• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Salary Cap Investigations

No - it should be averaged over the length of a contract that was in place at the time.

If Dodgy Nigel wants to pay someone 500k in wages in each of 3 years, but makes an additional lump sum payment of 1.5m into said someone's business in the first month of those 3 years, then that is effective 1m a year.

There is absolutely no other way of cutting it. That additional lump sum was negotiated as part of a 3 year contract and should therefore be at least* effective on all 3 years of that contract.

That's a very big if. Otherwise you're making a lot of big assumptions. You appear to be assuming that the only shareholder of the company in question is the player in question and that the money is a cash injection. On the flip side, the company could be owned 50/50 by Wray and the player (hence "co-investment") and the payment could be in the form of a director's loan.

That's a very big if. Otherwise you're making a lot of big assumptions. You appear to be assuming that the only shareholder of the company in question is the player in question and that the money is a cash injection. On the flip side, the company could be owned 50/50 by Wray and the player (hence "co-investment") and the payment could be in the form of a director's loan.

Jeez - I'm making a quite concise post for a forum. I don't give two fkks for every eventuality at this point!

Whatever way you want to structure the interface across company(ies), its not hard to determine by following the money trail whether said company(ies) were a joint investment with tangible outgoings and overheads or were a sham.

Jeez - I'm making a quite concise post for a forum. I don't give two fkks for every eventuality at this point!

Whatever way you want to structure the interface across company(ies), its not hard to determine by following the money trail whether said company(ies) were a joint investment with tangible outgoings and overheads or were a sham.

You were stating that there is only one eventuality. In the post I replied to, you said "There is absolutely no other way of cutting it.". You now appear to be saying that there are many ways of cutting it, which can be determined on a case by case basis, which seems an entirely more reasonable point of view.

You were stating that there is only one eventuality. In the post I replied to, you said "There is absolutely no other way of cutting it.". You now appear to be saying that there are many ways of cutting it, which can be determined on a case by case basis, which seems an entirely more reasonable point of view.

You have completely misunderstood what I meant by that - or are being deliberately obtuse. I'm not sure which.

As said in prev post, you can structure the brown envelope whatever way you want - but that brown envelope will have effect over the term of the official contract.

It is the bit in bold that was the important part. The italics are a sideshow.

You cannot have folks cheating the system and then decide to interpret those misdemeanours in the most advantageous way to the offender. That's fukking madness.

Wray retires with immediate effect reported on BBC.
Fell on own sword ?.

Saracens squad could be dismantled, says interim chief executive Edward Griffiths - http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/51013178

Now ots coming out that they are worried about being over the salary cap next year and may have to sell players.

"One would be to reduce the head count and the other would be for people to take a pay cut. Now I'm not saying either or both are necessary, but those would be the two options or a combination of the two."

Saracens squad could be dismantled, says interim chief executive Edward Griffiths - http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/51013178

Now ots coming out that they are worried about being over the salary cap next year and may have to sell players.

"One would be to reduce the head count and the other would be for people to take a pay cut. Now I'm not saying either or both are necessary, but those would be the two options or a combination of the two."

A change of tone.

If they do lose players, I'd think they'll move heaven and earth to keep their big names, but lesser lights / solid club players and those getting on a bit may be at risk - Maitland, Goode and Wray maybe. Barritt is Mr Saracens but is 33 and presumably expensive. With Kpoku emerging maybe Skelton could be on his way. Wiggles is ancient, Lewington's made little impact.

Will be interesting - the vultures from other clubs will be circling.

A change of tone.

If they do lose players, I'd think they'll move heaven and earth to keep their big names, but lesser lights / solid club players and those getting on a bit may be at risk - Maitland, Goode and Wray maybe. Barritt is Mr Saracens but is 33 and presumably expensive. With Kpoku emerging maybe Skelton could be on his way. Wiggles is ancient, Lewington's made little impact.

Will be interesting - the vultures from other clubs will be circling.
It wouldn't surprise me if Barritt offers to take a pay cut with the caveat being a contract length which suits him, giving him the security of a guaranteed deal and an eventual fulltime coaching role, I can also see Goode doing a year or two in France...

I've seen some Sarries fans say Barritt is likely to retire - Wigglesworth is as well.
Those two + Williams leaving is a chunk of change.
I imagine they cut costs this season as well - Strettle, Burger and Bosch all left and only Daly was a big name coming the other way.

I've seen some Sarries fans say Barritt is likely to retire - Wigglesworth is as well.
Those two + Williams leaving is a chunk of change.
I imagine they cut costs this season as well - Strettle, Burger and Bosch all left and only Daly was a big name coming the other way.
Don't see the potential fire sale being too dramatic, their squad's that deep that trimming the fat will be enough, don't see a single England player leaving IMO...

However they play it they'd be daft not to allow themselves a decent amount of headroom just in case there's a little accounting error or divergence in rule interpretation......

However they play it they'd be daft not to allow themselves a decent amount of headroom just in case there's a little accounting error or divergence in rule interpretation......

Rumours of Malins and Kpoku going. Williams, Guessing Wiggs will go and maybe Goode and Barrett would be up for pay cut for a longer contract.

But what is the contract situation? They might want to get some people out who still have another year and pushed to get rid of some because they just happen to be out of contract at the time they need room in the cap. Anyone know who is out of contract?

They need room in the cap for what is said above and to not be in the same situation in a few years when the likes of Earl and Iseikwe Ect. Start to ask for more.

Talk atm is that Sarries are offloading players ASAP

Sanjay going to Scarlets before the Six Nations, Figallo, Clarke and Rhodes all being released within the next couple of weeks

Reckon Salaries will keep Malins as will see him as heir to Farrell/Goode. Kpoku might be more difficult to keep as they have a well stocked cupboard of Itoje, Iseikwe, Kruis and recently signed Skelton. Wonder if one of those lot will leave to let Kpoku and his brother come through.

Daily Mail (i know not the best source) reckons that Barritt, Figallo, Rhodes, Wiggs, Clark, Lewington are the ones who will suffer. Obviously Williams and maybe even Goode which is pretty brutal.

also, does anyone know of a list of all players in the prem out of contract this year? (roughly). Most club forums have one but would be interesting to see them all together.

Wigglesworth was always going to retire this season, I think - only signed a 1yr deal when he renewed and he has been doing coaching (including with Canada at the world cup). He'll, no doubt, be part of Sarries backroom staff next season.

Heard a rumour just after Jonny Gray was announced that Sarries want Chiefs looking into, don't know if its just their fans complaining or someone with more gravitas...

That'd be pretty funny considering how much Rowe has been crowing in the press this season,
Doubt they are, though.

That'd be pretty funny considering how much Rowe has been crowing in the press this season,
Doubt they are, though.
For a start whenever we bring someone in, we let someone go Hogg for Cordero, Gray for Dennis?, so we don't stockpile like Sarries, there's no way Rowe and Baxter would have been so vocal if they weren't 100% sure..

Latest posts