• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Saints get League 'star'

B

Bullitt

Stephen_Mylercrop.jpg

Northampton Saints RFU Academy has added a further top quality player to its ranks in rugby league half-back Stephen Myler. Myler is currently playing for the Salford City Reds having played for St Helens academy then Widnes.

Myler played in 24 games while with Widnes, scoring three tries and kicking 16 goals. He has made 15 appearances for Salford this season, scoring one try and kicking 16 goals.

This will not be the first time Saints have recruited from rugby league in that Heineken Cup medal winners Allan Bateman and Andy Northey played for Warrington and St Helens respectively.

The 22-year-old hails from the famous Myler family that produced Great Britain and Widnes stand-off Frank Myler, Stephen’s great-uncle. He played in the 1960 and 1970 World Cups â€" and was the only player, from any of the competing countries, of the 1960 World Cup to take part in the 1970 tournament. He was also the last man to captain an Ashes winning team in Australia.

His father John Myler kicked 243 goals for Widnes between 1976 and 1988, and uncle Tony Myler, also a stand-off, coached Warrington and St Helen’s in the early years of the Super League.

Myler is a proven goal-kicker and can play at fly-half or centre.

Academy director James Sinclair said: “We are very excited at the prospect of Stephen’s arrival. He comes to us with a great pedigree in rugby league but is eager to make his mark in rugby union and we hope Saints Academy can help him do just that.â€

Myler will arrive at Franklin’s Gardens in October following the completion of the Super League season.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Who the f*** are you?

Stephen_Mylercrop.jpg

Who the f*** are you?
[/b]

I would agree with that statement.

Although to be fair I think I said something similar about Bruce Reihana, and look what happened there...

While we're on the topic o signings, anyone know how canuck no 8 sean micheal stephen is doing in the try outs? Has he been cut? Moved to another team?

While we're on the topic o signings, anyone know how canuck no 8 sean micheal stephen is doing in the try outs? Has he been cut? Moved to another team?
[/b]

I watched him play for our 2nd XV last week and although it was raining, he was a bit **** to be honest. He might still be training with us, I'm not sure, but I doubt he'll be offered a contract when we already have two first team 8s better than him.

His contact skills aren't good enough at the moment, and picking from the base of scrum or ruck he really didn't make much ground.

Canadians don't seem to have much luck here...

That's sort of too bad, he's been a force with the Canadian side so far. Perhaps he needs a little more development or he's just having a bad time.

Latest posts