• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Saints Unbeaten in 2006

Originally posted by loratadine@Feb 12 2006, 03:02 PM
carlos spencer is not the best kicker.
Very insightful. <_<

The worst thing is that it has taken us until halfway through the season to realise that Spencer is a better option than Bruce from long distance, due to sheer power.

Could be less of a problem now, with new guys Kydd and Pritchard who can also have a shot at the kicking duties if necessary.

Originally posted by Air Ben@Feb 12 2006, 11:15 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE
Unless he's taught himself to kick since he went to the old folks home, there is no way in hell I would want Spencer doing the Goal Kicking, and thats coming from a person who worships the water he walks on.

And why's that? [/b][/quote]
Just watch the England vs NZ test in 2003... come to think of it, any Test from the 2003 AB's campaign where Spencer did the kicking (Except for the South African test) or any Auckland/Blues games of the 2002 NPC/2003 S12.

Phil, Bruce's kicking got us a valuable draw against Waspies today, now what do YOU have to say about that then :lol:

Apparently Kydd's meant to be a half decent goal kicker...I hope he is because Reihana's percentage is only around 60...not great.

Really? Never knew that...all I know is that Kydd did used to kick for Sarries before Glen Jackson. I'd like to see some experimentation; Drahm was inconsistent enough but pretty good....it's unacceptable at the mo. Especially considering how Grayse slotted almost everything in his day...

Saints unbeaten?

As are the Mighty Quins!!!! :bravo: :bravo: :bravo: :bravo: :bravo:

B)

Well, I don't know about anyone else, but I think that's really added to the conversation...

Anyhew;

Originally posted by Muse_Cubed@Feb 13 2006, 04:03 PM
Really?  Never knew that...all I know is that Kydd did used to kick for Sarries before Glen Jackson.  I'd like to see some experimentation; Drahm was inconsistent enough but pretty good....it's unacceptable at the mo.  Especially considering how Grayse slotted almost everything in his day...
There isn't going to be another Larry for a long time, considering he was easily the best kicker in the world for nigh-on all of his career. When you get used to that for so long, it puts a hell of a lot of pressure on Reihana to live up to his example, especially as he was never the worlds greatest kicker.

As for JC being a kicker? Who the hell told you that load of codswallop Ben? He's a fantastic up-and-coming player, but that doesn't mean he can do everything.

Well for a start he played briefly for the wandies (as I remember)...

He can be great a kicking in play, but probably wouldn't suit the kicking duties...

Originally posted by Air Ben@Feb 20 2006, 09:21 AM
Well for a start he played briefly for the wandies (as I remember)...

He can be great a kicking in play, but probably wouldn't suit the kicking duties...
:wall:
Just because he can kick in General Play doesn't mean he would make a good goal kicker... or even a half decent goal Kicker... or even deserve to be labeled a goal kicker.

I meant he played FH/did the kicking duties for the Wandies a few times some time ago.

:huh:

I have to say on the kicking duties of Saints, i would really look for an alternative to bruce. While he looks like a real 'tryer', he never converts those kicks from penalties you need. If any saints were at the boxing day game against sale, sale were very poor and gave away many penalties. Although reihana missed many and this led for the team morale to drop.

However i have to say saints look a very good unit when they have their full complement of players. Lamont, Cohen and Spencer etc..... but these days they are on international duties. So when it comes to the 'B' teams clashes, you really need to nail the penalties. Sale have been competent with this, hercus last year and larrachea,courrent and wiggy sharing it this year when hodgy is away. So Sale are towards the top, but saints are not because of the kicking.

I can't really see spencer to be that bad an experiment, he's a fly half. Surely he has some kicking skills to talk about.

BM

Any Blues fan/Kiwi will tell you that Spencer on his day coul proberbly hit a penalty from under his own posts. However, when it's his not his day ~(more often than not), he can't kick a penalty for shite.

Latest posts