the power to send the military into conflict if he sees fit, thats what they get paid for. Third, it wasnt just Bush who sent them over, look at the whole congress, senate, house of representatives.

[/b][/quote]

Well that smacks of hypocrisy alright, you do realise that the US sold weapons to Saddam don't you?

<div class='quotemain'>

[/b]

[/b][/quote]

It definately is Bush's job to'protect his country', the defining point however, is how he goes about it. You see there is a major difference between offensive and defensive security strategies. Bush and the neo-conservatives (always thought this was a funny contradiction in terms, there's nothing 'conservative' about the current administration) have what's called an 'offensive realist' approach to security and foreign policy, which means they see the best way to achieve security as being by seeking global hegemony. In order to gain this they look for 'monsters' overseas that can be sufficiently hated by the public to get their mind off the fact that in order to achieve this massive military control they also have to begin taking away domestic social security systems and civil freedoms.

In any case, it doesn't seem to be working... Iraq is a mess and Bush seems to have copped a hammering in the mid terms! Thank god the US is still reasonably democratic (I say 'reasonably, because of the 2001 election).

<div class='quotemain'>
<div class='quotemain'>

[/b]

[/b][/quote]

Well that smacks of hypocrisy alright, you do realise that the US sold weapons to Saddam don't you?
[/b][/quote]

Of course it does, but many people fall into the trap of 'rooting for the home team' assuming their country must be in the right, regardless of the historical context. It really just goes to illustrate the ridiculous nature of the rhetoric espoused by statesmen like Bush... it's all just for domestic and then international consumption. Lets not forget that the Japanese weren't technically at war with China untill well into WW2 despite a long standing invasion, for a long time they were simply "quelling a Chinese rebel force".

DC, I know you want to hate the French, but there is very little difference in the attitudes of either government. In quoting Lord Palmerston, the French foreign secretary (I think it was) in the 80s claimed "France has no permanent friends, only permanent interests". In sync with this, recently the former US ambassador to Australia was asked "would the US honour it's treaty and come to defend Australia were they attacked by an outside power?" To which the response was given "it would depend if it was seen to be in our interest to do so." The presenter then asked "so the treaty isn't worth the paper its written on?" Again, the former US ambassador said "no treaty is worth the paper its written on."

You see what I'm getting at? You may think of yourselves as 'the goodies', but that just isn't real life.

Yes, you did. At the time it seemed like a good idea of course. You were using him to fight against the Russians in Afganistan, a war which was termed the 'Vietnam of the Soviet Union', and it worked brilliantly for that occasion... It's just that he didn't stay on your side, much like Saddam.

People only want to be Americas friend for the television, mcdonalds and coca-cola...then they always leave.

How funny though...who are we training this go 'round to defeat the terrorists and Iraqis that will be killing us in 10 years? Probably the Swedes!!!!

there'd be more trouble if they hang him...wonder if the democrats will try to pull the troops out of iraq. they'd probably just drag saddams appeal on indefinitely

is there anywhere i can find live feeds online from al jazeera TV??

Latest posts