• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Salary Cap Investigations

Yep. Closing a loophole should never come with retrospective punishment for the existence of said loophole.
As far as I can tell though, the property portfolio thing wasn't a loophole, but explicitly against the reg.s

Either way, the options would surely be
A] Loophole closed - Sarries need to comply within 2 years (doable without breaking contract law) - would be very interesting to see what effect that has on the squad. Are they close enough and winning enough to stay put with a 10% pay-cur all round?

B] Loophole made official, in which case the salary cap no longer exists and were in a financial arms race that currently, Lansdown wins and SH rugby dies
LIrish will get an oil tycoon backing them and use his money to sign most of the ABs and the rest of SA that hasnt gone to Sale :p.

But in all seriousness this loop whole within regs or not is only bad for the game and just needs removing but i just want to know what will happen at sarries?

What are the buisnesses exactly? Because you cant take assets off the players. Do they get the bennefits they have but have to break ties and just get a normal salary? Or what? Im an engineer not a businessman not not my area.

I like Saracens getting into business with their players

Salary Cap is ineffective, can't be enforced effectively

I condone the bending of the rules off the field

Newest version of the "brown bag"

Teams needs to raise standards or get let behind

Not a fan of mediocre clubs whining for their own self interests

I like Saracens getting into business with their players

Salary Cap is ineffective, can't be enforced effectively

I condone the bending of the rules off the field

Newest version of the "brown bag"

Teams needs to raise standards or get let behind

Not a fan of mediocre clubs whining for their own self interests
How does business with players raise teams standards?

The salary cap is enforceable just sarries have exploted a loophole to stretch it. Close the loophole, make it fair and you get teams at the top being the best teams in terms of individual players, coaching and will be at the top under the salary cap.

We let this loophole be exploited and we risk a cash race, who can throw the most money buys the best team and it because worse off.

In principle i like the idea of teams going into business sith their players. But could make it worse

Only way i can see this loophole working and being inplimented if we say teams can only do it with England qualified players and limit the number of overseas players. Sort of rewarding teams for having homegrown players. As sarries have done tbh but needs to be spresd even and limited(as in a second investment cap) and to X amount of players.

If it can't be, how come we are having this conversation?

We can converse all we alike but Good Luck in getting evidence to prove beyond a reasonable doubt that Saracens breached Salary cap

There's been alot of mud flung at Saracens, nothing so far has stuck

Prefer Saracens methods to brown bags/offshore payments

Personally I'm a believer that clubs should have an individual salary cap, rather than one which sees all in the same bracket. Clubs which raise the most money through match day revenue, generally those who are investing in their infrastructures, fan bases and community involvement, should benefit by being able to spend more those which are less active...so I would give each club a salary cap per season based on that which be attributed to gates and associated spend.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/r...g-avoid-derailing-Englands-World-Cup-bid.html
Saracens salary cap ruling delayed until after Rugby World Cup as Premiership clubs don't want to disrupt England's bid for glory
Premiership Rugby have deferred announcing the results of the inquiry into Saracens' alleged breach of the salary cap due to fears of derailing England's World Cup bid.
Sportsmail has learned that Sport Resolutions, the independent disciplinary panel charged with assessing whether Saracens' investments with players constitute a breach of the £7million cap, have concluded their investigation but their findings will not be made public until after the tournament.
Premiership Rugby Limited (PRL) informed a meeting of club executives last week that a decision on Saracens will be announced 'within the next four weeks' and Sportsmail has been told that a desire to avoid overshadowing the World Cup is the main reason for delaying an announcement that was originally due in the first week of October.

Article Continues...
Talk is that the punishment is exepcted to be huge - and appealed

Last edited:
They say "don't want to affect/disrupt world cup" but surely by saying that alone they already have by what's inferred?

Should be interesting when it all comes out, my popcorn is on standby.

What sort of punishment are we looking at? Will they have to sell players, lose points, fines? Or what?

What sort of punishment are we looking at? Will they have to sell players, lose points, fines? Or what?
Talk is enough points loss to have seen them outside of the too 4 last year, and a fine. To repeat every year until they're back under the cap.
I cannot verify the accuracy of that talk.

Talk is enough points loss to have seen them outside of the too 4 last year, and a fine. To repeat every year until they're back under the cap.
I cannot verify the accuracy of that talk.
How do they get back under it? Sell players but they are contracted.

How do they get back under it? Sell players but they are contracted.
I don't know, and I don't know the accuracy ofnthe above, or how likely an appeal would be to succeed.

My guess would be that not all of their squad is already contracted for next year, and that getting below for then would probably see it being a one-off punishment, even though the breach would have been before this year.
But that's guess work

Well if its true that they have breached it then i hope they are punished because the likes of chiefs couldnt afford to keep Cordero and bring in hogg yet sarries can have their squad of most of the England team and then to add afford add Elliot Daly. Something is dodgy.

Do Prem rugby wish to take Wrays financial clout in a possible protracted legal case.
See a Fine and a small points deduction a closure of various ways to circumvent the salary cap.
Clever people will just find another loophole, whilst a cap is in place there will always be ways around.
PS.
I prefer a level field but am not naive enough to believe it will ever happen.

Points and then what? They keep their players? Or have to break contracts to rezlease players and get under the salary cap ?

Points and then what? They keep their players? Or have to break contracts to rezlease players and get under the salary cap ?

Well surely if they do get a points reduction they have to get under the salary cap or get another one next year, which would mean releasing players.

Latest posts