• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Salary Cap Investigations

Well surely if they do get a points reduction they have to get under the salary cap or get another one next year, which would mean releasing players.
Thats what i mean, talk of williams being offered contracts in france and wanting wales. Everyone will be trying to get a deal or steal players.

If they have been found guilty I would like to see at least point deductions.,A fine and telling off will be a bit of a cop out.

If they have been found guilty I would like to see at least point deductions.,A fine and telling off will be a bit of a cop out.
£5,360,272.31 and -35pts confirmed,

That's a big boy fine and a big boy points reduction!

Sarries on -26pts atm!

Independent Panel rejected their appeal as well.

£5,360,272.31 and -35pts confirmed,

That's a big boy fine and a big boy points reduction!

Sarries on -26pts atm!

Independent Panel rejected their appeal as well.

Just saw it myself, fair play to organisers to have the balls to go through with it.

Does this mean they will have to reduce their squad this year or next?

Could have a big impact on how they do this season..

If they perform like they have n previous campaigns I doubt that's enough points deduction to see them relegated. But that's a big if, a lot we don't know about the practical implications (ie, will they lose players immediately) and the psychological impact (even if they keep their squad for the rest of this season, how good a performance will they get out of players who are either negotiating to stay or to go?).

Edit: that's assuming the issue is considered settled which I doubt it is. Anyone have any insight on the legal position, might they have a case to try and overturn in court, restraint of trade or anything?

Does this mean they will have to reduce their squad this year or next?

Could have a big impact on how they do this season..
Something I read earlier this week said it will have to be reduced by next season

Wow, I'm impressed. So now that they have gone through with it and the appeal has been rejected,what do Sarries do? They surely have to get under the salary cap now, so either players take a huge wage cut or they leave...let's see how strong this wolf pack bond is.

Wow, was expecting them to just get away with everything scott-free, maybe a fine at worst... fair play weren't expecting that!

So minus 26 points and huge fine i wonder what they do. Go hard in europe to win something or chin off europe and focus on prem to ensure they dont get relegated.

Something I read earlier this week said it will have to be reduced by next season

Ahh ok, could be a significant factor. I could see them recovering 26 points and staying up if they have everyone.

Does also give clubs time to find space in their budgets.

I wonder whether they will go down route of keeping one/two big stars and building with youngsters or keep spine of younger team members and offloading likes of Billy, Mako, Farrell, Itoje, Kruis, George, Williams, Daly, Skelton, Maitland, Spencer, Koch, Figallo, Isiekwe, Clark, Goode, Barritt, Lewington, Wigglesworth etc...

To be fair the more you look at that squad...

So they are 30 points behind Bath?

(ach, sure the league has just started)

But target last year was 32 points for safety*, so they need 58 points from now to end of season? That is quite easily achievable.

*Are LI better than Newcastle? If it goes to 42 points for safety - even 68 points for that squad is quite achievable. It'd become much harder though if they started to hemorrhage players through the season.

Last edited:
Wow, I'm impressed. So now that they have gone through with it and the appeal has been rejected,what do Sarries do?
I imagine they'll appeal again - possibly through the courts.
They've always maintained that the "join investments" were all legit/above board/not anything to do with rugby.

Be funny if PRL went all NRL and stripped them of their ***les, like Melbourne Storm were - Chiefs with the hattrick!

Edit:
https://www.premiershiprugby.com/gallagher-premiership-rugby/league-table/
dliEdZB.png

Crikey, here's something to come back onto this site for!

Christmas has come early.

Long overdue.

I imagine they'll appeal again - possibly through the courts.
They've always maintained that the "join investments" were all legit/above board/not anything to do with rugby.

Be funny if PRL went all NRL and stripped them of their ***les, like Melbourne Storm were - Chiefs with the hattrick!

It is really shitty though, all those ***les they have got they have been cheating. This Saracens dominance of the past few years has a really big asterisk next to it now.

Last edited:
I'm surprised that the Elliot Daly & Jack Singleton deals have been allowed to go through, bearing in mind the size of this investigation, oversight on the prem not to suspend in coming transfers during this time..

So they are 30 points behind Bath?

(ach, sure the league has just started)

But target last year was 32 points for safety*, so they need 58 points from now to end of season? That is quite easily achievable.

*Are LI better than Newcastle? If it goes to 42 points for safety - even 68 points for that squad is quite achievable. It'd become much harder though if they started to hemorrhage players through the season.
Even if all their players see out this season, will they play well enough to get those points with morale shot and half the squad shopping around for a new deal? With players whose motivation has always been winning more and more ***les suddenly being in the unfamiliar psychological situation of a relegation dogfight - and knowing that if they do go down they can leave anyway? I wouldn't be surprised to see the go down even if they do keep their players.

Latest posts